Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it turns out the dog I'd thought I would be getting for my job (pest control company, using dogs to sniff out bed bugs) is not going to work out. She was a young, female golden retriever. I was happy because male/female introductions usually go easier, blahblahblah, yay a male/female household.

Well, since she won't work out, the other dog they're leaning towards is a rescue dog, mixed spitz-type breed and male. :(

Kane is generally good with other dogs. I consider him a low to medium DA dog, because his aggression tends to be situational; he has high prey drive, which I learned the hard way this summer, and he could take or leave a dog that is rude.

Earlier this week, I dog-sat a UKC APBT for a friend, a young male named Jax. Kane handled it pretty well considering this was the first time they'd met--there was some initial snark from him, setting down the rules for Jax and letting him know what Kane would and would not allow him to do during play. But once they got that figured out, with me hovering over them to make sure corrections didn't get out of hand, etc, they played like best friends. I used their crates as mini-time outs and cool down areas if they started getting too rowdy and made sure Kane's chuck-it ball was put away, as that is his crack and I wouldn't have been surprised if he got possessive of it.

But that was just for three days.

This new dog is going to be living with me and Kane for as long as I have this job (or if the company decides this dog won't work out, whatever).

So yes. Really nervous about living with two male dogs in my (small) house, and I needed to vent somewhere, lol. :hammer:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have 2 male dogs who DONT get along and had 2 before this set ,crate and rotate works great as you already know :) Im sure it wont be that bad , try like you did with the last male and see how it goes if it doesnt you can crate, or tellt he company a male dog isnt an option in your home. if its a company dog they should put up to house this dog properly if it doesnt work for you , really shouldnt fall on you especially if you dont have a say in what dog comes into your home. If it was my home id give them a list of breeds I will allow in here and the sex I will accept if they dont find one in those lists they canhouse the dog at the office and the dog can be picked up daily for work.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's really no way the company can house the dog, unfortunately. The corporate office is about an hour away and I'll be working out of their office in my city. Plus, I wouldn't want the dog I use to be living and housed somewhere else, because 1) it'll be more difficult to develop a bond and working relationship (IMO) and 2) I'll lose training opportunities and company time if I have to go back and forth to get him.

They did ask what I preferred in a dog. I said nothing smaller than 40lbs (high prey drive), but I didn't care about gender as much, although I preferred a female. The problem you run into when you start limiting the dog you want to work with by breed and gender and size is that it is SO HARD to find a dog with the appropriate drive to WANT to sniff for bed bugs AND have the physical requirements you want. Plus, you have to keep the public image thing in mind, so we're already limited on the breeds we can use (no "dangerous" dogs like pit bulls, rottweilers, gsd's, etc).

I mean, this is really my dream job and EVERYTHING is paid for with this company (2012 ford escape company car with a gas/maintenance card so I don't have to pay for gas/oil change/whatever; all dog supplies like toys, crate, vet bills, etcetc). I'll make it work.

I just ... wibble about my Kanedog and his reaction. :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Oh thats good you got to kinda pick the size of the dog and stuff I wouldnt have been happy if they placed a small dog with me LOL cant stand small dogs. And if they are paying fro everything would they go for a dog run for outside? would help if you have to seperate them ;)

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Why be nervous? If they dont get alone just crate and rotate, its just that easy ;)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Well I have 4 game bred dogs all under the same roof it can be done ;) Just make sure you don't leave them alone ever. If they get out of hand crate and rotate you will be fine.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well I have 4 game bred dogs all under the same roof it can be done ;) Just make sure you don't leave them alone ever. If they get out of hand crate and rotate you will be fine.
While I agree with you Sadie i also would say given what you feed, you have been lucky thus far to not really have any major problems with peacefulness..Unless something has changed.

My two hounds tolerate each when being worked on good days, generally they are separated at all times.. I've also never had two dogs at once that could get along peacefully, i did briefly about 6 years ago for a few months but then "IT" hit the fan needless to say... Not to say this is how your two will be Kane as like Sadie said it can happen..

Just don't leave them alone together unattended for even the most brief moment, no matter how well of an impression there is.. During play time, training or work out exercises use your best judgement.. If they seem to get along go for it but expect to eventually crate and rotate..

Expect the worst and you are prepared, expect the best and you are in a world of hurt.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know, I know. Crate and rotate will save my butt, probably. I've just never been in a situation with a male/male household or where I've had to separate the dogs I have. I'm afraid that without that experience, it'll create problems.

Book smarts are all well and good, but experience is what you actually learn from. :)

·
3,272 Posts
I promise chica crate and rotate is VERY easy it really is no big deal at all! If the dogs are properly kennel trained it's even less stressful then monitoring while there together even if they do get along. No chance of an ” accident” that way you know. I personally in your situation would crate and rotate just so they would never be able to say I damaged company property!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
While I agree with you Sadie i also would say given what you feed, you have been lucky thus far to not really have any major problems with peacefulness..Unless something has changed.

My two hounds tolerate each when being worked on good days, generally they are separated at all times.. I've also never had two dogs at once that could get along peacefully, i did briefly about 6 years ago for a few months but then "IT" hit the fan needless to say... Not to say this is how your two will be Kane as like Sadie said it can happen..

Just don't leave them alone together unattended for even the most brief moment, no matter how well of an impression there is.. During play time, training or work out exercises use your best judgement.. If they seem to get along go for it but expect to eventually crate and rotate..

Expect the worst and you are prepared, expect the best and you are in a world of hurt.
My point is not to say they can live under the same roof and actually get along .. My point is if you have space and crates you can manage these dogs just fine wether they will get along or not. I have a lot of control in my house and am able to manage my dogs just fine. My dog's do not run around in bliss and play with one another without issues. I am constantly intervening and I don't allow my dog's to stay focused on one another for too long. The dog's play sessions are very brief. Are they trying to kill one another no (at least not yet) but they will tolerate each other and I know what I am doing and how to handle these animals properly which is why I can manage 4 bulldogs under the same roof. People make it seem like it's so hard to manage these dog's when it's really not difficult if you have DA dog's crating and rotating is the easiest way to handle it. Kane if you are constantly having issues with getting both dog's to accept one another don't push it or force them to get along just separate. You will be ok if you need any help we are here do not be fearful because they will pick up on that. Just keep an eye on them at all times when they are out together.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
properly introduce them, dont just have a strange dog enter kanes home. As a working dog, he should be kept and crated properly according to his job as well. this dog isnt going to be a pet. or is it?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
PS If you bring any outside dog into my home my dog's will not even hesitate to take it out. I don't expect my dogs to be best friends but they better not act like crazy fools either we don't play that crap here. There is a difference in a dog who's just nuts and not manageable because it's had no home training or is fearful of other dogs and a dog who is well controlled, confident, and mentally stable but will take another dog out if the opportunity presents itself. Redog I agree with introducing them properly that is very important and may take patience and time which is another reason why you need an extra crate.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
i always let them meet on nuetral ground at least twice. if that works out i put my dog in the back yard and dont let them see eachother. new dog can come in and roam the house to leave a scent. new dog goes out the front door and my dog can come in the back and sniff around but not see the new dog. if my dog seems cool then they can go face to face in the back yard. if everything stays cool they can come in the house for a bit. no toys no treats and no focusing or rough play.

·
3,272 Posts
My biggest issue, is as dav said this is a working dog, keep it safe and WORK IT!!! It does not need to be treated like a pet sleeping in bed with you playing with kane ect. Not saying you can't love on it and such but maybe, just put the dog in another category labeled worker and kane pet so minimum interaction between the two is needed. Especially with Kanes history it would probably just be the safest route. Its great he is getting along with your friends dogs but truthfully if they fight your friend will most likely forgive you alot quicker them a company who valuable property would have been the one damaged.
Do you understand what I mean?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
i always let them meet on nuetral ground at least twice. if that works out i put my dog in the back yard and dont let them see eachother. new dog can come in and roam the house to leave a scent. new dog goes out the front door and my dog can come in the back and sniff around but not see the new dog. if my dog seems cool then they can go face to face in the back yard. if everything stays cool they can come in the house for a bit. no toys no treats and no focusing or rough play.
There you go ... :goodpost: That's the ticket boss man. A lot of dog's will fight because they are fearful or unsure of themselves or because they feel threatened by the other dog. The idea is not to allow them to interact for extended periods of time. Keep it simple toys and food will most likely always result in a fight. Like Dave said don't allow them to become too focused on each other if the dog's get too rough step in and stop it. Lola was a little brat when she came home but she has gradually found her place in the home and with the dogs who couldn't even get near her when she first interacted with them. She tried snatching up the new pup and I stopped her in the act I am going to try them again in a few days just the two of them without Bogart and Ava around and see how they do. Best of luck to you Kane let us know how it goes.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
My point is not to say they can live under the same roof and actually get along .. My point is if you have space and crates you can manage these dogs just fine wether they will get along or not. I have a lot of control in my house and am able to manage my dogs just fine. My dog's do not run around in bliss and play with one another without issues. I am constantly intervening and I don't allow my dog's to stay focused on one another for too long. The dog's play sessions are very brief. Are they trying to kill one another no (at least not yet) but they will tolerate each other and I know what I am doing and how to handle these animals properly which is why I can manage 4 bulldogs under the same roof. People make it seem like it's so hard to manage these dog's when it's really not difficult if you have DA dog's crating and rotating is the easiest way to handle it. Kane if you are constantly having issues with getting both dog's to accept one another don't push it or force them to get along just separate. You will be ok if you need any help we are here do not be fearful because they will pick up on that. Just keep an eye on them at all times when they are out together.
I hear ya, i was more or less simply adding on to what you said.. While yes, it is manageable (and fairly easily) to those that are seasoned with multiple bulldogs my point in my post was making sure not to give the impression that these dogs can do well without crate and rotate, or give the false expectation of harmony.

I know you know what your doing, i know you know what your feeding.. If my post came off as i was questioning you it wasn't meant to be. ;)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
No I didn't think you were questioning me just wanted to elaborate more about what I meant by my statement. Kane has been here long enough to at least know these dogs can and will fight even if you have DA dogs in the home it can still be managed very easily I was simply saying if I have 4 game bred dogs and can manage them all it's def do able that does not mean they will get along it just means you work around it. Ariel as far as treating working dog's differently than you would your own house pet I am going to have to disagree with you there. A working dog does not need to be treated any different they just require different needs that doesn't mean they should be isolated or limited from human contact and affection or that they shouldn't be allowed to sleep in the bed .There were box dog's like Virgil who slept on the couch, with the cat, and could even play with other dog's outside of the box. Tornado was another one who was kept in doors. Working dogs often make excellent pets and can be both a worker and a pet and still be treated the same as any other dog in the home. There is nothing wrong with having a strong bond with a working dog it just depends on how you want to treat them I guess.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I actually agree with both sides of the working dog aspect.. A working dog reduced only as pet status is a waste, they should be treated as a working dog. Loving them and keeping them indoors isn't going to hurt anything however dogs kept outside that have that time apart from the handler can create a higher level of need to please...Eager to get worked..

A working dog is a working dog no matter how you cut it, bred properly, worked properly doesn't matter where they lay their head at the end of the day.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I agree with you there Km if your going to own a working dog it should be worked to it's fullest capability or it's a waste .... I just don't think it really matter's where they sleep on the floor, the bed, the couch, a chain spot a crate it really doesn't make a difference. Also working dogs should be smart enough to know when it's time to go to work it's time to work and when they are at home off the job they are just like any other dog or pet. However you want to keep them when they are in keep or preparing for a competition, hunting season ect that's a matter of preference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with you there Km if your going to own a working dog it should be worked to it's fullest capability or it's a waste .... I just don't think it really matter's where they sleep on the floor, the bed, the couch, a chain spot a crate it really doesn't make a difference. Also working dogs should be smart enough to know when it's time to go to work it's time to work and when they are at home off the job they are just like any other dog or pet. However you want to keep them when they are in keep or preparing for a competition, hunting season ect that's a matter of preference.
*like it matters* I agree 100% with KM and Sadie

1 - 20 of 65 Posts