Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Mandy im 18 years old. I have pits in my life before and now currently i have one Named Petey he's 10 months old. My boyfriend wanted to get me a puppy for a surprise something we could raise together. We got Petey and i love him a lot. :) I'm exited about joining this forum this forum looks a lot friendlier than the last. I'm hoping i could learn a lot training wise i do know how to train my dogs but Petey is proven to be difficult And also whats the best food and etc. Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Hi welcome, what are you trying to train him to do? and what do you mean by being difficult? If you could explain a bit about what you meant, that would be great. Like you want him to come but he doesn't come and runs the other way, stuff like that...

There is also a good pet food comparison thread, take a look and then ask if you have a question. http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/3749-pet-food-rating-comparison-chart.html

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walking good on the leash he seems to be getting enjoyment out of dragging me to a bush, he never use to do this before. And his aggression towards unfamiliar people and dogs. I started socializing him at 9 weeks after he had all his puppy shots with friends neighbors their dogs and children he loved everyone and everyones dog up until 6 months of age. I really miss not having to worry about taking him out. Where he came from his parents were not friendly dogs at all so i'm guessing trait passed on. the people who were breeding of them must of been breeding them for something else because the dad had a shock collar. We were not gonna give them the money at first but the puppy was sick and we couldn't just leave him there... He was covered in mudd and tail was broken. at 6 weeks of age his tail was already broken /:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
wow that's horrible, poor pup! Good for you for trying to rescue him. One thing that worries me is you saying he has Human Aggression. Going after other animals is something these dogs will always do, but people, they should never fear people. Have you have a behaviorist come through to evaluate your dog? (not a trainer, but a dog behaviorist who can help access your situation? Most dogs react out of fear at the age he is, but if its been on going since he was born and his parents are also known man biters it could be a bigger situation that cant be fixed. What were the kind of situations your dog had and how did he react? growls or actually biting someone?

as far as leash pulling goes, can you walk with a stick of cheese and let him smell you have it in your hand and walk with him beside you and your hand holding the cheese above his head. If he gets to far away and starts to pull, call him in a nice happy tone and remind him you have the cheese and he gets some when he walks beside you or comes to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No not yet i need to though. When i first noticed his behavior he started growling and moving away from the people as he got older he now lunges his hackles are up and hes growling and barking. I have him muzzled so their is no way he can bite. Someone got mad when i was walking him and their dog ran up he sniffed it at first then he was getting angry he started trying to get the dog i had him muzzled that time it was a german shepherd puppy the girls told me i should not walk a dog like that. I simply said all dogs need exercise out of the house and your dog should be on a leash anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Walking good on the leash he seems to be getting enjoyment out of dragging me to a bush, he never use to do this before. And his aggression towards unfamiliar people and dogs. I started socializing him at 9 weeks after he had all his puppy shots with friends neighbors their dogs and children he loved everyone and everyones dog up until 6 months of age. I really miss not having to worry about taking him out. Where he came from his parents were not friendly dogs at all so i'm guessing trait passed on. the people who were breeding of them must of been breeding them for something else because the dad had a shock collar. We were not gonna give them the money at first but the puppy was sick and we couldn't just leave him there... He was covered in mudd and tail was broken. at 6 weeks of age his tail was already broken /:
Well dog aggression is very common in this breed, im sorry the breeder never informed you of this before you got him. Its easy to live with and in most cases with training you can manage it to a point so your not causing a scene every time you pass another dog. However this is a big reason this breed is not meant for dog parks or multi dog homes where owners arent prepared to deal with it. Typically this trait will pop up between a year - 2years but really anytime is possible. I seen it in my male at about 10 months so sounds like that is all thats going on there.
For the human aggression that is not a trait in this breed and should never be tolerated. It sounds like the parents being mean this may be a genetic issue and if thats the case the ONLY option you should even consider is euthanizing, please do not rehome this dog to anyone. If you are prepared to deal with a HA dog and house him properly with no way or chance of escape for this dog to harm anyone EVER then thats your choice,most arent prepared to do this especially if they have kids in the home.
Since we arent there hands on to say if this dog is truely HA its hard for us to diagnose this, best bet would be for you to find a trainer who has experience with this breed or agrressive scenarios and have him temperment tested. If you are interested in looking for a trainer maybe post up your city someone here may be able to point you to someone good.
The leash thing , what kind of collar are you using? may need to try something else , or having a trainer they could show you other techniques in using the equipment and maybe gaining more control over him. Last thing you want is no control over a possibly aggressive dog.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hi and welcome! If he were my dog and he was that HA he would be put to sleep. I am just being real with you and not trying to upset you but a true pit bull has no human aggression issues. Dog aggression...yes! People....no! I would try to find a really good trainer who knows the breed well and see if you can work on his aggression issues. That kind of dog is an accident waiting to happen and you can NEVER let your guard down with a dog like that. Is he neutered? Not that it's the end all be all and that fixing him is going to cure him but as he gets older, more mature, and the hormones and testosterone start flowing through his body he could get worse with age.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is true. I will never rehome him though he grew up in a home with 2 other dogs and is completely normal around them an old female cattle dog mix and a little male pug. He has a love for small dogs which is odd maybe he doesn't see them as a threat. I had been using a harness for a while because my boyfriends sister took his collar off. He is GREAT with the family they have a 10 year old and an 13 year old he loves them. I really need to look into a trainer that would be the best thing in mind. I know pits should not be human aggressive and i don't understand what happened if i did something wrong down the line... I tried to socialize him to the best of my ability even having children giving him treats and him licking them... I feel terrible

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
That is true. I will never rehome him though he grew up in a home with 2 other dogs and is completely normal around them an old female cattle dog mix and a little male pug. He has a love for small dogs which is odd maybe he doesn't see them as a threat. I had been using a harness for a while because my boyfriends sister took his collar off. He is GREAT with the family they have a 10 year old and an 13 year old he loves them. I really need to look into a trainer that would be the best thing in mind. I know pits should not be human aggressive and i don't understand what happened if i did something wrong down the line... I tried to socialize him to the best of my ability even having children giving him treats and him licking them... I feel terrible

Well by you socializing him it sounds like you did right by him. However, if his parents were HA then chances are it is a genetic trait that should have never been bred in the first place. Backyard breeders are the ones ruining this breed. Is your boy neutered?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah backyard breeders are ruining it. My boyfriend didn't know better he doesn't really know the difference between a reputable breeder and a backyard breeder. I just spoke with a dog trainer that i'm pretty sure can help. All i need to do is get the fee to pay and he'll evaluate the dog. He was featured in a news article and also saw him in a ceaser milan episode so i'm guessing he's good.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
just make sure he has experience with THIS breed, some are anti "pit bulls" so find one who will evaluate fairly. I would get rid of the harness and look at a martingale collar or choke chain instead for walking. The harness will let him pull not much to do to stop him in that. The way you said he used to growl and move away from people that almost sounds more fear and this could be fear aggression which may be able to be worked out, however hearing his parents were mean its hard to rule out genetics here as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Yeah backyard breeders are ruining it. My boyfriend didn't know better he doesn't really know the difference between a reputable breeder and a backyard breeder. I just spoke with a dog trainer that i'm pretty sure can help. All i need to do is get the fee to pay and he'll evaluate the dog. He was featured in a news article and also saw him in a ceaser milan episode so i'm guessing he's good.
I am not a fan of Cesar Milan or his teachings. He doesn't evaluate a dog as an individual, he treats them all the same. You need someone who is willing to work with you and your dog, not just try and make an alpha dog submit. Just be careful in who you hire. Does you have a link to his website by chance?

Fear aggression can be manages as well but you need to have time and patience to figure out what triggers are and how to avoid them, for the best possible outcome you would then introduce those fears slowly giving your pup time to adjust.

Is your boy neutered? Its does not correct the issue, but it does help the dog be able to focus easier on one thing than always having the distraction of wanting to find a bitch while you are out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He doesn't have a website but some videos of him on youtube that he linked me to of dogs he trained. Hopefully its just fear aggression because if he cant be fixed i'll have to make a big decision me and my bf plan on getting married and having kids but if he is full blown HA i have no choice to put him down :'( Lets just hope he can be fixed.

The video is crappy but my bf's little sister likes to make videos and put them on my account thats when he was a baby playing with kittens. As for the choke chain i've been meaning to get one.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Is your boy neutered? Its does not correct the issue, but it does help the dog be able to focus easier on one thing than always having the distraction of wanting to find a bitch while you are out.
I've asked twice and didn't get an answer so I am assuming he's not. It does help aggression to a point because as I said once he hits maturity at 2 or 3 years of age he could could get a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I forgot to add that. I would like him to be nuetered since AZ has free Pitbull nuetering. But my boyfriend says it will hurt his manhood.. and it will stop the need for marking right? Well not stop it completely. Sorry i didn't answer your question

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I forgot to add that. I would like him to be nuetered since AZ has free Pitbull nuetering. But my boyfriend says it will hurt his manhood.. and it will stop the need for marking right? Well not stop it completely. Sorry i didn't answer your question
Typical man.....he needs to put his feelings aside and do what's best for the dog. Geez, your BF isn't getting neutered...the dog is, and seeing where he is human aggressive his manhood can get him into more trouble with the testosterone in his body than anything. No, it won't stop him marking because a dog cocking it's leg is normal as they mature...for most males anyways. however, it will make him more content and he won't go crazy when he smells a female in heat for up to two miles away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep most men don't like their dogs nutless. But i know it will improve his behavior.. I really really love this dog with all my heart. I hope this problem can be solved

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Yep most men don't like their dogs nutless. But i know it will improve his behavior.. I really really love this dog with all my heart. I hope this problem can be solved
Well, I wish you luck with him :) Talk to your BF about doing what is best for him by neutering him and tell him what you learned here about his potential to be more aggressive as he hits maturity. I think by neutering him and training with a professional trainer you might have a chance to save him. Keep us posted on his progress.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Typical man.....he needs to put his feelings aside and do what's best for the dog. Geez, your BF isn't getting neutered...the dog is, and seeing where he is human aggressive his manhood can get him into more trouble with the testosterone in his body than anything. No, it won't stop him marking because a dog cocking it's leg is normal as they mature...for most males anyways. however, it will make him more content and he won't go crazy when he smells a female in heat for up to two miles away.
Yeah dont understand why most men have issues with it, so weird to me, but yet I am not a man and they are weird anyway... lol

Pre-neuter my boy lifted his leg on average every 20-30 feet when we were walking. So it felt like 50 times in a few miles of walking, slowed me down and really, half the time nothing would come out cause it was used up, lol. After neuter maybe 3 times in 3 miles...

Now a lot of people say with proper training the same thing could occur, but in my neighborhood there were a lot of people interested in my boy and I knew once he was fixed the risk of theft would go down tremendously. Also, his focus went from having to call him inside from the back yard it would take forever for him to actually HEAR me through his focus. Once he heard me he would listen, but getting him to hear other things and not be so intent on what he was focus on, improved 100% post neuter.

Again, all of this could be corrected with training, but I found the side effects great. I neutered my boy due to the possible cancer risk (that is also debatable) figure why not give him the best I possible could and since I would never breed him, off they went.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts