Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is the situation. Guy I work with has recently had a female pitbull type dog show up in his yard. Dog is very healthy and freindly and had a collar on. He put ads in the paper and went to the vet here in town and put pictures up. No one has contacted him to claim the dog. He says he can't afford to keep her and if no one claims her he's just gonna shoot her because he doesn't want to pay a vet to put her down. I can't stand it. I don't really want another dog but I can afford to take care of her and I'm sure she would be more than happy at my house. What would you guys do? Just let him do whatever he is going to do or take a dog you can take care of even though you weren't really planning on taking in another pet? Feel like I'm torn between my head and heart

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about it, but around here I think the chances of being able to rehome her to a place where she will be properly taken care are slim to none. For most part in my area, the people who want them, want to breed them or fight them and the people who are responsible enough to take care of an animal want nothing to do with these dogs because of the stigma attached to them. I am constantly asked if I want to breed mine, if I want to fight Chevelle, if Champ broke his leg fighting, etc. Then you have the people who look at you like you spit in their face just because you have the dreaded baby eaters. I have thick skin to it but I don't like a bully breeds odds in this town. Hope my rambling makes some sense.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
OK Shoot her? for real? I mean that's just wrong in all ways I feel, why not call and find a no kill shelter and see if they will take her when they have a spot?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the way alot of the people around here are. If its not their dog who cares and if it is their dog but isn't making them money i.e. breeding or fighting then who cares. It's sad but this is just the way it is. Low income and get rich quick schemes meets dogs.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
That is the way alot of the people around here are. If its not their dog who cares and if it is their dog but isn't making them money i.e. breeding or fighting then who cares. It's sad but this is just the way it is. Low income and get rich quick schemes meets dogs.
where the heck are you so I know never to go there? lol

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
where the heck are you so I know never to go there? lol
I know it's hard to hear those things when it comes to us Boston city folk Amy, but they shoot dogs alot out in the country across the U.S. I have been on dog forums for almost ten years and have had people post over the years whose dogs fell victim to being shot just because it was loose and on someones property. Sad to some but normal for others. My old boss has a house out in Maine and her neighbors dog attacked a little girl riding her bike by there house one day. Now these people live out in the woods. The owner was very unhappy what his dog did so he took her over the hill and shot her :(. Brutus, If you decide to take her I would bring her to the vet first to make sure she isn't going to bring anything home to your pups. If someone told me they were going to shoot the dog I would take her to.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Easy for me to say....take the dog if that's what your heart says. I've taken a few that were lost or abandoned, didn't with one, and always think about it. I've got a soft spot for anything that can't take care of itself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've pretty much decided to take her if no one has claimed her by the weekend. Went and met her today before I came into work. I will very conservatively look into rehoming her but if I don't find anyone that meets my criteria then I will just keep her as part of the family with Champ and Chevelle. She is a very pretty girl. Nearly all blue with a few small patches of white. Very healthy coat and skin. Will definitely be taking her to the next town to the vet just to be sure as I do with any dog I get.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will be going to pick her up tomorrow morning. Then she and Champ will both be going to the vet immediately afterwards. Her for a full checkup beofre I bring her home and Champ is going in for a follow up on his broken leg. So, I will be able to give updates on both tomorrow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i live in AR if i didnt already have a foster i'd take her. its not that hard to find people to take them if you try. in my opinion you should take her foster her. put it on craigslist, the newspaper, flyers. anything.. and who knows you may get attached and not want to get rid of her. then she would have a good home.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will put in word with the shelter here in town if they have people come in looking for a bully breed dog but I will not publicly advertise because the thugs and idiots will come out of the wood work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In all honesty she will most likely be a permanent fixture at my house. will be building a pen this weekend with three separate compartments for them to stay in during the day. It will give them more room than there kennels, have a floor and roof to prevent escape and will be made with heavy duty paneling similar to cattle panel. Just hope that she is pretty well mannered already but if not we will just have work to do.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
No one is going to take care of your dog like you.. .. its a saying.

Foster it, keep looking.. Advertise at more vets; advertise craiglist or any local adds.. Love it like she was yours and please dont breed her to your dog. If no owner pops up, have her spayed and keep her.

Medulla Oblangata is the next best choice..

Certified in Euthanasia myself I can tell you a well placed bullet in 10x more humane then lethal injection let alone the gas chamber, they shite themselves trying to get out. I refused to work at shelters who use those gas chambers, and I've put down as many dogs as most vets, I started I was putting dow 26 dogs a day through a 3 month period and the cats were limitless. Dont knock it, it hurts your stomach worse than the dog, if a law enforcment shoots your dog its not gonna be quick as it is if you put your dog down with a well placed knot shot. If hes had the dog 30 days its his .. 10 days in some places concering dogs. so if he wants to relinquish responcibility in the most responisible way, let him handle his buisiness; or take the dog home.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also try petfinder to try and find her a home that way you can let the internet do the work. I have found great homes on petfinder.
Never thought of petfinder. Just don't want to have to deal with the constant "Hey Dog, you still gots dat pit? Is she fixed?" Oh she is well neva mind den?" Don't know how many phone calls like that and asking if she is mean enough to fight I can deal with.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No one is going to take care of your dog like you.. .. its a saying.

Foster it, keep looking.. Advertise at more vets; advertise craiglist or any local adds.. Love it like she was yours and please dont breed her to your dog. If no owner pops up, have her spayed and keep her.

Medulla Oblangata is the next best choice..

Certified in Euthanasia myself I can tell you a well placed bullet in 10x more humane then lethal injection let alone the gas chamber, they shite themselves trying to get out. I refused to work at shelters who use those gas chambers, and I've put down as many dogs as most vets, I started I was putting dow 26 dogs a day through a 3 month period and the cats were limitless. Dont knock it, it hurts your stomach worse than the dog, if a law enforcment shoots your dog its not gonna be quick as it is if you put your dog down with a well placed knot shot. If hes had the dog 30 days its his .. 10 days in some places concering dogs. so if he wants to relinquish responcibility in the most responisible way, let him handle his buisiness; or take the dog home.
Will not breed her even if she isn't spayed. Have had plenty of unaltered males and females and am well versed in keeping them properly contained during heats. However if I do find her a forever home besides mine she will be spayed before leaving my yard. I don't have what it takes to do some of the things required of a good breeder(culling) and I know that so not even going there. Thanks for all of the advice though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts