Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "inherited" my Kitana, who is an approx. 1.5 year old pitbull. My son rescued her from an animal shelter but couldn't afford to take her to the vet. Needless to say, since I already have many animals, I had to take her. She has demodectic mange and the vet has put her on ivermectin and antibiotics. The vet said she would likely have to be on this invermectin for a long time. So I googled this and was not happy to discover that this is not the best idea. I don't want to cause this sweet animal any further harm and I understand it will weaken her immune system even more. So, I've seen some all natural remedies online, but am skeptical. Any advice for a new pitbull owner is very appreciated.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
What are you feeding her? How many areas of mange does she have and is it localized or generalised ? If its only in a few areas you can try some nustock. Demodectic mange happens in part due to an already weakened immune system. I would put her on a high quality kibble, salmon oil for omega 3's, ester C, and a good probiotic. all of those things will help boost her immune system. If you can post a picture of her that would be a help to :) oh, and welcome to GP!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doc said it was generalized since she has it in lots of places, the worst of which is her throat. Currently she eats Alpo (as my other two dogs do). I've heard of this nustock and thought about it. I've also seen FloraPet Naturals online that has an immune booster consisting of several of the things you mentioned. I will try to post some pics later if I can figure out how! Many thanks Blue nose bella for your help. I know pits get a bad rap but I can honestly say that this pit is the sweetest animal I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Your welcome Jenlen but you really need to do research on a better food if you want her to get better ;) Alpo is terrible food filled with corn and other horrid ingredients dogs dont need. a lot of whats in alpo dogs can have allergies to as well. in order to get her healthy and better you need to feed her the proper nutrients she needs :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts