Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently fostering a pitbull(Anna) in Houston tx. She came from a local trailer park in Houston and has shown some very aggressive dog2dog behavior. I have gone through dog training classes and actually grew up training sheep dogs, so I know most of the basics of puppy and dog training. My other dog, newfie-lab mix(Zeus), had human and dog food aggression when we first rescued him, and now you can take food out of his mouth. Since the pit only is aggressive to dogs, its not as easy to train since she shows 0 aggression to humans.

She will full on attack a dog who has a treat, is near any food at all, or even if he walks by the fridge or plastic bin that holds the dog food. Ironically the fridge in question only has beer in it, but she is old enough to probably know that is where humans keep food. She will launch in the air and attack Zeus until he submits and then start eating his food, even if she just had her own. She doesnt growl, bark, or even show teeth. She just goes full on attack mode without hesitation. So far i have tried keeping her in the room while Zeus eats, but on a training collar and leash. She will quietly watch him eat sitting by my side, but if she is not on a collar she goes flying in for the kill. There has been some decent bites and scratches from these bouts, but other than this she is like a lazy stoner house cat! She curls up in your lap or sleeps at your feet, and even wrestles and plays with Zeus without any growling or aggression (if theres no food around). She is extremely clumsy and has the perfect personality towards humans, but this dog2dog behavior is a little rough. Luckily Zeus is almost triple her size/weight, so the worst he gets is a scratch or two, but I do worry about other dogs in the future.

She is also aggressive towards the couch and chairs. This is the more growl and posture that falls under "typical alpha" behavior. Im already working on that and feel like I am halfway through the process of minimizing that behavior.

Just from spending some time on this site, and a couple of other pitbull sites, it seems like this behavior is pretty inherit to the breed. Feeding must always be separate and the dogs probably should not be left alone during the day. If I choose to keep her instead of helping her find a new home, should i expect this food dominance to be permanent?

·
Super Moderator
4,656 Posts
You should expect the DA to be permanent.
If you are not prepared to crate and rotate I would suggest either finding her an only pet home, or an experienced crate and rotate family.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
You should expect the DA to be permanent.
If you are not prepared to crate and rotate I would suggest either finding her an only pet home, or an experienced crate and rotate family.
:goodpost:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts