Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a total of 9 dogs living in my house. 6 of which are mine, the other 3 being rescues looking for homes.
I get all dog food that I feed donated to me, so I usually get a hodgepodge of brands, some really good (few and far between) and some are on the iffy side (most often) Now, that's all fine and dandy for the rescues but for my dogs I've always wanted to go the prey model raw rout but having the number of dogs that I do, I'm unsure just how cost effective this would be.
Here is a list of the dogs that would be on the diet along with their info.

Silas.
He's roughly 3 years old, bull breed, 60lbs.
Then Kora.
She's 9 months, bull breed, 40lbs.
Then Desi.
She's a 1 year old Great Dane. 120lbs
Gypsy.
She's 10ish years old, Chow mix, and 30lbs.
Flora.
She's a 1 year old Dalmatian. 27lbs.
We also have a Chi but he doesn't qualify for this because he's toothless lol

Now, roughly, what would be my monthly cost for a PMR diet for these guys? I know prices vary and whatnot from place to place, I'm just asking for a generalization. How much do you spend, if you feed raw?
Would it be more cost effective to just get a high quality kibble?

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
I don't feed raw, so I can't help there... but I do feed high quality kibble, Acana Regionals Wild Prairie, and it runs about $2/lb. I seen some butchers advertising raw dog food bundles at like $2.54/lb but they are jackin people around and preyin off of people who don't know any better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
If you stock up before the transition, hitting the local butcher, sales, and CL for meats. It averages roughly what a high quality kibble would cost you. I only have one dog on PMR, so I don't mind spending a little extra when I have it. Look at the price of chicken in your area. That will likely be your most fed protein. I can find chicken quarters here for .89/ lb. When I feed that, he costs me roughly .89 per day. They key is a chest freezer, and buy a lot of one thing when you find it on sale.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It would depend on price costs in your area, how much your dogs eat, if you can get freebies, etc. Plan for about $1/pound and you'd probably feed 7 or more pounds a day to that crew. My dogs are all adults around 50 pounds and they each eat about a pound per day. I got months worth of free deer this fall and I bought several freezers so I can buy bulk meat when needed, just got 60# beef heart, 30#kidney, 30#liver#110pounds chicken for average of .80/pound, filled my freezer back up. During the months I have to buy meat it's $70-$90 average, same as midgrade kibble was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts