Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Over this break on Christmas my husband and i went to visit my parents as well as my sister and her 3 young kids (6,4 and 2). We brought our two young pits, Boss (1yr) and ( 6 months) Momo. Now i want to pause here, I'm asking for input and help, not to be flamed about how "irresponsible" or "foolish" i am. If you are just going to bad mouth me then stop reading now, keep your mouth shut and leave.

I brought both my dogs with me from PA, to Minnesota. with a wonderful pet-friendly hotel say. Both dogs were let out every 2 hours to run around at rest stops and for bathroom breaks. We reached my parents home in the evening and with both dogs on leesh's we introduced them to the kids 1 at a time, as well as the chiwawa (spelling) and yorky they have. Both pits did wonderful with all the greetings and all the overwhelming sights and smells. Once we were comfortable with how the pups were acting with everything, we let them off their leads but proceeding to watch them closely. Momo (the 6 month old) is perfect, the kids are tugging on her ears and wrestling with her and everything. and she could not be a happier puppy. Doesnt nip, doesnt yelp, and is incredibly tolerable and patient.

Now the issue is with our 1yr old "Boss" She is also playful, yet tolerant, and loving. The twist is, she is Nippy. For example, my niece was wrestling with my husband, she was wearing a little princess skirt. there was alot of excitement between all three kids ganging up on my husband, along with momo giving all the kids kiss's when their face's were inrange. My niece began to run away, with boss close infoot. and Boss Nipped her butt which of course my niece went Ballistic. now, i know for a fact that Boss is not being mean, nor intending to "bite" the kids. She as never bitten anyone, Nor Ever shown any aggression ever. this was purly an over excited play nip. I think she was just going after the frilly skirt. My parents and my sister both understand and dont blame the Dog, and nor do we. However what does worry me is that this scenario could have played out very differently if it was some one else's kids instead of a close family member.

What i need is help with direction to Train Boss or help "Fix" this Nipping problem because it seems as tho it is becoming a trend when she plays.

Now let me again make this clear, Im not here to have some one preach to me about me or my dogs. More and more im seeing a trend of people just smashing people who ask questions on here and im sick of it. I am here asking for help from some one else who is in Love with this breed and is trying to make their name better one dog at a time. I need direction, not to be insulted. If you are one of these people atop your high horse, then kindly Move Along. If you have words of wisdom and guideance, then thank you from the bottem of my heart :love:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
This sounds just like an over excitement issue. There was alot going on, alot of new things, and alot of excited play. It has to be addressed as it starts to happen, quickly correct the behavior to make it clear that play is ok, nipping is not. Since this happened once, you are now aware of what to watch for, so first try not to repeat this situation. She is overly excited, and is young, correct then seperate making her understand that it isn't ok. With quick correction, and a little time she should be able to understand and grow out of it.

A year old dog, has tons of energy just like kids do, she was just rough housing like she would with another dog her age, not understanding that it was a small child that she might accidently hurt.

Lots and lots of stimulations are just something that may overly excite her, now you know! Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This sounds just like an over excitement issue. There was alot going on, alot of new things, and alot of excited play. It has to be addressed as it starts to happen, quickly correct the behavior to make it clear that play is ok, nipping is not. Since this happened once, you are now aware of what to watch for, so first try not to repeat this situation. She is overly excited, and is young, correct then seperate making her understand that it isn't ok. With quick correction, and a little time she should be able to understand and grow out of it.

A year old dog, has tons of energy just like kids do, she was just rough housing like she would with another dog her age, not understanding that it was a small child that she might accidently hurt.

Lots and lots of stimulations are just something that may overly excite her, now you know! Merry Christmas!!
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Now when you say correct the behavior, How? Just remove her from the area? put in a room alone? what would be the best way to go about this? if you could elaborate for me so i could better catch and reprimand the behavior it would be much appreciated it

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
you need to stop her actions and sternly say NO, then seperate her from the situation. If you've worked with her on basic obedience commands she should catch on really quick. I use the EASY or ITS A BABY with all the dogs to try to get them to understand that they need to be careful or settle down.

Its very hard to explain on the internet. I'm sure when Lisa (performanceknls) see this she can give you clear precise instructions!! I tend to have a hard to expressing what I want on thru a keyboard..lmao

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you need to stop her actions and sternly say NO, then seperate her from the situation. If you've worked with her on basic obedience commands she should catch on really quick. I use the EASY or ITS A BABY with all the dogs to try to get them to understand that they need to be careful or settle down.

Its very hard to explain on the internet. I'm sure when Lisa (performanceknls) see this she can give you clear precise instructions!! I tend to have a hard to expressing what I want on thru a keyboard..lmao
Wonderful!!! hopefully she pipes in, we are here for a few more days and i think this whole situation would be a perfect training opportunity. Thank you for the kind words Madam Rampage!

-------------------------------------

Any others have input for us?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have to agree with LadyRampage. Beastley had done the same thing. Beastley is used to just myself and husband but when my families children come over he gets extra play time. He loves them and the excitement they bring. We worked with him on the "leave it" command. When we see him getting over stimulated, jumping around like a rabbit and he seems to lift his one leg we know to tell him then to "leave it". He now will walk towards us to be petted. It just takes time and you have to watch your dog for his signs of excitement or over stimulation, they may be different then Beastley's. Good luck and Happy Holiday's

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
No problem at all, and since you are there for a few days, if Lisa sees this I'm betting she can give you some awesome advise on ways to correct the behavior! There are several others that are wonderful with advise as well!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
One question I have is does Boss bite you in play or put his mouth on you or mouth other people? After you answer this I can give you some advice. It does sound like over excitement and that can be very dangerous if you do not stop it now. One suggestion I have and this goes for any breed of dog, is they are not allowed to be around lose when people are rough housing. The dogs can get excited and nip, they can get protective over the owner, the dogs could get into a fight, and many other things. If you are in this situation again I suggest crating the dogs to avoid any problems. Does not mean there is anything wrong with the dog but they could see the rough housing as a threat or get over excited. I own a dog training business and I cannot tell you how many times I have been called out to do an evaluation on a dog who bite someone with the exact situation as you described. Most times it was not the dogs fault it was a bad situation the dogs should have never been involved in. But what I said does not fix you problem with the biting ;) After you reply I will tell you what I think you can do to correct the behavior.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Totally agree with Lisa about dogs bein up when ppl are playin rough. Also I live with my 2 dogs 15 months and 3 years 2 adult roommates and a 7 yr old girl. As
much as my dogs love this little girl I have to watch them closely as George is still a puppy and gets excited tryin to take things from her hands and such. All the same if the dogs are playin they go outside so they don't run over her. They also know the command 'be gentle' as they play with little kids or kittens lol. If he puts teeth on you or other ppl when he gets excited go back to training the way you do with pups- yell NO or OUCH or however you get across that he hurt you. Good luck with ur big puppies ;)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I wouldn't seperate Boss when she gets over excited I would take off and play a good game of fetch or frisbee something to let her blow off some energy then when you come back into the rough play have her on a leash and not join in. She will not feel left out as she got one on one time you could give her a toy that is hers i always use the word settle when I want my dogs to calm down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I agree. Many dogs can & do get over excited when put in a situations where this may happen. I try to always set Belle up for success rather than failure. These means that when I find that the excitement is reaching a level that I know Belle will negatively respond, I put her in time out. That means that she come and sits or downs beside me and I give her a great massage. This way she does not feel left out. When the excitement level reaches a level that I know Belle will react to properly, I let her join the fun. I will also practice the same method as MyKaDo. If you can drain some of that energy by playing a game of fetch, your dog is more likely not to over react to excited play. Keep your eye on them at all time so when a correction needs to be made you can immediately respond.
The next thing that I would like suggest is (Before you make a decision on my other suggestion, read the all of the suggestion), take your dog to a large child's playground. Sit at a safe distance (this may be 50') from the children. Make sure that you have a short lead on your dog at all time. Command your dog to the down & stay position. This is the position that your dog should stay in until you release him. To practice good self control your dog should not get up from the down/stay, No whining, No barking or any other signs that your dog is getting excited. Make a correction with your lead if this happens. I also use Belle's favorite ball to work on self control. In the down/stay position I bounce the ball all around her, I throw the ball up in the air, then I will throw the ball 10' to 15' in front of her then I will gently kick the ball into Belle's side. She is not allowed to move or to touch the ball. These suggestions should help your dog to develop a better "calm" attitude when in excited or stimulating situation.
Goliath

1 - 12 of 12 Posts