Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am the proud new owner of a i would say around a 5 week old pit bull puppy which was found in the trash by daughters!! Its really say how people breed the dogs and treat them so badly anyway i was against keeping the puppy and had plans to take him to the aspca however he has melted our hearts and decided to give him a loving home!! I will be calling my vet asap tomorrow morning for a all over puppy check.. I do have a few questions maybe some one can help me with I do realize he is young but i am stuck between trying to spend time with him as well as keeping him in a closed of area everytime we let him out he just piddles and pooes all over the room so my question is how do we interact with him and keep him from just peeing everywhere:confused:

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Hello all I am the proud new owner of a i would say around a 5 week old pit bull puppy which was found in the trash by daughters!! Its really say how people breed the dogs and treat them so badly anyway i was against keeping the puppy and had plans to take him to the aspca however he has melted our hearts and decided to give him a loving home!! I will be calling my vet asap tomorrow morning for a all over puppy check.. I do have a few questions maybe some one can help me with I do realize he is young but i am stuck between trying to spend time with him as well as keeping him in a closed of area everytime we let him out he just piddles and pooes all over the room so my question is how do we interact with him and keep him from just peeing everywhere:confused:
Welcome and congrats :)

You are going to get nothing but the best advice on this site. So...you are already taking the first step

Just take him out constantly. Ide say every hour or so, or 10 or 20 min after eating or drinking. Also after he's been playing around. Pups get excited when playing and tend to whiz in the blink of an eye.

Keep in mind your pup has a little bladder right now so just watch him close and be proactive about taking him outside to do his deeds.

If he pees or poops in the house...I try to catch him in the act and give him firm no or grunt and immediately take him outside

As your pup gets older he will be able to hold it longer...typically a month old pup is "supposed" to be able to hold up to 2hrs, 2month old up to 3hrs, 3mnth old up to 4hrs...etc but everydog is different. Soon you will figure your pup out

Ps don't 4get to praise him when he does go outside.

Hope this helps..good luck :D

·
Good with tools
9,786 Posts
my pups always seemed to sleep alot so everytime they stirred or started to wake, I grabbed them up and took them out. I also tried to set a schedule so I knew when to expect them to go. you're gunna have accidents so take action immediatly. just stay consistant and positive so the dog responds best and without fear. Its also a great way to start your relationship with your pup

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
agreed with the post above, welcome to the site tons to read and learn here hope you post pictures of your new pup soon :)

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
I highly recommend crate training, it worked wonders on Keira. This is the site I found with the best overview of crate training (saving my fingers from typing it all out!)
How to Crate Train your dog or puppy
I followed those guidelines when training Keira. This was before I found GP though, so someone may be able to make some suggestions. The biggest thing is learning to ignore the cries. If you take him out of the crate because he cries, then you reinforce his behavior by rewarding him (taking him out of the crate). Invest in some puppy pads too!! Keira was able to go 6 hours (over night) without soiling her crate by the time she was 10 weeks old. And praise, praise, praise when he goes outside!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts