Go Pitbull Forums banner

New Puppy Training

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  deliriouscook 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just got my first little pit bull puppy and have put litterally every ounce of effort into training her. She is doing great, she is 11 weeks old and for the most part (besides distractions and bordem) she already knows sit, lay down, come, stay, leave it and out. While all this is great I want some advance stuff to teach her and I wanted to know should my focus be on pounding the basics right now and when she gets those down move to more advance stuff or try and hope I dont overload her or stray away to much on one other technique and possibly not get the full result of the must have commands.

Any help would be great and if you have any stories or tips that you tought your pit and what age time frame and how you did it would be great.

Thanks...

#3 ·
Well not per say right now but start working other little fun tricks in the mix. When would you say to start adding? I guess was my main question sorry for the confusion lol I'm not trying to make her into a super puppy or anything

#4 ·
At this point I wouldn't be adding anything. Keep working with the basics and solidifying them. It's hard to believe that an 11 week old pup would be completely trained with all the commands that you mentioned, they have very short attention spans. I wouldn't overload at this point. If your dog has already learned all of those commands then that's awesome and you're doing a great job, just keep at it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 · (Edited)
once your dog learns what you want and gets it right 9 out of 10 times, go outside with distractions and if they get it right 9 out of 10 times, move onto another trick.

There are tons of things you can do. After Sit, Lay, High Five, Stay, come (a successful recall is key) start working on LOOK, have the dog look in your eyes for the reward. You can teach "touch" where the dog touches what you want. Sit Pretty. I taught my dog dead dog for my friends birthday one year lol

good luck! and take some videos I would love to see :)

#7 ·
You can start adding in some simple tricks, but I would also put allot of energy into reinforcing the basics and practicing in different environments and practicing around varying levels of distractions and also working with the basics and distance and duration. Especially stay and recall. I would do ALLOT of focus work around distractions and in different environments

(Don't forget your cute little pup will one day be an adolescent who will look at you and say "What? I don't recall you teaching me that. Later dude there's a chipmonk over there" :D)

I agree with Ames teaching a "look" or "watch me" is very helpful as is touch. I would also teach a general "target" which is a touch to which ever object is the target. As you move forward with training you can use the target to teach allot of other things. Teach not just target with nose, but with paw(s), chin and if you are feeling ambitious other body parts as well.

#8 ·
Hi, i do like this thread so much. It reminds me of my dog who just recently passed away. When he was younger, I tried to do a basic trying which my brother taught me to do. When he was about to eat, I ask her to stay and learn to wait quietly until I told him to eat. I have been doing this with a motivation of giving him an additional food as a reward. I think, this is the best way to initiate obedience training to them. It is through motivation and rewards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.