Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My name is Ed. I'm 22 in college and just got my first dog ever.

A friend was working 12 hours a day and had a 5 month old puppy that he could not take care of. So I took him. his name is Brown and theres a picture of him as my profile picture.

I definitely want to learn a lot here so Brown can grow into a well behaved dog. I'm also getting the "be the pack leader" book.

best,

Ed

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Hi and welcome. This is the best place to learn about our dogs. Look around if you have questions ask away we are willing to help out any way we can.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Hi Ed, welcome to GP, just as MM said feel free to ask questions and post lots of pics :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
welcome. Take Mr. Milan's teachings with a grain of salt, some of them are ok, but this is a different breed without a pack mentality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, from what I've been reading you cant just go with everything he says although he is good.

Is there good material for me to read on raising Pits? I'm not sure how I'm suppose to handle certain things.

for example, when we are playing, Brown jumps on me and sometimes scratches me by accident. Jumping on people will be a very unacceptable behavior, especially as he grows larger. So am I supposed to correct it even though he is just playing?

Anyways, what's some recommended reading?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
might be a good idea to look into some trainers , even just gettuin into a puppy class help socialize and tech you the basics. i know here for the begginer classes they arent that much. welcome though and cant wait for some pictures.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Yes. Even if he's playing, you need to correct things you don't want him to do when he gets older. He needs to know what is and isn't appropriate play and jumping on people is not.

Brown has such a sweet face! Definitely a cutie. :)

The only thing I agree with from Cesar Milan is this: exercise, love, and discipline. <-- that is all you need to have a happy and healthy dog, regardless of their breed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts