Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

My friend adopted a pit a few weeks ago. hes 9 months old and grew up in the shelter with many other dogs around all the time.
He is the best dog ever. Hes behavior is just perfect. Only one problem. My friend can not leave the house!
The dog cries veeery loud the whole time!. Neighbors want to kill him and his dog!
He really likes the dog and they connected really well but he doesnt know what else to do.
Classic case of separation anxiety right? How to deal with it.
Please help :(

Tx

A

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
has he tried putting stuff in the crate that smells like him? or for me- for a while my pup would do that so i put music on before i left so he didn't hear me leave or any other noises from outside to get him riled up n barkin after i left. he stopped makin noise after a few minutes. now, i don't have to use music anymore, and he barks n cries a few minutes when i leave n then is quiet until he hears me come home again. :D

·
Registered
795 Posts
My dog did the same thing!!! She is now almost 5 months. She had it so bad that she would make herself so sick and throw up while I went to work. It was horrible. Having to clean it ALL THE TIME. Everyone kept telling me to stick it out, especially at night when she goes into her crate. She would cry for hours, literally, AND NOT STOP! I couldn't take it! Finally when she was at the vet for a check up I asked him about it and he suggested buying those KONG toys. They are available at pretty much any pet store. You fill it with her/his favorite treats and put it in the kennel when you leave.
This is honestly the only thing that works for me. Not to mention I give her a pig ear treat in there occasionally as well.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
KONG! works wonders just like brandileigh080 said keeps em busy for awhile or a nice bone to chew on to, hope that helps

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
I use plain yogurt and a sterilized bone for Riley
4-6" Natural Femur Bone

and I fill it with the yogurt and plastic wrap it, place it in the freezer until it hardens and before I leave or as a treat for being good I will give it to her, she goes at it for a long time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the KONG w/ Yogurt as well.It works wonders!!! Also, I hide 5-6 treats in the kitchen(thats where Brooklyn stays while we are at work/away) before I leave, its like a scavenger hunt for her and it takes her mind off us leaving(I think its her favorite time of day.lol). Anyway, by the time we are out of the driveway, she forgets whats going on and its right to the kong! Make sure he/she has plenty of toys to be entertained while you are away as well...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Broken record by now but I use the KONG as well. I put in peanut butter or yogurt then freeze it over night and give it to Bailey before I leave. Like Fatadam9 said make sure there are toys for them as well. Freezing it has made all the difference for me because it takes Bailey soooo long to finish it because all she can do is lick it like a popsicle.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
All good advice. Also, the way your friend leaves and returns to the house is important. If he leaves without saying goodbye or even just a very casual goodbye and ignores the dog for a good 5-10 minutes when he returns, this will go a long way to reduce the separation anxiety.

I had the same thing with Nitro as a pup and found that this stopped it really quickly.

·
Registered
366 Posts
my dog did this on his own, but when i left he would take things of mine such as my shoes or a shirt and whereever he lays down to sleep, it would be right there beside him. the first few times i got home and my shoes would be right on the edge of the bed, in perfect formation, both of them. it tripped me out for sure i was thinking that the apartment maintence man was going in just messing with me, then i though it was my friend, so i confronted him and he was like, "naw that wasnt me, but its a good joke." but it kept happening, everyday. finally we both left for like 10 minutes, when we came back there they were again;in perfect formation laying right next to him.

for some reason they do this so they can feel your presence whenever you arent there. they will take something of yours, that has the distinct smell of you and sleep with it or lie with it in order to make them feel like they arent alone. its pshycological thing fosho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts