Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi GoPitbull.com!

My name is Aaron, I am looking into getting a pitbull, partially for my self, but partially for my dog (beagle/hound mix) He's around 7, and we are interested in getting him a buddy. I am looking into getting a pit of any age, adopting it from a local shelter.

I've been looking at stickies, interesting stuff, some that I know, some that I don't. Any tips on training a dog to be a good companion, chill with our other dog, etc.?

Thanks a lot!!!!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Well I hate to start off on a bad note, but Pit Bulls are not a dog friendly breed. Being as they where bred for the purpose of dog fighting they tend to be dog aggressive even thought they are not bred for that purpose any more. The trait is still in the breed. I would look at getting your dog another beagle or breed of dog that is not Dog Aggressive.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Well I hate to start off on a bad note, but Pit Bulls are not a dog friendly breed. Being as they where bred for the purpose of dog fighting they tend to be dog aggressive even thought they are not bred for that purpose any more. The trait is still in the breed. I would look at getting your dog another beagle or breed of dog that is not Dog Aggressive.
:goodpost:
glad you joined the site before getting a pup , this way you can learn all the facts before jumping in and being dissapointed later on :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Hi GoPitbull.com!

My name is Aaron, I am looking into getting a pitbull, partially for my self, but partially for my dog (beagle/hound mix) He's around 7, and we are interested in getting him a buddy. I am looking into getting a pit of any age, adopting it from a local shelter.

I've been looking at stickies, interesting stuff, some that I know, some that I don't. Any tips on training a dog to be a good companion, chill with our other dog, etc.?

Thanks a lot!!!!
APBTs are in no shape or form a dog that needs a buddy.. Much less would you want this breed for the purpose of being friendly towards your hound. Going to shelters is a great way to find a pet, majority of these dogs are going to be mixes of the breed, there are purebred dogs at the shelter however unless a ped in some form or another was also found/surrendered with the said dog it will be an unknown as to what the dog actually is. Keep in mind mixes can mimic purebred dogs, doesn't mean that _____ mix is that bred..

Also, given the history and how these dogs are meant to be.. These dogs are not for a novice. I urge you to look through the form and ask plenty of questions before jumping in, even mixes of the breed can be highly DA, have lots of drive or be a hyper dog requiring plenty of time and dedication ensuring that energy can be channeled and the dog can be exercised accordingly..

Most shelter dogs end up being fantastic pets, toward both human and other animals.. Just don't make the mistake of trusting that dog if you do suspect APBT, American Bully, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, etc... All these breeds fall under "Pit Bull" (even though theres just one and thats the APBT) and all can have DA on many levels ranging from fairly low to very high of the spectrum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read about the DA, but the hound would be at the house all day while the pit would be at work. All of the time that the dogs were together they would be within 100 feet of me, or my close family.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Any thoughts?

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
alot can happen when the dogs 10 feet away let alone 100 ft... dont think this is the breed for you at the moment.

Pit Bull is a fighting dog bred down from many generations of fighting dogs to even consider raising one of these dogs as a pet you must understand this and accept it-even if you are totally opposed to dog fighting. No matter how you raise this dog he will still be a Pit Bull not a golden retriever!
i seen 2 dogs fight that had coexisted as best friends for years according to their owner. you dont want to come home to a dead hound. no dog ever died from not having a dog friend... EVER. this goes for any breed.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!Kudos to you for trying to gain some knowledge before jumping on in.
Pretty much what everyone has said is good,so I'll just add this little bit.Can an apbt and another dog co exist together without anything bad ever happening?I'm sure that maybe there have been instances when they have.But just know that that DA trait is always there and will probably show it's head at some point.
I'll tell you about mine as an example.My oldest dog Pretty girl is almost 5 yrs old and has always loved being around other dogs and other animals,up until the other day.She was outside running and playing with our male who she's been around no problem for over a yr now.I guess he did something that she didn't like and that's all it took for her to want to jump on him.And she has acted this way towards our other female.She's one way one minute and then another way the next minute.Thank goodness I was right there and that I know better than to leave the dogs alone unsupervised so I could put a stop to it before it actually began and turned bad.
I guess the point I'm trying to make in a very long way,lol,is that you can never trust them not to fight.So if you're wanting a buddy for your other dog then maybe you should look towards another breed.
Again welcome to the forum and any questions you may have feel free to ask us.:) wouldn't mind seeing pics of your beagle,they are some of the cutest dogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright guys, I have decided against getting a pitbull, for the good of my dog, and the good of the pitbull breed. I really do love pits leading me not to want to work against their rise in "acceptability".

I'm curious though, what do you guys think of an AmStaff/Lab?

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
I had an English Bulldog. He would not hurt a fly. I remember a little yappy dog at a park once snapped at him and he totally played possum and lied sideways on the floor lol

They just need a daily wiping of their wrinkles :)

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
still wouldnt do it... though the amstaff doesnt have as much drive i'd still worry about possible da...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts