Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little more than a week ago my mother-in-law, who lives in Texas, had two registered yorkies come on to her property and came to her fence while her dogs were out. She has an older male neutered pit mix and a beagle. Neither of the dogs have been in any altercations. The yorkies were a block away from there house running without leashes or owners in sight. The pit bull was able to nudge his way throughout the 6 ft wood privacy fence by breaking the gate. He bit one of the yorkies and from what the owner says broke two ribs and a leg. Today he came to my mother-in-law's house asking for split cost of the vet bill which is 600. He was very threating, falsely bringing up the fact that animal control can take action against the dog. Like I had spoke to my mother-in-law and coached her about, I told her to take some time about the matter, don't admit anything and she told the man she would decide what is best. She will have to pay to have her fence repaired. Looking for some impartial advice, that isn't to tell her to move. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Unfortunately I'm gonna have to say that paying half the vet cost is what should happen... Yes, the guy was wrong for his dogs being out, BUT since your MIL's dog ALSO got out she is half at fault. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a court would say the same thing... IF they would have gotten INTO the yard, it would have been 100% the other owners fault... but its joint fault in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if the other dog prompted him to get out?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Unfortunately yeah... Course I could be wrong, I'm just going by day time judge shows anyway..lol I'm off on fridays and I have to get my judge show fix..lol

the other own can use the arguement that if the fence wasn't weak the dog wouldn't have gotten out, and did anyone witness this beside the owner?? Cuz if not he could say his dog was on leash when it happened too.. People will say anything to get out of being at fault.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I think I have to side with Ladyrampage on this one too.If the Yorkies were just running loose and got into her yard,then those owners would be 100% at fault.But her dogs got out too.So therefore neither dogs were properly contained.It doesn't matter why or how they got out.Only that they got out and injured another dog.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the guy says his vet bills a like $600 dollars but he may need more surgery. I think he is full of it. Then he said since your dog is a pitbull I might just have to call animal control and have them come get him since he has tasted blood, they will have him PTS.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in the street two house form MIL and 5 doors from his yard.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Its going to come down to containment... Neither party had their dogs properly contained.. The guy is obviously a jerk to play the pitbull card..

I honestly think they are both at fault. Have your MIL contact is vet to verify what she was told, get all the information from them on the care it was given and what it will need in the long run..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Its going to come down to containment... Neither party had their dogs properly contained.. The guy is obviously a jerk to play the pitbull card..

I honestly think they are both at fault. Have your MIL contact is vet to verify what she was told, get all the information from them on the care it was given and what it will need in the long run..
:goodpost:

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks will do I am going down there next week and will help her out to deal with this.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I would check with a lawyer since both dogs were uncontrolled on public property. might be something about both parties being at fault. Good luck to bad it didnt happen on here property cause it would be a whole different story

·
Registered
168 Posts
Unfortunately I'm gonna have to say that paying half the vet cost is what should happen... Yes, the guy was wrong for his dogs being out, BUT since your MIL's dog ALSO got out she is half at fault. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a court would say the same thing... IF they would have gotten INTO the yard, it would have been 100% the other owners fault... but its joint fault in my opinion.
I agree, but I would also get in writing their agreement once she pays the $300 so he can't try and come after her for more later on. This is why our dogs don't go outside unattended.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
She's gonna have to split the bill. Her dog got out and did damage to another dog. It could've been someone walking a dog on a leash that got attacked. I'd talk to the vet about the bill and future problems to make sure I wasn't getting used, but you gotta control your own personal dog.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I agree with what others have said. Since none of the dogs were contained it is both parties faults and they are both liable.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
The bottom line is her dog that was loose on the street did damage to another dog. They owe half the bill. The other party owned up to their half by asking it to be split.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
agreed, you mom owes half the bill. but i would be paying THE VET directly with legal documentation proving you paid DO NOT pay the owner of the dog period!

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess i understand but it s not as f he were out roaming he was in his yard when the dog who was half a block away from its house was digging at the gate. deisel is a large wwhopper dog he smashed the gate open to get out. it would not have happened had his dogs got out. So should this guy have to pay for half the fence repair his dog was on her property to begin with?

·
Registered
206 Posts
People with small, helpless dogs are fools to let them run free. They should be prepared for them to come home insured or not come home at all if they are going to be so stupid. My sister's dog almost killed the neighbors Jack Russell because they let the thing run loose and it wandered into my sister's yard.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts