Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I adopted a 3 year old 55-pound pitty from a shelter yesterday and he’s the cutest boy! I will attach a picture of him. He is my first pitbull so I have virtually zero experience with the breed.

He’ll do this thing where he gives tons of kisses (lots of face lickin), but he goes crazy and sometimes gets a little too rough. For example, sometimes in his fits of excitement his teeth will catch my face and it’s quite painful. I know it’s not the dog’s fault, but is there any way to train him not to go too crazy? He’s done that to other people in my house as well. Any tips would be extremely helpful!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
He's gorgeous! First things first, he hasn't been with you long enough to really settle or for all of you to know him. The rule is 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months to learn everything about you, your family, and the routine.
This doesn't sound like aggression, it sounds like overstimulation. He needs leadership training, that the entire household needs to uphold. That's important or nothing will work. Mental games like handfeeding, puzzle toys, place stay, and engagement. Those are just as important as play and long brisk walks.
I love videos by upstate canine academy, sailor Jerry, Larry krohn, and Tom Davis. Lots of free videos.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,388 Posts
Welcome to GoPitBull sxngrey and way to go on the rescue. Great advice from FluffyLove. Check out some of the other posts in this section of the forum. There is a ton of information here on this kind of behavior. One of the primary rules is if the dog gets too excited and starts jumping up, nipping etc. give the dog a firm "NO" and all play or activity stops. Walk away, turn your back or whatever you need to do to ignore the dog. The dog naturally will still be worked up but it won't take long for the dog to realize that when he acts like this he gets no attention. After the dog calms down try to initiate petting or playing, repeat process until the dog understands.
Congrats on your new pup and there is a wealth of information here. Use the search feature to answer most of your questions and feel free to ask anything you can't find the answer to.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone! I adopted a 3 year old 55-pound pitty from a shelter yesterday and he’s the cutest boy! I will attach a picture of him. He is my first pitbull so I have virtually zero experience with the breed.

He’ll do this thing where he gives tons of kisses (lots of face lickin), but he goes crazy and sometimes gets a little too rough. For example, sometimes in his fits of excitement his teeth will catch my face and it’s quite painful. I know it’s not the dog’s fault, but is there any way to train him not to go too crazy? He’s done that to other people in my house as well. Any tips would be extremely helpful!
You should always be weary of a dog you don't know. I would keep my face away from a dog's mouth who I do not fully trust; especially while they are eating. Never try to engage with a dog while they are eating. I raised my dog who only rarely ever barks or growls. Ive heard him growl maybe 3 times in 7 years, and he is a real sweetie; yet I still am apprehensive about grabbing his bowl while he is eating. Ill talk to him; like if the food gets too hot and I want him to eat slow and to be careful not to burn himself. He usually looks up at me to let me know he is either happy with his meal; or not if I stand and watch him. I always like to ask him if he likes what I gave him.

I raised my dog's Mom too: she was very hyper; always energetic, and a very fun dog to play with. She would like to play the "hand chase" game, or "the snakes gonna bite her" game. I would get her going so fast that she sometimes would catch my hand with her tooth and I would yell "OUCH."This was a great way to teach her how I felt if she accidentally bit; or hurt me. It also showed me that she understood there was a limit to how rough she could be with me. She knew that she could go much harder on the rope or something else compared to my hand. I would pretend to try and slap or punch her PLAYFULLY; not with anger, and let her catch my fist in her teeth" at sometimes a pretty fast and intense pace. It got to the point where I was very satisfied that she knew what could hurt me or not, and she learned to have enough control; no matter how crazy we mite get; that she could figuratively stop on a dime. A dog that gets angry without knowing how much they can hurt you; is a dog that can unknowingly; or accidentally hurt you more seriously than it may have intended. People often do things to hurt others more than they intended; because they did not know their own strength, and dogs are no different. My dog's Mom would bite deep round patches of flesh off of his Dad's face when she got really mad at him; she could bite a finger off easily; but she knew it did not take a lot to hurt me, and whenever she did; she would quickly tuck her tail and stoop her head apologetically. She would also come over with a concerned look to see if I was okay.

Its good to set boundaries for your dog; as well as to let them push the boundaries sometimes; it's all a learning process. I once knew a woman that worked at a university who had a mixed pitbull that bit her face while he was eating. She was on her back or knees or something, trying to touch and talk to him as he ate. When he growled she said "oh don't you growl at me, "in a non-antagonistic way, and he bit her. She had to have reconstructive surgery. If my dog ever bit me that badly; I would likely beat him to death with something. The point being; I would never put myself or my dog in that position to where I would have to react like that. She had no purpose interacting with her dog like she did. He wasn't having difficulty eating the food in his bowl; she did not need to assist him in any way. For all he knew; she was trying to take his food. If you show your Pitbull lots of love and respect; you can be tough with him during those times that he should have known what he did was wrong; because you taught him several times already. You can't always show your dog timid and pleasant emotions. Your dog needs to know if you are really mad at him; or really happy with him; otherwise they can easily learn to walk all over you; ignore, and just not listen to you. My dog lets me tell him to come nicely about 3 times; after that he knows he's got one calm; stern command to get his butt moving. All well treated Pitbulls ever want is to make their owners happy. They may push your buttons on occasion; but they are as loyal and well behaved, and have the sweetest temperament as any other breed of dogs who are also respected; loved, and well treated. Neglect your dog; leave it out back by itself chained to a tree; don't take it for walks; or socialize it with people and other dogs, and I can promise you a dangerous; unpredictable Pitbull. Even then; it takes a lot to conjure up the spirit of a mad dog. They are a very needy and social breed. Just like people; they become mean when they aren't treated well. Good luck. BTW; how are you guys getting along these days? Never stop reading and learning about your dog; there is a plethora of information out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts