Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a new pup 3 months old well she keeps her tail down and i hate it. On walks it'll go maybe half way up unless super excited. As far as roaming the house it stays tucked between her legs. Always had alert and perky tail dogs. Can anyone help. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
There are several reasons for a puppy or a dog to tuck tail. Some would be showing submission, fear, uncertainty or just plain old stress. If the dog is afraid of you or it's environment you need to comfort the dog and assure it that it is safe. Dogs are like people, some crave adventure and are bold and brave while others are more timid and are easily startled by new surroundings, loud noises etc.
You didn't say how long you have had the tree month old dog but it may just need to adjust to it's new home. when a dog is re-homed or removed from it's pack it is traumatic for them and it takes some time for them to understand that this is their new pack. My advice would be to keep the dog in a safe and familiar environment and to give it some time to adjust. Best of luck.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
I've had her for about 5 weeks
Like I said, reassure her and give her some time to feel safe and comfortable. Three weeks isn't that long of a time. It takes some dogs longer to adjust. What is the pups previous life been like, has it been abused mentally or physically?

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Like I said, reassure her and give her some time to feel safe and comfortable. Three weeks isn't that long of a time. It takes some dogs longer to adjust. What is the pups previous life been like, has it been abused mentally or physically?

Joe
Joe has a little trouble with his reading of numbers sometimes! :roll:

Regardless, if she's 3 months (roughly 12 weeks) and you've had her for 5, chances are you may have gotten this pup too young which could be part of the issue. Everything else Joe said is right on point. She's very young and it's likely she's just having some trouble getting adjusted. Give her time, take it slow and make sure you're not reinforcing her fear. Act happy and normal around her, treat her when she does good things and don't give her MORE attention when she's acting fearful; just proceed as normal like nothing is wrong. If you give more attention when fearful you're actually just reinforcing that fear response and she will learn acting scared = getting positive attention. An example is my Ciara. Like many dogs, she's terrified of thunderstorms so at around 0330 this am when the storm hit I found her trying to crawl inside my quivering like a scared child. It would have been SO much easier to curl up around here, cuddle, love her, and go back to sleep but that's no good for Ciara. She's older, just about 9, and we're not going to break that fear at this point but there is still no reason to reinforce it. So out of bed I get, down the basement we went, her whimpering and quivering the whole way, until I could distract her an old tennis ball. We didn't get into a whole lot of games but she likes to run around with tennis balls in her mouth and I pretend I'm going to grab her when she runs by. It distracts her from what she's afraid of and gives her away to release all that pent up nervous energy. 30-45 mins later she was resting and cooling down on the sofa and I was up for the day.

I hope you understand. Basically, ignore/distract fear; praise/treat anything positive. And patience, lots and lots of patience. I'm sure she will eventually settle in just take it slow and at her pace and don't push.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

~Jess:pup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts