Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get a puppy they said...

Drogo is a 12 weeks old Pit Bull/Bulldog mix (Bullypit); we have only had him a few days...and he is wearing us out. Although my little Drogo is super cute I have concerns...

He sleeps more during the day and becomes hyper and a little aggressive at night. During the day he is an angel pupper, yet at night he is a devil dog! We found out the hard way he has separation anxiety so crate training has been rather....difficult.

We figured seperation would be an immediate issue due to the change in environment. We wanted to also adopt his sister since they were the last two remaining and we didn't want to separate them. Unfortunately, the rescue has rules about adopting litter mates, so we couldn't take her. Drogo has been lonely so it makes his separation anxiety worse. We can't leave his sight without him going into a total meltdown. Right now we have gotten it down to if he knows one of us is around then he's okay, but we all have to work so eventually he's going to be alone...destroying everything in his path in true Dogthraki form.

He drinks more than he eats. It's like he's constantly thirsty. Which means he constantly needs to go out...except for when he's in tantrum mode. In tantrum mode he holds the carpet hostage.

Getting him on a sleep schedule has been creative. In order to keep him quieter I have to sleep in the family room with him. ME...no one else. He doesn't sleep with me, he sleeps in his bed next to the crate, but I have to be in the room or it's hours of beserker tantrum mode until I show up.

Is this normal for pits to behave this way?

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
It is normal for dogs who are babied to behave this way. Not breed specific. If you continue to coddle him, he will have real separation anxiety when he's grown and become destructive. You need to exercise and play with him until he is good and tired. Then put him in the kennel alone and leave him there to work himself out. He'll fall asleep eventually. Continue to do this. Without the baby talk or feeling bad. He will adapt. Albeit noisily at first. But eventually he will be quiet in his kennel. While potty training, you should be regulating his food and water intake to specific times of day so you can take him out after to use the bathroom outside and give positive reinforcement. This is also how you time their bathroom urges around your work schedule. Watch him in the yard for the signs that he is about to go. He start to develop a tell. When you learn that, you can watch for it inside and get him out faster to avoid the messes inside. Until you learn this you should be taking him out every 30-45 minutes. Make an excited big deal about him when he goes potty outside.
It's been only two years since my dog was a puppy. He was hard headed and stubborn. But with a set schedule and routine, he settled in very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
everything that was already said + EXERCISE!
wear his ass out everyday. morning and afternoon if possible. they need it mentally as much as physically.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured he was a little spoiled when the foster cried a little to see him go. But oh my goodness...it's been rough!!! He puts the D in dramatic!!!

We're going to enforce your suggestions. Hopefully he will settle down soon.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
Right now we have gotten it down to if he knows one of us is around then he's okay, but we all have to work so eventually he's going to be alone...destroying everything in his path in true Dogthraki form.
Getting him on a sleep schedule has been creative. In order to keep him quieter I have to sleep in the family room with him. ME...no one else. He doesn't sleep with me, he sleeps in his bed next to the crate, but I have to be in the room or it's hours of beserker tantrum mode until I show up.
First, welcome to GoPitBull stteamfunk22405. The two previous replies offer great advice.
Just in the above Quote it sounds like Drogo is running the show. These dogs are very hard headed and stubborn. You have to be more stubborn then them. At night, put the dog in the crate, lock the door and walk away. No tucking him in or good night hugs. Crate him without a word and walk away. When the wailing starts, ignore it. Don't correct it or try to sooth him , ignore it. The puppy is looking for attention and even hollering at it gives him that. It might take several days but eventually the pup learns that crying, barking or whatever isn't going to work. In the morning, open the crate door and bring him outside to relieve himself. During the day, put him in the crate and walk away. When he is quiet and calms down then go and let him out and praise him. Do this several times a day. Eventually he will get the idea and you will get some sleep. Welcome to puppy world. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
OOHHHH it's a puppy! i should have read more closely.
well then. don't run him up a mountainside.
extended playtime should be sufficient. once his bones and ligaments are strong enough, you can ramp it up slowly.

• Haha
Reactions: jttar
1 - 6 of 6 Posts