Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!!! So excited to be a part of the community!! My Deizel is a little over 6 and was my first born...till i had my daughter 2 years ago :) Well here are my 2 issues.

#1. He has recently developed this dry flaky and stinky patch on his back with bumps all over. Not like his normal bumps he gets 2xs a year. The vet said to give him zyrtec (cause hes 102lbs and it would take way more benedryl) not really doing anything. he actually didnt get these bumps till i put Frontline on him a month or so ago. I saw some threads on using tea tree oil shampoo so I think i am going to try that and make an oatmeal, tea tree oil and olive oil paste for his back and just apply it to help soothe it. i normally feed him atleast a raw egg yolk once a week but even that isnt helping. I have just recently started feeding him yougurt and that has helped with yeast, but his bumps are still there and the flakey is really bothering him :(
Oh and he doesnt have fleas either but i will be trying the brewers yeast and garlic pills that were suggested on another thread. I am more about the natural ways to fixing him and his skin. The cephlex is an ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT! Plus is makes him throw up all over the house :(

#2 How do i raw feed him? or cook for him? What kind of raw meat do i feed him and how much? How do i know that he is getting the right nutrients that he need.... especially at 102lbs?

Thanks in advance you guys and I am so excited I came across this page!!

Erin Heaps:)
and Deizel

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
for the raw I follow this guideline , not sure if your asking how to feed raw ? or if you are just wanting to offer it as a treat , if its just a treat I would stick to raw meaty bones you can get at the butcher we usually give them beef knuckles or buffalo { they are raw no need to cook. } but here is the link to the raw diet and how to get started if you want to switch How to Get Started | Prey Model Raw . Sounds like maybe a food allergy going on? what do you feed right now? you may want to add a fish oil as well to help the skin. Any brand works I just get whats on sale and 1-2 pills a day . you can get the liquid form as well and it has a pump and just squirt it on the food.
also on the egg thing heres a thread where pitbullmama explains about eggs and how the egg shell is a better option to feed vs the egg yolk / white. http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/36624-giving-my-puppy-egg-her-coat.html

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hi and Welcome!! I am ALL about natural for my dog and use as little pesticides and chemicals as I can. I never use any of those flea oils frontline, K9 advantix, etc. Anything you put on your animals that will kill little insects that can get on them I question. I don't have flea issues around where I live and we don't go in the woods....I also live in the city so I don't have a need to use those sort of things. My pets are also house pets. What do you feed your dog for food? I see you want to try raw? Have you ever tried a grain free kibble? Anyways, try Nu-stock for the missing hair and skin issues. My girl recently went through an episode of red mange and between the all natural mange shampoo I got and the Nustock after a little over a week she looks amazing. Here are the links :)

Nu-Stock - Topical treatment for Horses, Dogs, and Cattle

VETiONX® Derma-IonX? - Pet Skin Care Formula Relieves Itching, Redness, & Inflammation Naturally

·
Banned
44 Posts
A few people told me to try Nustock on Ariya when she had a small patch of hair missing. Within the month the hair had grown back so I would also reccomend Nustock.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Normally you feed appox 2-3% of your dogs body weight for raw food, so you would need approx 2.04 lb 1 time(s) per day (You can also split that up into 2 feeding if it's easier.)

I also LOVED Nu Stock my girl chomped her tail often when she was crated as a pup so she developed a bald spot on her tail that refused to grow back on it's own I thought I was screwed until someone suggested Nu Stock and it worked great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts