Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How has everyone been? Been a few months since I've been on. I'll have to sift through the posts and see what I have missed!!

Anyway, we have a new little buddy coming home next week! I am super exited, but I am NOT exited about potty training him. I've done quite a bit of breed research (min pin) and it seems like I am going to have a bit of a challenge in the house training department. I do hope I have an exception, but I am not holding my breath. I was curious to see if anyone had any tricks to help aid a stubborn dog in house training. A crate is a must, but I am on the rope on the puppy pad issue. If he is going to have an accident in the house, I'd rather it be on the pad. I was thinking that on the days I will be at class for 5-6 hours I could take his little tie out and tie him up in the laundry room with his bed and a pee pad and water, so when he has to inevitably go, he can use the puppy pad instead of the crate. What do you think? I'm hoping Trance will be able to show him the ropes a little bit also...

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
OMG hes sooo cute! I would love one but I am surprised Francis ( My Chihuahua ) does so well with the big dogs lol. I just love how they look like they are Mini Dobies. Funny that they came before the Doberman.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
humm they are hard to train? Copper my aunt is the smartest little dog i know, he was potty trained within the week when we got him at 7 weeks old, i say just use the crate and treat him like any other dog not a baby that need catered to
good luck
i wanna see more pics!! =)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Congrats GTR ;) looking forward to more pictures!! And good luck with potty training I got my own adventure with that starting next week :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aireal, that's good! That gives me hope!

AP13, yeah they are cuties, fireball cuties. Probably why I like them. I got the whole "you're gonna get a whaaat?!" all over again when I said I was getting a Min Pin, same as back in day when I got my first APBT, LOL

PMP, my camera is broken D:

But, I will take pics with the phone heh. Good luck on your potty adventures, may the dog god pass grace in our favor, LOL

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
OMG Nikki how the heck are you? It's been a while. That is one uber cute pup. He's freakin adorable. Love him :love:
How's the rest of the pack doing?

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Aireal, that's good! That gives me hope!
truthfully i wouldn't worry to much about it, Copper (min pin) is one of the smartest dogs i know, he is that good potty trained too, as in if he goes out and is just sniffing and lollie gaging around and you call him to come back in he quick pees poops if he has to then comes a running as fast as he can :woof:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
What a cutie! I think a lot of the trouble people have with house training little dogs is that they spoil them, after all, people are more tolerant of cleaning little messes than huge ones. If you treat him like any other big dog, he should train pretty quickly, they are a pretty smart small breed.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Nikki!!! OMG, You've been AWOL for quite some time!! All I can say is he's definitely got some growing to do.. lol... look at those radar ears! Picking up the news in China, lol.. j/k... he's adorable! I vote use the crate and train him just as you would an APBT pup. You'll get him trained with no problems, I'm sure. We've been missing you woman! You need to come around more often! Can't wait til you get your camera fixed, or get a new one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the comforting words, haha. I agree that a lot of the small dog syndrome stuff is completely avoidable. I haven't owned a small dog since I was 5. I do have a certain affinity for misunderstood breeds, large or small, and for the most part a dog is a dog is a dog! All dogs like leadership!

I just can't wait to go grab him. They are so feisty! I had thought about go getting a well bred APBT, but holy hell they are a lot of work! I opted for something with the same intensity but in a smaller, more manageable package, LOL

I am hoping to go pick him up Monday...and I have yet decided on a name...I have a few things in mind. But nothing for sure yet. I am really leaning towards "Raider".

-And yes, I LOVE HIS EARSH!! He looks like a little jackal, I just eat it up. I actually prefer Min Pins with sharp natural ears natural. I don't care so much for natural ears that are rounded, but they are still cute.

I have A LOT of catching up to do, so here I go!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Aww

I am new to this forum and also a new APBT owner, I have been around the breed for a while and always loved and wanted one. I finally bit the bullet and got my beautiful girl. I may be new to the APBT but I have a history with the little devil " as you put it" lol. I currently have a 1year old Black and Rust Min Pin and I am still fighting with potty training. He does great for awhile and then bam, he gets sidetracked. They are one of the biggest dogs trapped in a little body I have ever met!! :woof:. I thinks our problem has alot to do with the change in our lifestyle. A week after we got him, my husband was called to work in Montana for 3 weeks so I tagged along and my sister kept him, when we got home I had to rebond with him, got him potty trained and now we are sidetracked again becuase I was a stay at home mom and recently went back to work so now it was another change but hopefully with patience we can overcome this little poblem with my little devil :angeldevi

·
Registered
154 Posts
Agreed with a lot of the other people =)
Treat him like how people here would treat an APBT and you're dog will be A-Okay

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's here now! I LOVE HIM! Such a cute and hilarious little dog! Lots of love to give and even more energy! He hasn't been nearly as much as a challenge as I had thought. Probably because I am a seasoned dog person, but I can definitely see where this breed can cause big problems for people without a super clear idea about the "how and why" of dogs. I can see where a lot of issues can get way out of control if not dealt with immediately and consistently- as is true with most dogs though, specially small ones! He has done great with crate training and no accidents yet thanks to my keen eye and the fact that he spins5 or 6 times before pooping, LOL makes it really easy to catch him. ;P

He is WAY smaller than I imagined. Him and Trance are super cute together. I will post up some pics in a while when I have a cell phone camera to work with.

Here are a couple of shots from the ride home. ^.^ I need video though, this little guy is hilarious.

Meet "Panzer" !!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Aw! Too cute! Love the Collar! Bet it matches his attitude ;) Can't wait to see the pictures :)

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
LMAO is that like pink panzor like the band :D Tiva is so sweet and knows training commands right off the bat :) S he is going to make a great show dog :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts