Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my 8 year old male pit bull last November. He looks scary but has always been great with people & kids. We're still working on other dogs. Anyways, we have a routine in the am that includes a long walk, affection & food. On Mondays, however, I also take him to my office in the am while the housekeeper is at my house. He has gotten really good about not barking at people outside, but he has recently started growling at people entering my small office space. He has never shown any aggression to people before & is really scaring everyone including me! What can I do?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just some guesses: could be the confinement of the space and someone encroaching makes him uncomfortable, could be territorial...

Is he different if it is someone he "knows" and interacts with vs. "a stranger"?

Does he eventually relax and have some friendly interaction with the person?

The easiest, quickest, safest solution would probably be to get a travel crate for your office:

Petco Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Homes at Petco

And crate him preferably next to you in an out of the way area where people won't be going back & forth past his crate, with a nice frozen kong or something to keep him busy.

Maybe if it's a busy office all the activity and new people are stressful to him; in which case he'd probably be better off in the safety of a crate...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jazzy & Veronica,
He only growls at people he doesn't know that well, and usually when they are talking to me. He doesn't seem to relax. You might be right about the confinement issue because he also gets nervous when we pass people or dogs on narrow streets/walkways. I think the crate is a great idea. I'm going to try that next week.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Could be he needs his confidence built up to know that you got it. When you walk him, do you make sure you are walking him and not the other way around? Making sure he is always beside or behind you? You would be surprised how fast and wonderful structured walks help your dog know you are in charge and they don't need to worry.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When you say the behavior is starting all of a sudden...do you mean he came to the office with you for a year or more with strangers coming and going and he was always fine and relaxed until recently?

If so I would ask if you are really certain that he was fine and relaxed? Could he actually have been a bit tense and unsure of the situation...and then one day someone freaked him out more than usual and he barked and the scary person went away? In a scenario like that...the behavior could have been so reinforcing that it became his default behavior in that situation.

If you mean he came to the office w/ you for several months and seemed fine...I would ask is it possible again, that he was somewhat tense but unsure of himself and his surroundings so was subdued and not feeling confident enough to act "assertively"...then as time passed, his confidence grew, he began to feel like "this is my area" and he felt able to "assert himself".

I'm just guessing...it could be the above or something entirely different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts