Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got an 11 week old chocolate and white pitty. Her name is Journey.

I got her from the very poor shelter in the next town, and when I brought her home she had giardia and coccidia. Fun! I got to see her mom, who was a lovely red pit, about 40 pounds. Supposedly daddy was a chocolate, and most of the litter was, except a red and a really light brindle.

Her ears flopped until she was about 9 weeks, and now they are half-prick, and hilariously alert looking. What age range is recommended for cropping? How can you tell if a vet is going to do a good job? Also, obviously she's not ever going to be bred, or shown. Am I cruel for thinking about putting her through that surgery just for looks? She'll be a performance dog, if she chooses. Any advice is welcome, I'm still adjusting to her very different personality. She's my first pit, and my other dogs are herding breeds.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hi and welcome :) we need pictures. Anyways, cropping is done for looks and usually for show. Personally I like the floppy ears. Gives them character :D. Cropping is all up to you. I am assuming you are spaying her since she is from a shelter right? If u decide to crop maybe you can do both at the same time. I know someone who had great danes and did it that way. They have to be done by a certain age though I think 16 weeks or 4 months is the cut off time for most vets to crop ears. Somebody else may know better :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ok well rule #1 you cant come on here talking about this super cute puppy and not share pics :) lol but welcome anyways cant wait to see.
for the crop try calling some breeders in your area who have breeds that use crops like dobbis, or pitbulls, or am bullys ect and see who they use. best age i was told was before 12 weeks but most can do them after that age , some unethical vets will crop dogs up to a year here :(. could talk to vets see how many years experience { and how many crops they have done some might have 15 years but only done like 5 lol} and ask to see pictures , also bring in a picture of what you want yours too look like will help the vet understand better :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts

As for your question, the choice of whether to crop is up to you. You feed her, and you're the one that's going to have to look at her for the next 10-15 years. The general age for cropping is probably 8-16 weeks. As for what kind of work the vet does, you can always ask for recommendations from other people. And ask the vet if they can show you examples of their previous crops.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I wanted to thank you for adopting one the many pitties that are in shelters. That is super nice. :D..I like the others would LOVE to see some pictures of Journey BTW I love that name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.