Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week my husband and i were given a pitbull/terrier mix. She is about 8 to 10 months old. She had previously had another dog around the same age that was the alpha female of the pair.

We did not keep the other dog, and for the first two days her eating and drinking seemed to be about normal.. The night before last in her good behaviour she was rewarded with some scraps, some of it bread, some of it pieces of meat that were cooked. Then yesterday morning she ate some, threw up and hasn't touched the dogfood since. She hasn't been drinking, or if she has it has been minimal, and from what i can tell isn't using the bathroom either. She is more than willing to eat cooked eggs, or chicken and veggies if i make it for her, but won't touch the dogfood at all.

she doesn't seem dehydrated, her nose is wet and cold, she is playing and happily running around and otherwise seems fine.

should i worry yet? Do they just drink less and such when they don't have competition for the food and water?

if there is something wrong what do you suggest??

Thanks

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
First, welcome to GP. Second, if you are trying to get her to eat kibble after feeding her the good stuff then good luck with that lol

• Do not free feed kibble
    • Have a set time you feed her every day leave it down for 10 minutes and if she doesn't eat then take it back up. She will eventually learn if she wants to eat then she has to do it hen you put it down. Also, what are you feeding her?

• I wouldn't give her any cooked food unless they're just scraps. I feed RAW only and I do not feed kibble. There is a RAW food section in this forum if you are interested in it you can research it there.
  • Vegetables are not beneficial unless in the pureed form.
  • DO NOT feed corn it is very bad for dogs
  • DO NOT feed bread as grain is bad for them too
  • Do not feed eggs as it contains an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems.
    • I feed the SHELL ONLY.
    • EGG SHELLS Provide our dogs with much needed calcium. Eggshells consist of calcium carbonate (94%), magnesium carbonate (1%), calcium phosphate (1%), and organic matter (4%).

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
First, welcome to GP. Second, if you are trying to get her to eat kibble after feeding her the good stuff then good luck with that lol

• Do not free feed kibble
    • Have a set time you feed her every day leave it down for 10 minutes and if she doesn't eat then take it back up. She will eventually learn if she wants to eat then she has to do it hen you put it down. Also, what are you feeding her?

• I wouldn't give her any cooked food unless they're just scraps. I feed RAW only and I do not feed kibble. There is a RAW food section in this forum if you are interested in it you can research it there.
  • Vegetables are not beneficial unless in the pureed form.
  • DO NOT feed corn it is very bad for dogs
  • DO NOT feed bread as grain is bad for them too
  • Do not feed eggs as it contains an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems.
    • I feed the SHELL ONLY.
    • EGG SHELLS Provide our dogs with much needed calcium. Eggshells consist of calcium carbonate (94%), magnesium carbonate (1%), calcium phosphate (1%), and organic matter (4%).
:goodpost: good advice :)
on another note if you just got her would be a good idea just to take her in for a check up always a good thing when you bring a new dog in the home,. Update her worming if there isnt documented proof it was done recently and it just gives you a peace of mind after you get the all good from your vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quick update

i had been feeding her only twice a day and she originally ate so quickly that i didn't have to worry about taking it away. i have looked at the raw diet stuff and its interesting, i'm going to look into what is available locally to get into groups and such for it.. i only gave her the cooked food to see if she would eat at all, as it appeared that she hadn't eaten or hydrated, but with dinner time i freshened her waterbowl and she drank and she ate within about a 15 minute period.. i fed her at the same time as the people to keep her from begging so much.

i will definitely go with the timed thing, and we are looking for at minimum a cheaper kibble to put her on for the moment while i get all the information down on the raw feeding! It definitely does sound better for her and i would love to read and take it all in. Thanks for the advice and help!

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Click on the moderator geisthexe's name and then search all of her posts. Lots of important info. Once you do that post up any questions you have.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If she seems normal other than the eating habits, she's probably just waiting for you to give her the "good stuff" (human food!) I've had a few dogs that did the same thing, they don't want to eat the kibble, and they KNOW if they don't eat kibble, you will give in and give them something much tastier. My advice is to stop giving her scraps, as they are not very good for her anyways, and she will eventually get hungry enough and eat the kibble. :roll:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Sounds like the change could just be a bit much for her. Keep offering her kibble and she should come around in a few days. If you switch to raw do a lot of research there is more than just feeding raw meat.

A dog's nose tells nothing about health and is a wives tale. If you are looking for hydration levels you can grab the scruff of the neck and pull the skin up and if it stays up she is dehydrated. If it bounces back right away then she is fine, if it goes back slowly then she is starting to be dehydrated. You can also check the gums and see if they are pale.

If she gets lethargic at all then I would go to the vet something more serious could be going on. good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts