Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In the first pic is our new dog on the right, Zoe. Oliver is on the left. We have had her for about a week and a half. Oliver and Zoe play well together. They run around all the time and wrestle like big bro and lil sis.

Zoe was a bait dog to give a little history. We don't know much more since she is a rescue. When she was found she was chained up, sun burned and scarred. The vet is putting her at 18 months max and 37lbs. She has been spayed and she is house-broken. She is food aggressive with Oliver so we separate them in their crates during feeding. Bones are a no-no but chew toys and kongs don't make her show the aggressive behavior.

The only issue that we are slightly worried about his her playing technique. She loves to nip at Oliver's legs since he is bigger than her. he weighs in at 60lbs. She loves to do it so much that she is leaving bite marks on his skin and she even drew a little blood last night. Oliver doesn't seem to care, but we are wondering if this leg nipping can be stopped or if it's normal.

She doesnt really nip at people and she behaves pretty well. Should we be concerned with this nipping behavior?

bad idea to take in a bait dog? :(:(

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
How do you know she was a bait dog? Is that what the rescue said? That term makes my skin crawl because rescues use it to place dogs but it is not true.

Put her on leash and when she gets too rough say no and pop the leash. Your other dog may get sick of it and they could get into a fight. Food aggression is normal so feeding them apart is what you should do. Have you had 2 pit bulls before?

·
Registered
51 Posts
How do you know she was a bait dog? Is that what the rescue said? That term makes my skin crawl because rescues use it to place dogs but it is not true.

Put her on leash and when she gets too rough say no and pop the leash. Your other dog may get sick of it and they could get into a fight. Food aggression is normal so feeding them apart is what you should do. Have you had 2 pit bulls before?
That is what Susan told us. Susan is just a lady with a big heart and she takes in rescues. She doesn't ask for money or anything. She came to our house and checked everything out before we got both dogs. We also got Oliver from her too. OK well there is no real way to tell what kind of situation she came from. All I know is what I was told and yes it could be a lie.

When she was found she was on a chain, her teeth were chiseled from chewing on it, she was nearly brown, scars covered her and her tail was/is broken.

I will try the pop leash method if I can get her to nip at him in that situation.

No I have not had two pitbulls before. I have read up on having two dogs on this site but apparently I may be missing something... :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Chances are you do not have a bait dog, Again many rescue groups like to throw the term out there but in fact they have no idea what really happened. Most of my dogs are scared really bad and that is from accidental fights that have happened at my house, you can never tell but scars. It's sad the dog was not well taken care of, a proper chain set up the dog would have been happy not neglected.

Now lets talk about having 2 APBT's. You may have problems in the future so watch them closely and be ready to have them permanently separated if the time comes. Most APBT's will not live in happens with each other. Having a male/female combo is better but no guarantee. They may get along now but as they mature that could change at any time. Things you need to do for safety.
Get a break stick and know how to use it and how to break up a dog fight.
Feed them seperatly ( you stated you are already doing that)
No food items around the house like raw hides only toys if they do not fight over them.
NEVER leave them alone together when you are gone. I should have put this as the first rule, chances of coming home to a dead dog are too high please crate them when you are gone.
No games that will put them into drive and get them excited like fetch, that could cause a fight.
By following these suggestions you will minimize the chance for a disaster but they despite all your best efforts they still may not get along. Hopefully if you are following these rules they can live peacefully but if not again you have to be willing to separate. Dog aggression or DA is very common in this breed and they do not do well in packs. I have over 10 dogs right now and I only have a few that can live with each other, the rest are all separated. You have to remember that these dogs were bred to fight so DA is very real in this breed. Stick around this is a great place to learn more about the breed especially since you have 2 you may need some tips ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the great tips. We already keep them in their crate when they can't be supervised.That is how we have raised Oliver since day 1 and we plan on treating Zoe the same way.

I have read up on break sticks and I don't own one but I will for sure get one.

I plan on sticking around Gopitbull. This is a great forum and I have learned a ton from it. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.