Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!
So it's been a couple weeks now owning oso and everything has been great so far, I started him on his vaccines, and he sits on command (most of the time lol), still potty training him but he's getting the hang of things. Now living in San Francisco I know that you must neuter the dog. I don't plan on breeding and it might benefit oso as far as peeing and aggression later? So I have no problems with going through with it. Spca offers free neutering for pitbulls and I have made a appointment for him for August 17th (3 months then) but now remembering some things I have read, neutering should be done once he's older right? I want opinions, if I should wait till he's older or go through with the appointment. I'm also trying to find a good vet that can crop his ears before 6months, so if anyone knows any vets SF, Daly City, San Bruno area please let me know. ps. wiling to drive further =) thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Is there an age requirement where you are for neutering? Myself and my husband personally choose to wait until our dogs are older And have matured before we neuter. My boy got neutered at 1. Our puppy we have now will be neutered between 1-2. There are a lot of different opinions of when to do it. There's threads here discussing it and you can also look up more online. Our female was spayed around 6 months and we haven't had any issues with her. Nor Cain who was neutered at 1. We also have no intention of breeding our little mutt pup but personally choose to wait.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
If you legally can wait, I would wait. If you can not or run the risk of getting ticketed and forever targeted a "bad" owner, get it done. Better to be safe for your dogs safe. Yes they could have growth issues but I would rather the dog be alive and safe. :) Also Neutering can help attention or marking, but its might not. It depends on the dog and sometimes it doesn't make a difference, sometimes it does. :)

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Yea it's a hard call, I've had two neutered at the exact same age that were complete opposites. Marley was one of those dogs that had to pee on everything. Omg him and Mack would follow each other around the yard peeing over the other ones pee till they were both bone dry. It was like a contest with those two who got the last pee. Lol.
Now Dosia was neutered around the same age as Marley and doesn't even lift his leg lol. He's tried it maybe twice and he's almost 5 years old lol. He doesn't give a crap who peed on what lol.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Yea it's a hard call, I've had two neutered at the exact same age that were complete opposites. Marley was one of those dogs that had to pee on everything. Omg him and Mack would follow each other around the yard peeing over the other ones pee till they were both bone dry. It was like a contest with those two who got the last pee. Lol.
Now Dosia was neutered around the same age as Marley and doesn't even lift his leg lol. He's tried it maybe twice and he's almost 5 years old lol. He doesn't give a crap who peed on what lol.
Lol Cain doesn't hike really anymore now either. He does every once in a while but it's rare.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Lol Dosia straight just gave up on trying to figure that one out. XD

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being a new pit bull owner I'm not sure how this law thing works in fact my gf was the one who read up on it and told me about it. Is it something that if the cop sees the dog he will ask if he's been neutered? I think the law says something along the lines neutering 90days after owning the dog but don't quote me =p regardless if it will be something that will affect the dog I wouldn't want to go through with it and maybe just keep the dog on the low till old enough to be neutered.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Being a new pit bull owner I'm not sure how this law thing works in fact my gf was the one who read up on it and told me about it. Is it something that if the cop sees the dog he will ask if he's been neutered? I think the law says something along the lines neutering 90days after owning the dog but don't quote me =p regardless if it will be something that will affect the dog I wouldn't want to go through with it and maybe just keep the dog on the low till old enough to be neutered.
You can always call and check. I live outside city limits but we plan on moving in a couple years so I will have to find out the city laws when we do. I think the sheriffs office or city hall could tell you.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
looks like you have 30 days, unless you get a vet to say they medically can NOT be S/N. The first offense for non compliance is your dog is taken. Not worth it to me. IMO move or fix your dog, don't be irresponsible and run the risk of getting caught. No matter that I agree with waiting til the dog is older, you will be a "bad" owner if you are caught and the law isn't on your side. You cant hide balls, they are right there. ANYONE can snitch on you at any moment. Neuter your pup. I would recommend a vasectomy, but I don't think that is also following the law.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Well from what I'm seeing shouldn't the puppy have already been neutered? Unless I read that wrong. Personally, with all the fines and junk that could come if you don't and get caught I'd go ahead with it. It looks like you have 30 days to neuter. There's nothing wrong with neutering or spaying young. Like I said its personal preference. Our girl spayed young and she's healthy and happy.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
looks like you have 30 days, unless you get a vet to say they medically can NOT be S/N. The first offense for non compliance is your dog is taken. Not worth it to me. IMO move or fix your dog, don't be irresponsible and run the risk of getting caught. No matter that I agree with waiting til the dog is older, you will be a "bad" owner if you are caught and the law isn't on your side. You cant hide balls, they are right there. ANYONE can snitch on you at any moment. Neuter your pup. I would recommend a vasectomy, but I don't think that is also following the law.
You beat me lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The appointment is set for August 17th by then he will be 3 months so I'll go through with it. Should he be fully vaccinated? I started him last week. And he is scheduled on August 5th to return for round 2. I really appreciate the help and opinions! wish I could have waited to avoid any growth issues hopefully nothing serious just want him to be healthy. I have been looking for housing outside sf actually and been interested in this house but nothing yet would be good to move right now lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
haha oh yeah you will be fine. Testicles don't drop under over 6 months at least.

Keep with your vaccination schedule and do not take him to public areas or pet stores or any public place not in your yard or in other yards you KNOW have been vaccinated) in public don't let his feet touch the ground until all shots are completed. They can pick up a disease which is what the shots will prevent. I am not saying not to socialize him, I mean public parks and pet stores and the like where who knows if dogs carry or have a contagious disease have walked before you.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Those are some amazing laws right there.
agreed and it relates to pit bulls because of a presa canario that attacked someone really bad. Makes total sense to make such restrictions ("breed discrimination" is illagal in CA) SOOOOOOOO stupid, sure lets restrict one "breed" cause a different breed attacked someone. :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's crazy how much they ask from pit bull owners. Once again thank you to everybody! Always good to know I can come here and ask the experts! =D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts