Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, i in need of some good help and advice. i was given a pup yesterday by this guy that lives across the street from my job. he was the runt of the litter and the guy said he couldnt afford to have him looked at by a vet. apparently he has been biting and scratching at his tail and supposedly since last week has began to do the same to his back left foot. Also he was bitten by his mother in the face yesterday and you can squeeze puss out of it today. aside from him external problems, he is full of energy and very alert. if you need better pics please let me know and i will post. thank you all in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Btw he said he's been doing this to his tail since birth and no other pup had missing hair

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id go get that pup looked at by a vet the tail and leg can be anything from food allergies , to staff infection to mange will probably need a skin scrape to tell you. the wound is hard to tell but that size on the pup depending how deep may need a stitch or 2 and antibiotics to fight infection aside from the obvious really needs to be cleaned. The pup is all white? I would maybe have the eyes and hearing checked as well to make sure that is all good , white dogs are known to have problems with hearing { not all but some}. Really in my opinion this guy should be reported for animal abuse to allow a dog to be like that without medical attention shouldnt have dogs period. Makes me so mad when people cant afford to do what the dog needs so they suffer instead. I hope your willing to spend the money and have the means to do so cause allergy tests and stuff can get pricey. Im assuming from this guys care , that the pup has no vaccinations done? Id really be wanting to get on that , with no immune system to fight things and now an injury where an infection can occur id be a bit worried. best of luck , would always like to see more pics , really is a sweet lil pup.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Wow, this guy sounds like a piece of work. I am not exactly sure what you are asking but my guess is that this pup has never seen a vet so that should be your first stop. If there is pus in the wound that means infection. On top of that he may have mange (judging by the hair loss).

If you intend to keep him, get him to the vet asap for a general health assessment, shots, deworming and treatment for that wound.

Welcome to GP. The pup is a cutie.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Id go get that pup looked at by a vet the tail and leg can be anything from food allergies , to staff infection to mange will probably need a skin scrape to tell you. the wound is hard to tell but that size on the pup depending how deep may need a stitch or 2 and antibiotics to fight infection aside from the obvious
really needs to be cleaned. The pup is all white? I would maybe have the eyes and hearing checked as well to make sure that is all good , all white dogs are known to have problems with hearing { not all but some}. Really in my opinion this guy should be reported for animal abuse to allow a dog to be like that without medical attention shouldnt have dogs period. Makes me so mad when people cant afford to do what the dog needs so they suffer instead. I hope your willing to spend the money and have the means to do so cause allergy tests and stuff can get pricey. Im assuming from this guys care , that the pup has no vaccinations done? Id really be wanting to get on that , with no immune system to fight things and now an injury where an infection can occur id be a bit worried. best of luck , would always like to see more pics , really is a sweet lil pup.
:goodpost:

Agreed, this guy who gave him the pup is a total pos.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
He might have some type of mite on his skin thats causing his itching around that area. I had the same problem with one of my girls. She kept biting herself in the same spot and would yank her hair and skin out. I applied NU-Stock, and her hair is growing back.

If you have the option of going to the vet, i would do so, as they can perform tests on the puppy.

Its also very sad to see these back yard breeders just breed puppies, but dont bother to treat the puppies when they get sick. Reminds me of this douchebag that gave me a puppy because he didnt want to treat it for parvo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
his eye sight is fine but im not to sure about his hearing because when my other pup was his age and i would whistle, her ears would stick up but his doesnt budge. no he hasnt had any shots or anything but i am giving him his 1st set monday and wormer and i made an app wit the vet but the earliest they had was oct 25 but i am going to just take him tuesday and hope he can be seen. my first thought wit his hair loss was mange which is why i havent brought him home because of my other pup, but im kinda thinking its not because it usually starts in the face right?

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
I would look into a different vet, vets usually schedule appointments with 3-7 days. It can get worse from now until the 25. I would give shots after youve seen the vet.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Poor little dude. Do you have an emergency vet near you? I would say this guy needs care much sooner.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
It usually does start in the face your right but nothing to say it still couldnt be , I wouldnt bring him near your other dog until a vet has looked him over and told you its nothing contagious. if you bring him home makes sure he has his own crate and keep in a seperate part of the house away from your other dog. the deworming I would do every 2 weeks for the 1st couple months atleast , especially since he is starting everything so late. How old is the pup by the way? If the vet cant get you in until the 25th is there another vet you could maybe try? We have like 20 vets within an hour of me but I know thats not always an option with some. what was the guy feeding him do you know? very well could be a food allergy but if he said the pup has been doing this since very young I would think that meant before he weaned the pup off mom ? so then it may not be food related. He got fleas? have you checked for that , itching could be related to that and then maybe if thats the case he has a secondary staph infection as well? if thats the case antibiotics will be needed for that.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Have you ruled out external parasites for the itching? (ie, fleas) Get him on a good food. If you can't get to a specialty store but you have Petsmarts in your area, try something like Blue Buffalo. (Going to a rich food, he may have some diarrhea while you transition him over to it, but give the new food a chance to work its magic.) Add a little bit of olive oil or fish oil to the food; those are good healthy fats and good for the coat. He would probably benefit from a good medicated bath, too. But if you take him to a groomer to have it done, wait for him, don't leave him there. (Some groomers, like the shop I work for, wont take unvaccinated animals unless they're straight in and straight back out while the owner waits.) Be very, very careful about taking him anywhere that other dogs frequent. His immune system is probably compromised and you don't need to add on to that with other problems like Parvo. When you take him to the vet, carry him. Don't put him down on the floor where he's more likely to be exposed to yuckies.

The oil, good food and bath are the only things I can suggest to start. That and find another vet that can see him quickly. The wound on his face is not that horribly bad. Keep it clean and draining. If it scabs over, gross as this sounds, pick the scabs off so the pus can drain. If the vet gives you an antibiotic, make sure you use all of it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a vet and have no training in that field. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told he's only 6 weeks old and should I deworm him now? I have direct access to both vaccines and dewormer because I'm apre vet science major and my schools farm which is where I work has both in stock

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He doesn't have fleas and I am going to feed him what I feed my current pup which is kirkland super premium puppy food

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I believe you can worm puppies as young as 2-3 weeks, so I would say that he can be wormed.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Yes get him wormed now. Worm him again in 3 weeks and then again in 1 month.

You have already gotten the basics of what to do and please up date on this little guy ;)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
his eye sight is fine but im not to sure about his hearing because when my other pup was his age and i would whistle, her ears would stick up but his doesnt budge. QUOTE]

try when he is sleeping and clapping or doing something loud see if he wakes up at all, or come behind him and do something loud see if he turns around? Iknow a few people with deaf dogs { not this breed} but the dogs live a healthy happy normal life, just have to approach things a bit different with them since the obvious "NO" and voice commands wont work. We taught our lab/ rotty mix sign language { he wasnt deaf but my lil cousin was so when we learned we figured we would try some commands with the dogs } he knew alot of things and was really smart with it. could tell him to go find a specific person and he would.
Keep us updated how the pup is doing and post more pics of himI love white dogs.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
his eye sight is fine but im not to sure about his hearing because when my other pup was his age and i would whistle, her ears would stick up but his doesnt budge. no he hasnt had any shots or anything but i am giving him his 1st set monday and wormer and i made an app wit the vet but the earliest they had was oct 25 but i am going to just take him tuesday and hope he can be seen. my first thought wit his hair loss was mange which is why i havent brought him home because of my other pup, but im kinda thinking its not because it usually starts in the face right?
Demodex mange does normally start in the face but sarcoptic mange can start on the underside of the dog but you can get both to pop up in weird places from time to time. Demodex is not contagious but sarcoptic is but it is also contagious to people so you might as well take him home. I would go to a vet and have him looked at since he is so young. Let us know how it goes.
He could be deaf put him in the kitchen and drop a pan lid behind him when he is not looking and see if he startles. Hope he can hear!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
That is a good idea, but I think I would clang the lid against another lid over his head. If you drop it on the floor, he may react to the vibration of it hitting the floor rather than the noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry i havent been giving any updates but i was stupid and jumped the stairs in my building and ran into the ceiling and gave myself a concussion lol...but he goes to the vet tuesday...the farms vet told me to put peroxide and triple antibiotic on him until tuesday and everything seems to be clearing up. and i'll definitely try the pan lid tomorrow also

1 - 20 of 32 Posts