Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a apbt he is male about a year and a half old i knew his breed when i got him were known to be dog aggressive so since he was 8 weeks old i have socialized him petsmart parks friends dogs ect... he has always done fine but recently he is wanting to be agressive twards other dogs is this normal or am i missing something or what i am able to handle him being agressive i am just confused as to why he is acting like this

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
The onset of aggression as a bratty adolescent or a dog nearing maturity is normal. One of mine turned on at 1 year. The other turned on at 3 years or so. I would continue to socialize him, but be smart about it. Don't put him in any situation where he will fail (ie, no off-leash dog parks, keep him with dogs he is proven to get along with, take walks with friends, use opposite sex pairs, etc). Pay close attention to what his body language and behavior are telling you. Sometimes rough play looks like aggression, and sometimes aggression just looks like the calm before the storm.

Keep up his training and start challenging his brain to respond to you even though he is stimulated by the presence of other dogs. I think a reasonable expectation is for him to be able to work around other dogs, just not have to get along with every one of them. He will tell you what his threshold is. If he's already screaming and totally engrossed in another dog, you've gone over that threshold, so step back and reduce the level of intensity.

Sorry, I talk a lot of dog trainer speak. Hopefully you can understand what I'm saying. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you i do understand and appreciate your answer, he has always been a super wellbehaved dog so it kinda suprised me that he actrd out twards other dogs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts