Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, names Keith. I'm 24 and from Benton, louisiana. I'm new to the forum, new to apbt. I've had my apbt for about 4 months now. I got him when he was 8wks old. His name is bomber and he's white and brown with green eyes and weighs 56lbs. He's always so excited to see our family and he tries very hard to be careful around our 16month old daughter even though he knocks her down on accident. I don't have a computer but I'll try to get some pictures uploaded tomorrow. Like I said I'm new to apbt so any tips would be much appreciated. I work in the oil field and I don't get as much time to play with him as I would like but I make sure I give him some kind of attention everyday even though some days I come home late and have to go straight to bed so I can wake up early. Some questions I do have is he knows how to sit and lay but I'm having tousle with stay and to get him to stop jumping when we get home. When he jumps I tell him down and I make him sit but he's just so excited he doesn't seem to get it. Lol another question I have just cause I'm curious, with him being 5-6 months old and weighing 56lbs, about how much bigger is he going to get. I just wanna know what I'm gonna be dealing with . Anyways thanks for reading and sorry for the introduction

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
get a ball strictly for work/ and training .. .. and sometimes play...
also.. put the dog on a lead or long rope and hand walk him letting him drag the rope is the idea, just a head of you so he's doubling the miles you are. .. give him some commands and show him through positive re-encouragement; how to sit, lay down, shake, roll over all physically with positivity in your voice.. .. just to start.. and insure house manners around the kiddos and in the house, through strict but positive re enforcment.

Hope this helps.. is a shortened version but GOPITBULL has plenty of tips on the TRAINING sticky.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just wanted to say :welcome:fellow Louisianian!

:cheers:

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Welcome to GP :D Boomer is a cutie!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Being as the dog is of unknown heritage ( not purebred) it is hard to say how big he'll get. Usually at 6 months you can double the weight and they are at full height, however at 56lbs at 4 months he may be bigger than an APBT.

I have children as well a 2 year old and 7 year old. With kids you have to be very careful and make sure the dog doesn't knock her over in to anything. Even thought he tries he is still a puppy and could hurt your child on accident. He is not fully aware of what hes doing when hes excited so you need to stop him right away when hes jumping and make him aware that it is not allow. I would put a leash by the dog and leash him as you come in so that you have a way to correct the jumping.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome! Bomber is handsome. Make a flirt pole to play with him to get exercise. Also I found a cheap bubble machine a great exercise tool. Mine loves chasing and trying to catch the bubbles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips. He does knock her down, usually by either turning around or running beside her, he's jumped on her one time when we just got him and he got in trouble and hasn't done it again but he does jump at my fiance' and barely bites her hand which he does it to me also but I think he's just trying to get attention not to be hurtful or mean. Deffinitely going to try yalls tips and see what happens. My other question is, is there any way anyone can tell by looking at him if he's got some other mix in him. I was told by the person I got him from that he full blood apbt and that his daddy was really big. The only reason I ask is because if there's a mix of a different breed in there, it may change his temperament and I don't want any surprises ya know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts