Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like anytime i take my dog somewhere i get at least one negative reaction towards my dog and she has never done anything wrong, whether it be a negative comment about the breed of my dog, or a snarled disgusted look.

Yesterday for an example i was going to the gas station with my brother so he can get cigarettes, so i brought my dog along with me, simply because she just loves car rides. On the way there we were at a stop sign and my pup had her head out the window with a little grin and head tilted to the side looking at a lady and her dog...this lady had the most pissed off look on her face like my dog wasn't good enough to look at her or her little designer ankle biter. So whatever i brushed it off because it really wasn't a big deal and proceeded to where i was going. When we got the the gas station me and my dog waited in the car till my brother got out, while he was in there this little girl told her mom "mommy look at the cute puppy" so the mom turns around with a little half smile im sure expecting Some sort of Lab ect. and instantly had a snarl on her face when she saw my dog was a "pitbull".

I guess im just venting and in the long run it really does not matter because i know i have a great dog but it gets annoying after a while. Even when it comes to family and they find out what kind of dog i have prior to coming over i have to hear about how i shouldn't own a bully breed, but once they leave there always telling me how sweet and wonderful she is. I just wish people wouldn't judge a certain breed of dog so harsh as a whole and would take the time to get to know them as individuals. I have nothing but the up most respect for people that don't own a bully breed and do not judge them as a whole, like my step dads boss who brought over his pekingese knowing the dog i own and just threw it in the back yard with my dog and let them play without any worry. (of course I kept a very close eye on them knowing anything can happen) but they got along great and had a blast as my dog does with most other dogs she meets.

And it bums me out when i see a APBT at a park without a leash on because i know that if that dog gets in a fight, even if it did not start the fight, its blowing it for the rest of us, this is why responsible dog owners and people like me get dirty looks when they go for a simple drive down the street with their pitbull, or take it for a walk, leash and all.

In closing people need to lighten up about this breed and get to know them as individuals like i stated above and i feel like bully breed owners need to take the extra initiative to being more responsible and safe with there dog, and keep it leashed when out and about, even when i take my dog for a car ride i have her leash and her harness on in case she gets out..

oh and does anyone else get ridiculous reactions like this when going out with your dog?

·
Banned
314 Posts
All the time, but I don't care, it makes me laugh at them...but I understand why people feel that way. I like to know how enemies (in this case haters of APBT/Bullys) think, and try to understand them. I've found out a cold and harsh truth over the years, and that is, the biggest enemies are within the circle of APBT/Bully owners. The punks who create the monster dogs that attack without provocation. The abusers who get popped with severely injured dogs, wanna be dogmen, ghetto dogmen, whatever you wanna call them. This image began in the 80's, and continues.

Yes, I've seen old women give me more evil looks than any foreign enemy of our nation, simply because of my dog. If looks could kill, hers would have. But once again, we need to get united as responsible owners of our breeds, and keep them out of the hands of the scum who tarnish the real image of our dogs...and the APBT used to be a national symbol, and look where it is now.

My favorite Einstein quote is one place to start: "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who sit back and do nothing." People need to report abuse, and people mean dogs that aren't properly secured. BYB's need to be banned. JMO

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Its just what comes with owning this breed. I have got a tough skin during the years with these wonderful dogs :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the time, but I don't care, it makes me laugh at them...but I understand why people feel that way. I like to know how enemies (in this case haters of APBT/Bullys) think, and try to understand them. I've found out a cold and harsh truth over the years, and that is, the biggest enemies are within the circle of APBT/Bully owners. The punks who create the monster dogs that attack without provocation. The abusers who get popped with severely injured dogs, wanna be dogmen, ghetto dogmen, whatever you wanna call them. This image began in the 80's, and continues.

Yes, I've seen old women give me more evil looks than any foreign enemy of our nation, simply because of my dog. If looks could kill, hers would have. But once again, we need to get united as responsible owners of our breeds, and keep them out of the hands of the scum who tarnish the real image of our dogs...and the APBT used to be a national symbol, and look where it is now.

My favorite Einstein quote is one place to start: "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who sit back and do nothing." People need to report abuse, and people mean dogs that aren't properly secured. BYB's need to be banned. JMO
I completely agree with you how we cant just sit back and not do anything.
my neighbors have two lab/poodle mutts that they let run a muck around the neighborhood, and its hard to take my dog for a walk because these mutts run up every time to try and start a fight. Im not one to call animal control on people but i had to bite the bullet and call on these people because there dogs attacked a stray (they beat it up pretty bad) and i had to break up the fight, and i do not want these dogs attacking and jumping my dog.. its a miracle they haven't yet.. the funny thing is these people still have not kept there animals contained, i saw them out and about yesterday walking my dog. i swear some people should not be allowed to own a dog.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
its true, but I have grown so accustomed to it, when people do NOT react that way, I am pleasantly surprised. Makes it kinda worth all the negative for the ones who make me and my pup feel like we did something wrong. I hate when people allow their kids to run up and then ask me what my dog is. They snatch their kids up, but sometimes, people just nod and say what a good boy Gargamel is. Or an older women, in her 90's who waits when she sees us coming so she can give Gargamel a piece of cheese. She loves how gentle he is when she gives it to him. There are enough people out there who surprise and listen to overpower those who are ignorant and nasty. I knew owning this breed I would be pre-judged, so I just let it roll of me and celebrate the ones when you can...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its true, but I have grown so accustomed to it, when people do NOT react that way, I am pleasantly surprised. Makes it kinda worth all the negative for the ones who make me and my pup feel like we did something wrong. I hate when people allow their kids to run up and then ask me what my dog is. They snatch their kids up, but sometimes, people just nod and say what a good boy Gargamel is. Or an older women, in her 90's who waits when she sees us coming so she can give Gargamel a piece of cheese. She loves how gentle he is when she gives it to him. There are enough people out there who surprise and listen to overpower those who are ignorant and nasty. I knew owning this breed I would be pre-judged, so I just let it roll of me and celebrate the ones when you can...
Of course i get more negative then positive reactions.
but i totally agree when you do get those people that are accepting and loving to your dog its a great feeling.:D

·
Banned
314 Posts
I just heard a sad story...my sons friend had an AST, 3 years old, and a young puppy that was a chow mix. They were gone from the home and both dogs were tied up on their own property, a foot or so out of reach. The neighbor lady came over, and was petting the puppy, which was afraid of her, and the female AST felt the need to protect the pup....she was said to have made contact on her arm but didn't puncture...the lady called the cops and said a "pit-bull" tried to attack her, though she was AKC AST. When my sons friend was pulling in the drive with his parents, their female dog was being loaded into the trunk of a squad car, dead. The police shot her as a "viscious pit bull".

Is that fair? No, and we know it.

You are correct Pittylove77, and those people are wrong...We need to start being pro-active, rather than re-active.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just heard a sad story...my sons friend had an AST, 3 years old, and a young puppy that was a chow mix. They were gone from the home and both dogs were tied up on their own property, a foot or so out of reach. The neighbor lady came over, and was petting the puppy, which was afraid of her, and the female AST felt the need to protect the pup....she was said to have made contact on her arm but didn't puncture...the lady called the cops and said a "pit-bull" tried to attack her, though she was AKC AST. When my sons friend was pulling in the drive with his parents, their female dog was being loaded into the trunk of a squad car, dead. The police shot her as a "viscious pit bull".

Is that fair? No, and we know it.

You are correct Pittylove77, and those people are wrong...We need to start being pro-active, rather than re-active.
god that makes me so sick.
i would go down swinging if someone unfairly shot my dog.
don't they take it into consideration that this dumb lady
1. should not have approached a dog she does not know unless the owner is there and said its okay.
and 2. she should not have been on there property.
in my eyes the dog did nothing wrong he was protecting a puppy and his home from a stranger who should not have been there in the first place!
not only are irresponsible owners ruining the breed but dumb people like this lady. Im sorry for youre sons friends loss that is horrible.. He needs to press this issue because that lady should not have done what she did

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
get used to it and brush it off, if they will listen you can try and educate but some wont have any of that so ignore and walk on :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I take mine to the dog park regularly. She loves all dogs and humans. People come to the fence and ask if that is a pit bull before they bring their dog in. I don't say anything and let the other people already in there answer for me as she is the best behaved and calmest dog in there. It's something like.. "yeah but she is fine come on in." I have had people get their dogs and leave out of ignorance.

·
Banned
314 Posts
god that makes me so sick.
i would go down swinging if someone unfairly shot my dog.
don't they take it into consideration that this dumb lady
1. should not have approached a dog she does not know unless the owner is there and said its okay.
and 2. she should not have been on there property.
in my eyes the dog did nothing wrong he was protecting a puppy and his home from a stranger who should not have been there in the first place!
not only are irresponsible owners ruining the breed but dumb people like this lady. Im sorry for youre sons friends loss that is horrible.. He needs to press this issue because that lady should not have done what she did
It happened a year ago, but just heard it from his friends mother. She said my dogs brought back memories. When the police approached, she became protective, and shot her. They got nothing over it, not even an apology from the neighbor. To the law, even though it was an AST, it was a "pit bull." Don't know who the cop was, because many like the APBT, and even got me once to help them catch one loose, that didn't like uniforms.

But, in my eyes, the lady tresspassed. She was wrong for approaching a neighbors pup when they not home. I really don't know what I'd do if it were me, but I don't ever want to.

Don't know what I would do, and hope I never have to find out.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I take mine to the dog park regularly. She loves all dogs and humans. People come to the fence and ask if that is a pit bull before they bring their dog in. I don't say anything and let the other people already in there answer for me as she is the best behaved and calmest dog in there. It's something like.. "yeah but she is fine come on in." I have had people get their dogs and leave out of ignorance.
I personally feel you are running a risk with that behaviour and wouldnt be bringing this breed to the dog park. DA can come into play at anytime even with ones who have never shown any signs before , it may not be full DA it may just be some odd dog that irks her teh wrong way. It could also be some other dog who just has no manners and they start a fight , thing is other dogs start fights all the time but who will finish it? then it hits the media and its 'pitbull attacks" and everyone has to pay for your mistakes. There are a ton of threads on here about pitbulls and dog parks I hope you read them and maybe think twice about it. Or maybe take her when its quiet and no other dogs in there. I dont think its out of ignorance those people are leaving , if I had a small breed and someone came in with a pitbull I would remove my dog as well. { JFYI My dogs do play with smaller dogs but they are dogs they grew up with and people we know and trust how there dogs were brought up}

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
please do not take your dog to a dog park, no matter how social or responsible you feel your dog is. Your dog could have a bad day, just like anyone can have a bad day. Why set your dog up to potentially act like he is breed to act in a place that other dogs could be pout at risk? what is a dog comes to the park who tried to mess with your dog? Why run the risk of anything going wrong while being there? Unless you mean when there are no other dogs at the park. Although the amount of disease I choose to stay away, but please do not ever go when there is another dog there, for the sake of all of us owners, please do not go to a dog park.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
yea i don't know if i completely agree with dog parks when it comes to bully breeds. even if the other dog clearly starts the fight you're dog will be targeted for the breed that he is. i do agree with socializing you're pit though so maybe having a friend bring his or her dog over to play is a better option. That's what i do, set up little play dates. Its a lot safer for your dog

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally feel you are running a risk with that behaviour and wouldnt be bringing this breed to the dog park. DA can come into play at anytime even with ones who have never shown any signs before , it may not be full DA it may just be some odd dog that irks her teh wrong way. It could also be some other dog who just has no manners and they start a fight , thing is other dogs start fights all the time but who will finish it? then it hits the media and its 'pitbull attacks" and everyone has to pay for your mistakes. There are a ton of threads on here about pitbulls and dog parks I hope you read them and maybe think twice about it. Or maybe take her when its quiet and no other dogs in there. I dont think its out of ignorance those people are leaving , if I had a small breed and someone came in with a pitbull I would remove my dog as well. { JFYI My dogs do play with smaller dogs but they are dogs they grew up with and people we know and trust how there dogs were brought up}
she doesn't retaliate, never returns a bark or growl, little dogs have approached her aggressively and she wags her tail or doesn't react. If anything she will go stand behind me and wait. I raise her to not be aggressive in ANY situation. I work hard to achieve this, if i didn't have confidence in her i wouldn't put her in that situation. I agree dog parks are not for every dog. It's better to teach them how to handle a situation the right way than be afraid of how they might react and not take them out. It's a lot of work but when people compliment on her demeanor and take away a better feeling about the breed it's worth it.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
she doesn't retaliate, never returns a bark or growl, little dogs have approached her aggressively and she wags her tail or doesn't react. If anything she will go stand behind me and wait. I raise her to not be aggressive in ANY situation. I work hard to achieve this, if i didn't have confidence in her i wouldn't put her in that situation. I agree dog parks are not for every dog. It's better to teach them how to handle a situation the right way than be afraid of how they might react and not take them out. It's a lot of work but when people compliment on her demeanor and take away a better feeling about the breed it's worth it.
Blano, quit while your ahead because you wont win this debate. It has been debated back and fourth over and over and over again. Its very unacceptable to take pits to dog parks because of there dog fighting history. My girl is a sweetheart with other dogs to but a dog park is no place for her. Not to mention the disease they can pick up there. Just as you have to have a tough skin owning this breed you have to have a tough skin on here to. What you feel is right by the breed twenty others may disagree and in this case it will happen. There have been owners on here who for eight or more years have dogs live peacefully together and then one day they come home to either a dead dog or a badly injured one. If your dog injures another dog at the park guess who will be blamed and punished? Your pit bull.

Reactions: ames and angelbaby

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Those people are the smart ones......
Here you go read this
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think what they are trying to say is that it COULD happen and its best not to run the risk. don't forget what these dogs were bred for. I mean a lot of the dogs on this forum can go there whole life without getting into a fight or showing aggression but its still better to be safe than sorry. A constant reminder for me is that i have a blue heeler who was never raised to actually be a cattle dog, but its still in her blood and shes always running around nipping at my dogs ankles or the pigs ankles that we have on or property also my jack russle which were bread for killing rodents is always bringing dead gophers rats lizards ect and i did not train him to do so, sure all dogs catch a few rodents but he catches at least 6 by the end of the day. Its in the pitbulls blood to have DA even if you work really hard to teach them to not be. Its always better to just take the safe route and assume it can happen at any moment.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
You can raise her not to be aggressive but that doesn't mean that DA still won't come out sooner or later. Better to be safe than sorry, just think of what would happen if she ever did grab a little dog. It would be brutal. DA has been bred into this breed, and we can't deny or ignore it and expect it to go away. I hear this all the time, "my dog attacked another do with no warning, she has always been good with other dogs." There is always warnings people just chose not to see, or accept them. When you own these dogs you should always prepare for DA, even if they seem fine as pups DA can set in as they mature. This breed for that reason doesn't belong anywhere near dog parks.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
you hardly see that happen here.. Bakersfield is such a pit bull / bully friendly town.. i always get compliments on my dogs.. i ignore everyone though, so if they are making certain faces i dont see them

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.