Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the kids down the street (I say kids but they're like early 20's) have a bully mix that of course they call a pit bull. They moved in not that long ago and apparently just brought the dog with them a few weeks ago. I had me the dog with Kaos a week or two ago when he was out with his female owner. Kaos did NOT like him so Kaos went back in the car but the dog seemed fine with me and her, letting me pet him and giving me some kisses. However, I saw the dog last night with the male owner, Nick, talking to my neighbor across the street. They now have the dog in a pinch collar and the dog was showing clear signs of fear. He had the dog on a close lead and was correcting him every time the dog barked or did anything. Every correction the dog went and stood or sat behind him and was clearly afraid, tail down, ears back, trying to make himself small as possible behind Nick.

Well, I know Nick (I used to work with his mom but haven't seen him in many, many years) so I went out to say hello and try to ease the dog. Since I know how to read his behavior, I was careful. I went outside, calmly and casually walking across the street ignoring the dog and talking to Nick and neighbor Tom. The dog was alert and barked at me several times but no growls or shows of aggression, just watchful and a bit leery of me. I went over and stood next to him and let him sniff me while I continued to talk to Nick and Tom. After a few minutes the dog seemed to settle so I casually pet him under his chin for a minute but then he went to jump and Nick corrected him and the dog got scared again, hiding behind Nick. The dog then barked at me and started showing his hackles. I ignored him but maintained a safe enough distance that he couldn't bite without me having a little bit of warning. The dog was definitely leery but never outright aggressive with me. Nick proceeded to tell me how great the pinch was and how he walks without pulling now and how he doesn't like it and it makes him scared and how awesome that was. All I said was to be very careful, the dog was showing a lot of signs of being fearful and fearful dogs bite. He blew me off saying he would never bite anyone.

Here's my dilemma. We have A LOT of kids on our street and in our neighborhood. MOST are very respectful of dogs and have been raised well. In fact some of these kids really impress me, always asking politely, from a distance, if they can pet my dogs (even though they know us and have played with and pet all three numerous times). Regardless, not all are they well educated and respectful of dogs. My fear is the neighbors dog is going to bite an unknowing kid that walks over, not knowing any better, and tries to love on the dog. And of course, with the dog being a "pit bull", well you know how that goes.

Not only do I not want anyone to get hurt (dog included) but I don't want it causing problems for me and MY dogs! Now, 90% of our neighborhood know and love all three of my stooges. They also know that our dogs are trained and behave and neither hubs nor I would do anything or let anything happen (within our control) that would put anyone (dogs included) in harms way. But there are those neighbors that are problems including the lady across the street from Nick who I had a run in with last year where she threatened to shoot my dogs when one of the pups got out as a 4 month old pup because she has kids and pit bulls bite (of course in her mind).

I don't know what to do. Hubs says to just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business. You guys and gals all know, I'm not so good at doing that. I doubt Nick would take any advice or guidance from me after the way he blew me off (plus his mom and stepdad aren't real big fans of mine but that's a long story for another day) but I think I could get through to Nicole (his g/f the female owner - yeah Nick and Nicole ugh). Or do I just mention in passing among my direct neighbors and kids parents about being cautious with the dog when they see it? Nick claims he plans on walking him a lot more and "socializing him" more to fix the issues but based on what I'm seeing I don't see that going all that well!

Oh, let's add one more little wrinkle - Nick's stepdad is a borough cop 9the one who doesn't like me...) and his uncle is the chief of police (who likes me even less).

I probably should just stay out of it but before I go getting myself in trouble I thought I would see how my GP family would handle this sticky situation....

~Jess

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
There's really not much you can do in this situation. You can try talking to the GF, but that's all you should probably do. If you talk to the neighbors and warn them, it may be seen as gossip or talking crap about the neighbor with the dog. Put AC on speed dial and if things go south, call them to come ticket or collect the dog.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we don't have AC around here. We have a County SPCA but they only handle complaints in townships or boroughs they have a contract with for ACO services. All dog/animal complaints have to go through local pd and they contact whomever they use (if anyone) for AC. You're right though, I need to keep my nose out of it and mouth shut.

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
I just don't want to see you getting shunned by the neighborhood or labeled the A-hole neighbor. This is one of those instances that you really have to tread lightly. Just keep your own kids and pups away from that dog and if you see young children going towards him and he's in a pinch collar, try to redirect them with your own confident friendly dogs. That's what I would do. If I were you that is.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mac I appreciate it. As I'm sure you understand, aside from being afraid anyone is going to get hurt, I hate seeing the poor dog going through that. From my prior experiences with the dog, I don't think he's an aggressive dog, he's just, like you said, not confident and his owner(s) are making the situation worse instead of better. It's going to be one of those "it's the owners fault" situation when/if the dog does bite someone. It's soooo frustrating!

Along those same lines our local SPCA just did a segment about pit bulls on the news and the owner/manager/"dog guy" ACO or whomever he is was talking all about how pits are great family dogs and how they are NOT aggressive and how they can always live with young kids, cats, ect and that it's all nuture over nature. He claimed there was nothing in the dogs breeding that produces aggression. While I commend them for being anti-BSL, I was/am infuriated how they are just spouting bad information and perpetuating the whole reason why a lot of bull breeds end up right back up in shelters. These dogs absolutely can be great family pets and get along with everyone/anyone BUT that is not the whole story and failing to give the whole story is setting everyone up for failure. These dogs are not for every family. He even said how they make great guard dogs! REALLY?!

Here's the story if you or anyone else is interested:

Confronting the reality of pit bull discrimination - Story | WTXF

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Yeah that nonsense is spouted fairly regularly unfortunately. "It's all in how you raise them". I give the stink eye every time I hear that. No dude, it's not. Are my bulldogs chill? Absolutely.If a dog charges off leash at them, I can't promise that dog will live. In my house and in my yard, any animal I add into the mix gets left alone. But no animal is dominant in my house. I am HBIC at all times and the bulls know it and trust me to keep them safe.
The spouting of nonsense is irritating. But the chances of the average joe getting a hold of a true pit dog are pretty slim. The most irritating part to me is the mislabeling. I've gotten into some pretty loud debates over what's at the other end of my leash. I blame the media, the hoodrats, the fur mommies, and the SPCA and HSUS as well as PETA for the mislabeling which then in turn causes BSL and breed discrimination. ALL of which makes my life difficult when it shouldn't be. But not nearly as difficult as the folks in Miami-Dade. Dogs are being killed for "looking" like pit bulls. As if any of those bureaucratic SOBs know what a pit dog even looks like.
Sorry for the rant, things like that really get under my skin.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the rant, things like that really get under my skin.
Sing it Girl! Shout that from the rooftops. I totally am with you. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, you are absolutely correct that most won't come into contact with a true pit and all the BYB and mislabeling that happens is outrageous. I can't even imagine dealing with the nonsense you and especially those in Miami-Dade deal with. Fortunately we don't have to deal with any real BSL just the typical misinformation and stereotypes and mislabeling. The part that gets me is that of all my bulldog mutts, Kaos, by far, looks the most like a true APBT. He has the compact muscular trim build and would conform to the ADBA standard more than the UKC standard if he was pure but he's the least "scary" of them all.

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Miami is def the worst. Around here it's just renters and of course a lot of the police in the more ghettofied areas and about 3 people in my neighborhood. Oh, and that crazy chick in Cocoa Village who thought she could say something under her breath and not have me respond as she walked across the street to not come near Ecko all the while calling him a pit bull. I popped off and along with the multitude of F yous that came out of me I tried to school her on breeds. But at the top of my voice. SO I don't think she was really listening.

I have the same issue with my bulls. Ecko is the "scariest" because his head appears to be to big for his body. He's a short 16" at the withers and 47 lbs of muscle and I don't even work him for the body he has. His 20" head makes everyone think he's the tough guy, when in reality he's the biggest pansy cur I've ever met. Give or take a scarecrow here or a mutt dog threatening his pack mate there.

I want to move to Portland in a big bad way. Everyone loves dogs there and they don't care what kind it is. Maybe when I retire in 24 more years.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I popped off and along with the multitude of F yous that came out of me I tried to school her on breeds. But at the top of my voice. SO I don't think she was really listening.

I have the same issue with my bulls. Ecko is the "scariest" because his head appears to be to big for his body. He's a short 16" at the withers and 47 lbs of muscle and I don't even work him for the body he has. His 20" head makes everyone think he's the tough guy, when in reality he's the biggest pansy cur I've ever met. Give or take a scarecrow here or a mutt dog threatening his pack mate there.

I want to move to Portland in a big bad way. Everyone loves dogs there and they don't care what kind it is. Maybe when I retire in 24 more years.
OMG that is too funny. Not only does it sound like Ecko and Kaos are a lot alike but it may very well seem we may be two peas from the same pod as well. Kaos and Ecko are about the same size with their strong, shorter builds and big block heads. We had to move Kaos to a 22in choker (when it's needed) because we couldn't get the 20in over his big block head.

Funny enough as well, I've ALWAYS wanted to move to the Pacific NW - Portland, Seattle, anywhere up in that area. Too bad I got way too many more years myself before I can retire as well.

And thanks for "chatting" with me today - it's helped keep me sane at work all day!

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
LMAO! @ the bigger choker. I used the prong to initial train Ecko to walk proper. He no longer needs it. But it was the prong because I couldn't get a choker to sit properly in the size I needed to get it over his head. LOL!
Khaos does sound like he's shaped like Ecko aka Bob aka Bobble head. LOL!

It's beautiful out there. The beaches are dog friendly, there's all sorts of hiking. Carriana who is an OG here that doesn't pop in so much anymore lives in the Seattle area and said it very rarely snows there. Which sounds perfect for me. I don't mind the cold, I just hate to shovel.

You did the same for me too. LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts