Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a question. I have a three month old pit and she wont walk on leash. she walks about 100 feet and sits and wont move any further. I've tried treats slight tugs. I've been told train before meals so the dog is hungry. I know with these dogs I need full control in order to socialize. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I am all for making a dog work for their food. We walk before we walk on every meal. Do you think its a distance thing? Or does she walk back the direction you came from OK, she just doesn't want to go further? I find walking buddies help get a dog moving if that's possible. But you have to be really obnoxious, try not to tug, just crouch down make kissing sounds click your tongue anything to get your pup interested. My pup didn't like to really walk til about 5 months. Just don't give up and carry your dog home. You have to wait them out so they learn how to walk :)

·
1,859 Posts
Hi all. I have a question. I have a three month old pit and she wont walk on leash. she walks about 100 feet and sits and wont move any further. I've tried treats slight tugs. I've been told train before meals so the dog is hungry. I know with these dogs I need full control in order to socialize. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray
Wont? Who's the boss you or the 3 month old pup?

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
The first few days after I brought my 8 week okd boy home he didn't want to walk on a lead. I tried food, squeeky toy etc. but he would only go a short distance and then sit or lay down. Nudging, pushing, or pulling him didn't work. It wasn't a question of being tired as he would run like crazy once back in the yard.

What finally worked for me was what Ames suggested. I was attempting to get him to walk when a person walked by with their dog. Naturally, my boy wanted to go to that dog. I stayed back ten feet or so from the person walking their dog and my boy happily trotted along in attempts to get to the other dog. After using this method a few times he got the hang of it.

Joe

·
Registered
507 Posts
I think it's a puppy thing and the pup will out grow it.

I experienced it with my dog when she was a pup and I see ALLOT of people across several forums always asking the same question.

With my pup I realized that if I carried her away from home - she would walk back home. :D It's a matter of finding what will motivate your pup, but I would recommend that you make sure to keep it a pleasurable/fun experience and don't let yourself get frustrated.

I think the next phase is wanting to walk and pulling like b*tch, then the next task is to teach loose leash walking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. She has been doing much better with leash walking before meals. I always take treats or a toy with me just in case and I've started changing the pace from walking to jogging to keep her focused on me and not all the other distractions in the city.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with the above, assuming its a puppy thing. My pup was the same way until we started walking with a pitbull that was 7 months older and another 2 years old than her. Then we starting going on our own and she has a better idea of the concept of walks lol. My kids use to always laugh at her and call her lazy because she wouldnt walk more than 10 steps without laying down not wanting to move, no matter if I was tugging the leash calling her to come.. she would probably let me drag her all the way home if I would've tried!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts