Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just adopted a shih tzu from the shelter, i know this forum is for pitbulls but i need advise. They said that they would make his appt. for the vet andsometim this coming week he would be neutered and we can pick him up there. But , i have never had a dog get neutered before. I know the vet will explain things but what are they like the first few days afterwords and should i keep him confined until he heals, oh and will he be able to eat after ? I have been looking on diff. sites but im just looking for more info , thanks :)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
He might be groggy the first day because of the pain medication, and he might not want to eat either. My boy was a little groggy and lethargic (but not overly so) for the first day/night and skipped his dinner. The next day he was back to normal, and I had to fight to keep him from tearing the incision. Do you know what kind of stitches they're going to use? Kane was stitched inside versus outside and the incision was glued, so I didn't have to worry about him picking at the stitches and having to put him in an e-collar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks,and no im not sure but he cant come home til the day after his surgery . They really didnt tell me much about what they was gonna do though or what he would be like.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Some dog's can experience after effects from the anesthesia and pain medications. A little vomiting, and lethargy is not uncommon within the first 24 hours. They should send you home with an elizabethan collar and you will want to keep him confined to a crate limiting strenuous activity no running, jumping, or playing for 7-10 days. There should be minimal swelling and redness discharge is NOT normal and would indicate sign of infection and if you notice anything of the sort contact the vet ASAP continue to check the incision twice a day after the surgery for 7-10 days. You want to keep the dog from licking, bitting, or chewing at the incision area that is what the E-Collar is for but you can also use bitter apple spray as well if you notice the dog is able to mess with the incision even with the E-Collar on. Also no cleaning the incision area with anything and do not bathe the dog until the healing process is over after 7-10 day period. Your dog may not have much of an appetite for the first 24 hours this is normal but should increase the following day. Your vet will send you home with pain medications that can be given for a few days after the surgery. Hope this helped and good luck with everything. The surgery itself is very safe complications that can arise are typically caused by a reaction to the anesthesia or infection to the incision area that is why it's important to keep your dog from licking that area and limit activity during the healing time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay,i already have a crate ready for him , but im worried that where he has been at the shelter for 2 weeks that he is used to it there,and i realize that when he gets here he will be scared and will have to adapt to his new home but on top of that he has to get fixed,,,,is there anything i can do to make him be less scared and feel at home ? Sorry for allthe questions i just wanna do this the right way . :)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Okay,i already have a crate ready for him , but im worried that where he has been at the shelter for 2 weeks that he is used to it there,and i realize that when he gets here he will be scared and will have to adapt to his new home but on top of that he has to get fixed,,,,is there anything i can do to make him be less scared and feel at home ? Sorry for allthe questions i just wanna do this the right way . :)
Keep his crate next to you while you are at home and keep a blanket in there to make his crate comfortable. If you can get him used to being comfortable in the crate a week before you take him in for surgery that would be even better. Just make his crate as comfortable as possible I don't recommend leaving toys in the crate but a nice comfy blanket always make's it more comfortable for the dog. Maybe mark your scent on his blanket as well so he knows your with him even when your not ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep his crate next to you while you are at home and keep a blanket in there to make his crate comfortable. If you can get him used to being comfortable in the crate a week before you take him in for surgery that would be even better. Just make his crate as comfortable as possible I don't recommend leaving toys in the crate but a nice comfy blanket always make's it more comfortable for the dog. Maybe mark your scent on his blanket as well so he knows your with him even when your not ;)
Oh okay, but thats just my problem, i dont have him yet, he was brought into the shelter 2 weeks ago, and i adopted him thursday...they have to keep him til his appt. to get fixed this up coming week :confused: its horrible but thats there rules. He dont know me that much yet, but i will leave something of mine in there for him .

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Oh okay, but thats just my problem, i dont have him yet, he was brought into the shelter 2 weeks ago, and i adopted him thursday...they have to keep him til his appt. to get fixed this up coming week :confused: its horrible but thats there rules. He dont know me that much yet, but i will leave something of mine in there for him .
Oh I see awe ... Ok then well just make sure you keep his crate comfortable with a blanket and keep him near you when you are home.... will you be home all day while he is recovering for the 7-10 days? Or will you be at work part of the day?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I see awe ... Ok then well just make sure you keep his crate comfortable with a blanket and keep him near you when you are home.... will you be home all day while he is recovering for the 7-10 days? Or will you be at work part of the day?
:) Okay thanks ,, i will be here most of the time with him . Also people have told me that they wont eat til the next day,im getting him 24 hours after his surgery so could he eat then ?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
The day before the surgery they can't eat or drink anything after midnight. Usually after surgery the have a very grim appetite and many wont eat the first day.The next day after surgery your boy will most likely eat very little and this is not anything to be alarmed by but after a few days his appetite will begin to pick back up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts