Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new puppy, he is around 5-7 months old, he was found abandoned last month and i got him about 1 week ago. he does great with me and my other dog, but he is scared of everyone else, will even growl at them, he is scared of everything else, cars, bikes, lawnmowers, doors, everything even a couch that is on the curb during one of our walking places, so how can i go about socalizing him, and getting him used to people, he is such a sweetie with me i dont want him to be scared of everything. i think he was abused as they had found him in rough shape,

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are lots of resources on this forum about the "how tos" of rescue dogs.

Unfortunately, I fail at the internets, and for the life of me, can't find what I'm looking for, so I'll see if I can explain it...hopefully, if screw something up, one of the rescue gurus will come in here and set me straight.

I have read on here in a couple different places about the "2 week shut down"...which basically means, once you've got your new dog at home, give him/her a good 2 weeks to just get to know you and your household.

Don't make any special demands, no intros to new people, places, or things....just let them get used to the new routine of a safe place, comfy bed, regular meals, and nothing scary.

After that time period, start with baby steps. Go for a short walk, have somebody calm come to your house...that sort of thing.

Also, after the 2 weeks or so, maybe enroll in obedience classes to help with confidence building.

Hope this helps, some....also, lurk around the site, and read a lot. There are a lot of people here who work at/operate rescues and they can probably give you a lot more detailed info than what I did.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Here are a couple thread. getting into some basic obedience classes would sure help as well. Its going to take time especially since you dont know much about where and how your pup was cared for the first 5 months. I would work on basic commands and then take your pup outside and keep working on those same commands. move to a park and keep working on the commands in public. Basically giving your pup the confidence to know what you want and expect of them first and then slowly bringing the "scary" things into the equation while still having them know what is expected because you have been practicing what you want.

Here are a few threads that talk about different ways you can help your puppy.

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/38109-socializing.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-...ing-american-pit-bull-terrier-your-puppy.html

My dog is 3, and still HATES trash day due to the barrels. No matter what I do those stupid barrels piss him off when they are flipped on their side and rolling in the wind... lol

Reactions: =CC= and Vilebeast

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lots of great advice.. he will learn that you won't let anything bad happen to him and he will trust you. His confidence will build and even though his past was rough his future is bright. There are developmental stages in a puppys life where tramatic experiences can cause a lasting fear. He will look to you for support so don't be nervous when you are bringing him into a new experience because he will be able to feel it on the other end of the leash. And please don't pet him and say its ok when he gets scared of something...that only enforces his fear, you are in essence saying its OK to be scared and growl..don't say anything...or say his name and have him come to you and give him a treat, redirect him. I wouldn't let people just come up to him and start petting him, tell them that he is in training, you need to pick who and and the experience. Slowly introduce him to people and things every day and always end on a high note...make experiencing new things fun not scary. Always have a treat, especially when he conquers a fear.

There are alot of good posts on here on training your puppy...this is a fantastic site and you will learn ALOT. Please keep us posted on your puppys progress...what is his name?

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
all good advice in this thread.

, cheap hotdogs, keep them with you, once calmed down and/or over coming a situation reward, or have people when they come over just hold pieces of the hotdog, there nose will overcome there fear soon enough.

ABOVE all else, it will take as long as it takes.

Reactions: =CC=

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the advice,, his name is calvin, i will look into the other posts, and he does great with training, he already knew sit and lay down from my friend, and i taught him leave it, he picked it up in one training session, and am teaching him hand targeting, he did great with it, i took him outside yesterday and after he went potty, i tried to get him to do hand targeting, cause outside is when he gets nervous, and he did, the only thing he hasnt picked up on is loose leash walking, but he is a work in progreses, he cant always get everything in one session :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
and remember, be consistant, persistant and patient!!! Sounds like Calvin is a smart guy!!!

Post some pictures of him when you can!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Lol. Clever and oh so gorgeous! He seems like a great guy.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Adorable! What a cutie!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Wow Calvin is very striking! So handsome how could anyone give up that face!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Good looking Old Family Red Nose pup!

Okay, I was hesitant to comment before, but after having posted more and I have seen the pic, I have a little better assessment.
I believe he was abused, primarily psychologically. I believe he was locked indoors and never say daylight for a long period.
I say that because any pups I have had do not go get "socialized."
I will not put them at risk of any diseases.
But even my grown dogs, when they meet a stranger they are just fine.
I have had one shy dog, but it was shyness, and not fear.
He would dodge hands trying to pet him.
Totally embarrassing, but people found it cute, lol.

I would say all he needs is patience, and time.
He is currently the product of his environment.
So just start slow, by getting him comfortable outdoors.
Walk by crowds of people but never force him to get pet.
He will read you, so don't be full of worry, for his sake, about him.
If you are nervous, he will pick it up.
Don't let him get overly attached to you. Many do that and it will cause more problems.
And most of all DO NOT BABY HIM!
These dogs are intelligent, and will know how to use your weakness against you. LOL.

I wish you the best...he is a great looking pup!
The green eyes should change to amber soon, as he is not fully developed yet.
Btw, is he fixed? (Fixing a dog too soon affects their development/hormones)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good looking pup. Just be patient, and keep things on a positive note.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts