Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just saved a puppy from going to the pound over the weekend, He is only 4 weeks old so I was told but he is already on hard food what if anything do I need to supplement his moms milk for the next few weeks? And any good threads or comments that you could add on crate training would be very helpful. Here are a few pics.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
OMG I dont get people who do that , if you make the mistake to breed or have an accident its your responsibility to care for them for the time needed, 6 weeks min 8 weeks is better. I dont get people . Glad you saved him what a sweetie he is adorable. he is eating hard kibble already or are you soaking it? we started our pups at 4 weeks on kibble but soaked it in goats milk or warm water for like 20 -30 min before we fed them to soften it up a bit as there teeth arent always fully in yet. you can use milk replacer to mix in or goats milk is what we were told to use and it worked great. 4 weeks they usually start to wean so would only have to do this maybe a week or 2 max. I would look up bite inhibition in the search above and read up on that , there are a few things you need to take into account and a few more things to work on when you have a pup this young away from its litter and mom. Best of luck with the pup and any questions just ask , tons of knowledge on here someone will help you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx. Angel! And Same here I dont understand either! THey had 2 pits male and female of course and this was the result. Glad I found him though he is young but seems to be very smart already knows the dog beds in the house lol. But He was eating hard cat food when I found him his mom wouldnt let him nurse. I've been soaking his puppy food in milk and he seems to like it. but wasn't sure if there might be something else he needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And thx Firehazard and Uncle Will. Uncle Will I hope you've posted some new stories since my last time on here!

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I don't believe cow's milk is ideal for puppies. You'd likely be better off soaking the kibble in just warm water.

I think the most important thing here is teaching him some bite inhibition. He's weaned already and will likely do fine on whatever food you feed him but the reason pups should stay with their litter until they are 6-8 weeks is to learn puppy etiquette. There are some great threads on bite inhibition if you use the forum's search function you should be able to pull them up.

Oh and congrats on the new addition. Those pics are priceless.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yes cows milk is a no no and will cause tummy issues. has to be goats milk or puppy milk replacer otherwise plain water would be best.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
And thx Firehazard and Uncle Will. Uncle Will I hope you've posted some new stories since my last time on here!
I apologize, I haven't. The thing called life is beating me into A corner, or at least trying. I'm making out ok, it's just A constant battle.
I've finally got Internet signalmat my house. I got an LG Esteem and had it rooted so I could have Internet. Now I'll be on more.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx. for all the help guy's I went with the goats milk and it's done me good. And Uncle Will no need to apologize just post us up something when you can! I can't speak for any one else but your stories keep me going. And I'm a man from the hills of Tn.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Omg!!!! Its so tiny!! Good luck with your new addition :D

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Lol...im such a Sap for a cute lil pup with puppy breath. Mines growin like a weed, its been 4 weeks and shes lil a miiniture Dog. They grow up to fast ;( lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Cutie! Glad to hear its going well!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts