Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your help...my friend came home to find an APBT sitting in the driveway, it was an unspayed female who was on the thin side so he got into the house and fed it. Looked for the owners through dog warden, vets, neighbors and paper no owner could be found so he decided to keep it and took it to the vet for it's shots. She was named Chloe and was friendly towards my friend's two roommates, well behaved and already leash trained for walks. Chloe was also friendly and playful with the other roommate's dog which happened to be a male pit but yesterday the third roommate's dog a male Akita came into the kitchen where Chloe's food is kept and as the Akita walked through Chloe growled and they got into a fight. Needless to say the Akita left with a bloody ear. Now the Akita's owner wants Chloe removed and taken to the ASPCA. My friend bonded fairly quickly with Chloe and hates the idea of giving up on her up so easily so is there something that you all can suggest??? There is another option being discussed besides ASPCA and that would be giving her to me as I live in a very rural area and have owned a pit/boxer mix who passed of lymphoma. I also have an old blind german shepherd and an 8yr. old female bloodhound with some aggression. If Chloe came to me she would be an outside dog with her own large dog house/large fenced pen as do my other 2 dogs. I have 5 acres of land with trails to walk her, I'm home all day to interact with her, my friend could visit her and no one would bother her here. We're not sure what is the best option for Chloe so your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Well to me, it could be food aggression. We have a female heeler mix who came from an abusive situation and was very skinny. She's food aggressive. All of my dogs are fed separately-which I think she happen anyway, but more so because of this. If its a case of food aggression that can be managed. All my dogs can be out together-supervised always- but food is a big thing for our girl so we take the appropriate measures when dealing with food. I think there are threads on here about it.

Dog aggression is also a possibility though and there are a lot of threads on here about it. It can be managed. And there are also a lot of good threads on it here and crating and rotating. Dog aggression can come out between 1-2 normally but really can happen at any time. I have 2 that are DA to other dogs but fine with each other.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I thought food aggression as well although I've been told you can put your hand in Chloe's dish while she's eating so food aggression only when it's another dog? And yes the vet said she's around a year old. From reading on here I see that's when trouble with aggression can start. I will keep reading.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Ill be blunt cuz this may well be the last chance the dog will ever get.
Crate and rotate...no dogs allowed together unsupervised. Accidental dog fights will happen with this breed. 2dogs start and the third will join in as well. Then it's an unstoppable bloodbath. Dude took the responsibility, he needs to commit or turn the dog in. I have 6 dogs, you have 3. If I can manage, y'all can manage! Just give it a try, don't give up on this dog yet.

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
Feed em seperate ..in crates..slowly move closer each feeding..try to get an idea..may just need to adjust also. monitor them closely..i always feed dogs seperate to prevent issues.they all get fed well and don't need to wait on something bound to happen..if you can prevent it. juts some ideas..

do some research on apbt and if u keep her..just be responsible.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
They can do it. It's possible and very manageable. All dogs can have aggression and as long as its managed it shouldn't be an issue to keep them all safe and happy. Although your situation with you would be ideal over a uncertain death at a shelter.

www.pbrc.net/rotate.html

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
This house is destine for failure.... Male pitbull + male akita= eventual gaureenteed dog fight.... Add another bitch pitie in the mix u gonna have a mess.... That none y'all gonna be able to clean up.... Ur dog is the least of the Akita owners future probs ... Crate and rotate works well for well minded dog educated ppl.. Not 3 owners withn3 dogs IMO...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Okay the roommates have gotten together and consulted a pit rescue and have decided to bring in a trainer to reintroduce Chloe and the Akita as there are still no problems with the other male pit. Chloe has been taken around some other dogs as well and she has shown no aggression with them outside of the home. She is also very people friendly so they feel that she would benefit from training. The food issue will also be addressed and they will be learning all about crate and rotate. If for some reason the training fails it's been decided Chloe can live with me so no matter what this dog will not be "lost" again. I thank all of you for your comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts