Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv looked up some things about neutering but always like an answer on my own thread for some reason.my boy got out this morning and i had to chase him around for like 45 mins trying to get him to come,he listens but is stuborn when it comes to being outside,hes usualy leashed when outside but the door blew open and he took off.i want to get him neutered cause i read it will keep him from wanting to run off and sniff everything and his attention will be better focused on me. is this true?whats the main advantages beside an accidental mating?

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
iv looked up some things about neutering but always like an answer on my own thread for some reason.my boy got out this morning and i had to chase him around for like 45 mins trying to get him to come,he listens but is stuborn when it comes to being outside,hes usualy leashed when outside but the door blew open and he took off.i want to get him neutered cause i read it will keep him from wanting to run off and sniff everything and his attention will be better focused on me. is this true?whats the main advantages beside an accidental mating?
IDk how old he is but i can tell you that it probably wont help. I here that dogs Wonder less when neutered, but as far as coming to you just because he gets neutered doesnt soung like a fix to me. My male is stuborn as Heck, He comes when he wants when he's outside. I thought he was Deaf for a while until my wife started using FOOD, now when i say "COME SEE" he looks up at us, if we have somthing, bam he's to us in a Sec !! Sounds Like a case of training to me, and for me the saying "you cant teach a old dog new tricks" Is true, Unless I use a GOOD reward ;)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Neutering will keep him from running off after females etc, but if he just likes to make a run for it when the door is open then I don't think it will help you. As for sniffing everything that is a negative lol Kangol sniffs EVERYTHING still. I had Kangol fixed when he was 3 and it did calm him down some, but I don't know if it was because I had him fixed or if it was because he was older. He is still highly DA and still has mad drive; in fact, he still does everything he did before I had him fixed (he is 6 now). He did gain about 10 lbs but that isnt because he was fixed- I had a baby and I got a little lax on the amount of time I worked him. He's getting back down to his original weight though :)

If he is a pet then I would neuter him. Also, obedience training will help you with the focusing on you and coming when called.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
You are going to get twenty different answers from twenty different people especially men lol ;) ! Neutering isn't the end all be all of behavior issues. Its not going to cure his listening skills that will be up to you to work on training with him. Neutering has its negative and positive affects on male dogs but as long as he is matured and over a year or two I would have it done. It will decrease roaming and will help him to focus more on you. I have had fixed males and intact males and my fixed males made much better pets and were more calm. My intact males listened but were more intense.....we already own a DA breed but IMO and I'm sure some will agree neutering will help that to a point especially if its done at an early age. Of course I am going by my personal experience over the years. As a vet tech for a few years I did see some cancers and enlarged prostrates in males as well as mammory cancer in females. But you know your dog best and what it comes down to is your personal choice and what you feel is best for your boy :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
OMG, how timely is this question. I was just coming here to start a thread on this very subject.

It was foggy last night when I got home from work and my driveway is around back in an alley. As I was pulling in I saw a loose dog coming out of my neighbor across the alleys yard. I know his dog, Maya, and she's a real sweet laid back little UNSPAYED pit. His yard isn't fenced and they let her out on a chain and runner set up.

So, like I said, it's foggy - it's dark - and I assumed Maya had gotten loose. Being a good neighbor I tried to get her back. Um.... Turns out it wasn't Maya... It was a similar sized and colored and very sexually frustrated male and he was apparently in NO mood to make my acquaintance. I left him be and he ran off down the alley and I could tell his route by the sound of other barking dogs in the neighborhood.

I'm assuming Maya has come into heat again. Jake wasn't neutered when I got him and Maya went into heat before I could get him fixed and it was a constant headache trying to keep him contained as he tried more and more ways to try to escape.

Since he's been fixed he's a lot less single minded focused on getting out. He'd still run off and chase a squirrel or something if given half a chance but he doesn't have the primal drive he did when he was intact.

The male in the alley last night wasn't from this neighborhood and I have no idea how far he traveled to try to satisfy his breeding imperative, but it was dangerous to him, dangerous to Maya who thankfully was inside by the time he arrived, and could have been dangerous to me if I hadn't paid attention to his body language. Lucky for him too that I'm not one of the "Oh my god there's a vicious killer pitbull loose on my block!" hysterics like too many people are and I didn't call the police or AC. Maybe I should have, but I thought he might not get a fair shake given his current attitude and perhaps he was just going to go back home.

When I go to the WPHS website and look at the lost/found dogs they are almost without exception unfixed dogs that got loose.

If Diesel is a pet and you're not going to breed him I think it's better for his own safety and peace of mind to have him neutered. He may still run off but he won't run off like a crazed Dr. Jeckyl. I wish Maya's owner would get her fixed.

That's my two cents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone,im definatly gonna get him fixed.me being a male i wasnt to sure if i wanted to get it done until he ran off and i looked a few things up and it seems it will suite him better because he is my pet,i wont be using him for working purposes or showing.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
thanks everyone,im definatly gonna get him fixed.me being a male i wasnt to sure if i wanted to get it done until he ran off and i looked a few things up and it seems it will suite him better because he is my pet,i wont be using him for working purposes or showing.
Good for you being a man and all and neutering your boy :) let us know how he makes out:woof:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Your problem is an obedience issue not a neutering issue. It will not make him focus on your more you need to train that. What is will do is decrease his sex drive so if a females is in season in the neighborhood he may not care. Some dogs even is neutered still get excited when a females comes into season and they can still lock up with a female in season. The only reason to neuter a male IMO is to prevent breedings, and help with sex dive. I would keep a male intact till at least 18 months or longer to allow them to mature properly. Neutering them early can change how he develops he needs that testosterone to finish filling out. If you are having major issues like dominance, marking, and sex drive them getting him fixed can help but is not the answer. Training will keep him from running off, I have intact males and even with a female in season they still listen and come when called. They may a little bit of a pain in the rear but they still listen.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
good for you i am glad to hear this, even if it does not effect his recall (something only training can do) i believe this is best for you and your pup as we don't need any more pups with no homes out there, something that will happen if he continues to get out to visit fluffy don't the street ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
neutering will not fix everything but it sure helps, and I think if you do all you can to help him be able to focus and concentrate easier, it will help in the long run. get him neutered and then start some training. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts