Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I rescued a puppy from someone on craigslist. We were told that the pups were 7 weeks old, and that they were Shiba Inu mixes... well, upon getting little Boosh home, we gave him a closer inspection and we're thinking that not only is he at least a pit mix, we think he's younger than 7 weeks... what do you guys think? he was the last of a litter of 6 and needed a good home, so even if he is too young, we'll take good care of him. I'm just trying to get an opinion from people who really know the breed.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Looks like 4-5 weeks imo...way too early...
Also...can't really tell on the mix yet...looks kinda furry tho...cute lil pup

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts

to GP!
It's hard to tell for sure especially with him being so tiny. It might become more prominent as he grows we'll jiust have to wait and see; however, he does look really young. You will find these threads helpful, regardless of what type of dog he is.
New puppy owners
How to crate train
Training and socializing
Vaccination Guidelines
Also, please feel free to post any questions you have in the open forum. Someone will be able to help you. Your baby dogs is so cute and little!

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's impossible to know for sure and at this age it's really hard to even guess. Unfortunately, he was separated from mom and pups way too early which means he won't learn a lot of important socialization skills, like bite inhibition. It's important to stay on top of his training and to teach him what he would have learned from mom and pups. These are some great training articles, especially the first one "No Free Lunch": Pit Bull Rescue Central

I would take him to the vet as soon as possible to make sure he doesn't have worms or other health issues. Do NOT believe a BYB if they tell you they dewormed and vaccinated him. It's also important to not take him anywhere until he's finished his vaccines. Puppies that young are at a high risk for Parvo and other diseases.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
oh thats one cute puppy I cant add much to what everyone else has told you already, way to young to leave the parents and hard to tell breed but looks like it will grow up to be a cute dog.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
As said above lol. Welcome :D

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It's impossible to know for sure and at this age it's really hard to even guess. Unfortunately, he was separated from mom and pups way too early which means he won't learn a lot of important socialization skills, like bite inhibition. It's important to stay on top of his training and to teach him what he would have learned from mom and pups. These are some great training articles, especially the first one "No Free Lunch": Pit Bull Rescue Central

I would take him to the vet as soon as possible to make sure he doesn't have worms or other health issues. Do NOT believe a BYB if they tell you they dewormed and vaccinated him. It's also important to not take him anywhere until he's finished his vaccines. Puppies that young are at a high risk for Parvo and other diseases.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
What a cute little pup. It's way to hard to tell right now what he could be mixed with since he is so young. As he grows you should be able to see the feature and structure and that will give you a better guess. Right now he looks to be around 5 weeks maybe younger. Read up on some threads about socializing and bite inhibition. Pups are generally not suppose to leave their mom until about 7-8 weeks IMO. They learn about biting and what is to hard by playing with the mom and rest of the litter, your pup never made it that far so you will have to teach him that yourself. Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to there is lots of info and helpful stuff around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts