Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to formally introduce myself and our girl KoKo. I've been lurking for awhile along with some "other" sites and finally joined this one as it seems way more chill than the others. Anyway KoKo is right at 18 months/61 lbs and is a great, great companion. Is 61lbs a good weight for her? Here's some pics and I look forward to contributing what I can to the board.

Dad I can see the tug toy in yo hand....

MINE!!

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
She is a pretty girl for sure, but looks to be overweight. Love her colors :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Welcome! Your girl is adorable, glad you posted! I am not an expert, and could be the sitting picture or angle but she does look heavy to me. Might just be the pictures though but I would think getting her to 50 would not be horrible for her hips :) I went through similar problems after my boy was neutered, he gained 10 lbs when I didn't cut back his kibbles. I upped his "workouts" and cut back the kibbles and extra treats. He is great now, IMO anyway :) he is just my pet so I don't need him looking conditioned, just wanted him healthy and the more weight the more risk for ACL tears and other problems... I wish someone was in charge of my kibbles so I could lose weight, lol.

Here is when Mel was 68.1lbs

and Now at 55lbs

I have been meaning to take some side pics similar this is just what I have right now. My pup is not squishy and very sturdy compared to other pups I have seen. Each is different. So its what you think works. But I do not see any tuck on your girl. There should be some definition and seeing the ribs is not a bad or unhealthy thing. your girl is really adorable though, very pretty love her color.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
that one looks better I can see her tuck :) thanks for adding and now I will step back while some of the experts give it a go, lol I am so bad with judging that :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
that one looks better I can see her tuck :) thanks for adding and now I will step back while some of the experts give it a go, lol I am so bad with judging that :)
I figured she's where she's supposed to be, but i'm definitely no pro so i'm open to suggestions. I just want her at a healthy weight. At the vet yesterday she was 60.6 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Welcome to GP. Pretty girl you have. Koko is def a fitting name. :)

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
Welcome;
She is a very pretty girl.

She does look a lil on the heavy side for me,
A pit bull should be a lean breed.
She seems to like the rope,
ever think of doing a spring pole or flirt pole for working her out some?

How much and what kind of food are you feeding per day,
& do you do any work outs with her? (i.e. walking, jogging, swimming, fetch, ect.)
I would say you could probably get her down to 50lbs and be good as gold.

My male is 45.4lbs right now,

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Welcome to GP :D im from TN too!!

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Welcome to the pack! I'm not from TN, but I do reside here, lol. I would also say your girl does a look a bit over weight. Especially considering how her frame looks (her bone looks to be on the thinner side, more fine-boned structure). Once you've answered Brittany's questions, we can point you in the right direction. Obesity is the #1 killer of almost all pets, IMO.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Her face is gorgeous! Very pretty girl. However, yes, she is overweight. Quite a bit actually. It's pretty deceiving, since they tend to put on weight very evenly. MOST pet dogs are overweight. Here's a quick check you can run yourself

Is My Dog Fat Test #1 - The Rib Cage
With your dog standing, slide your fingers over your dog's rib cage. If you can easily feel the outline of each rib when applying no more than very slight pressure (defined as sufficient pressure to indent the skin without application of force), your dog's weight is just right.

In overweight dogs, the ribs will be difficult to make out.

Is My Dog Fat Test #2 - The Hourglass
Look down at your dog's back area when you're both standing and see if his body narrows at the waist, creating an hourglass figure. If you do not see a clearly defined waistline when looking at your dog from above, he is likely overweight.

Is My Dog Fat Test #3 - The Tuck-Up
Examine your standing dog from the side (best accomplished if you sit or kneel to be level with your dog) to determine if her belly is tucked up behind her rib cage. If your dog's abdomen dips as low to the ground as her rib cage, i.e., you see a straight line with no tuck-up present, she is likely overweight.

If her abdomen is closer to the ground than her rib cage, she is likely obese.
Is My Dog Fat? - How You Can Find Out Guide By DVM Per Schonbeck

I cut that quote from the linked site because I am too lazy to type it all out.

She will feel a lot better and live longer if you can take a little weight off her. Dogs also tend to carry fat in the neck/chest area and you can see it on your girl a bit. On the bright side, it means you are probably spending too much on dog food=)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
she get's a 1.5 cups of wellness at 7:30-8p.m. every night and is walked twice for 30 minutes everyday. (morning and before I feed her)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
HOLY MOLY fat dog! If you only feed 1.5 a day you may want to have her checked out incase there isn't a thyroid issue or anything causing her to continuously gain weight. 1.5 cups isn't particularly much though activity levels and over all health (and quality of feed) all can go into play..

To give you an example, my 94 pound Bandog gets upwards of 4 - 4.5 cups a day depending on what i'm doing with him.. My 65 pound Bulldog gets between 2 - 2.5 cups also depending on what i'm doing with her however both of them are heavily exercised and worked frequently so on average they are getting a little more feed per day than most dogs at similar weights.

Based on the appearance of your dog now and weight, i would say a target weight would be probably around 50 pounds, if conditioned i'd say probably as low as 47 pounds while still at a healthy weight. Of course this is just a guess because i can't tell much based on a picture except overall appearance however i'd say a good 10 pounds at minimal would probably be something you want to work towards.

Not trying to make you feel bad or anything and welcome to the forum, I hope you take some of the advice given and keep us posted on your results.. The more weight a dog is carrying the more stress is being put on their joints which in return means higher risks of health problems current and in the future.

OH and just to add an hour a day walk is really not that much exercise. I probably spend about 4 hours a day just in exercise alone on average consisting of flirt pole, spring pole, swimming, (once a week) jogging, hand walking, treadmill, (if weather wont permit) bite work, tree climbing, and occasionally pulling.. Of course this is just a total of what i do weekly and have our own routine and this is not even getting into hunting and guarding work they do.

Not saying you have to do all of this but i'd say at minimal 2 hours a day OR days you only have an hour, start increasing the work loads to where you are cramming much more physical demand out of that hour than you are now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts