Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say to the Admins, thanks. And sorry for starting a new thread that may seem like other threads.

My concern is my 1.5 year old pit mix. She's a really good dog for me, really smart. No trouble at all. I made the mistake of watching youtube videos that were not pit friendly. Specifically the one where the 14 month old was attacked while in a baby sitters arms. One of the offending dogs is very similar to my Abby. This put a doubt in my mind about her. Her treat is a pork bone. I gave it to her tonight prior to my 4 year old grandson's arrival. He lives here most of the time, and she is in love with him. But tonight, she growled at him when he petted her while she was chewing the bone. As a test, my daughter also petted her, and she growled, then, finally she did the same with me.

I can reach down and take the bone from her with no objections. So I'm confused. Is she getting aggressive? Is this the beginning of worse behavior? How guarded should I be?

I should state that she talks alot. She hadn't snapped at us, anything other than the gowl. Is she just talking?

Thanks for any insight,

Rus

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Is the dog human aggressive? No, it means they want to keep what they have. It's called resource guarding. It would be best to make a safe space for your dog to enjoy their meals or special treats like bones without interruption from children, and advise that no one is to interfere with the dog in that space.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We came to that conclusion and it's good to have it confirmed. If she wants time to enjoy her bone by herself I'm completely fine with that. She's a great dog other than that causing some concern. Thank you for responding.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Welcome and Ecko has some great advice. On a related topic, I was told to always give dogs beef bones instead of pork or chicken. I believe they will splinter and could poke holes in the dog's insides.

Is that accurate?

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Welcome and Ecko has some great advice. On a related topic, I was told to always give dogs beef bones instead of pork or chicken. I believe they will splinter and could poke holes in the dog's insides.

Is that accurate?
Not if they are raw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts