Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one will take effect next month.

* Please do not include superfluous information (pedigree, weight, website, etc.) in your entry in an attempt to gain more favor for your dog. Only post your dog's name (and age for the puppy category). Ideally, your entry should look like this: So-and-So's Doggie That will make it very easy for the mod who runs the contest to copy and paste.
This is basically to level the playing field as much as possible. For example, the disadvantage of dogs of unknown history competing against dogs with impressive pedigrees. We don't need to know your dog's weight, pedigree, etc. In the puppy contest, yes, we do need you to post your dog's age so we can make sure they're young enough. (This is as much to help you remember the 12 month cutoff as it is to help us enforce the rules.)

We absolutely love people who make their entries like this:

Bahamutt99's Terra
[picture]

...because then we can just copy and paste your entry into the voting thread, and it saves us a little work. Y'all know who you are, and you get a big :clap: from me.

Anyway, keep up the good work and good entries, all. :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My personal decision was that folks worry entirely too much over entirely too little. But as far as a board decision, I don't know if a consensus was ever reached. Voting among the staff was a deadlock. Voting among the members showed a majority wanted only current pups entered, but there was significant resistance to the idea, too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would go as far as say that 12mo is kinda old for a "puppy" contest. 6 or 8mo might be a better cut off as dogs over 6 mo lose the puppy look and could well compete for Male/Female o' the month

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
yea i second that, i look at a 1 yr. old pup as a grown dog, i would say the cut off should be either 6 or 8 mths as well..

and i also like the idea of having only current pups able to be entered, or only current for that age group...etc..etc...

the rest sounds good on this end guys...

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That isa fine idea Gnarly. Your right those older pups could be in the adult catagories. I don't know I thought that since the majority of form members wanted crrent ppies only we should go with that. I mean what was the since of asking everyone if we were not going to follow through with what you voted on. JMO

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I still think it's pointless for an Internet contest to limit it. I still say that saying only "current" puppies encourages people to constantly be getting new puppies and will, for those people who don't have the means or desire to get a puppy every year or six months or whatever.

Come on people, it's for FUN.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Go to a dog show with a 6-11 month old dog, and you'll be competing in the puppy classes. We don't need to go changing the definition of puppy because some folks think that the older puppies aren't puppies. That's not fair. Folks who feed puppy food, you don't switch your dog to an adult grub at 6 months of age. You don't go weight pulling them, or breeding them, or doing anything else intensive with them because they are still puppies. Come on now. Not all dogs look like miniature adults at 6-8 months of age.

How many limiters do you guys think we need on these contests? Don't you think this is getting a little ridiculous? If this keeps up, I forsee a future of an insane amount of sub-categories.

* Puppies 0-6 months, male
* Puppies 0-6 months, female - because we don't want boys n' girls having to compete against each other, 'kay?
* Puppies 6-12 months, male
* Puppies 6-12 months, female
* Puppies 12-18 months, male - because they really aren't mature after 12, right?
* Puppies 12-18 months, female
* Males
* Females
* Show dog males - because we don't want to put the "regular" males at a disadvantage
* Show dog females
* Working dogs - because we don't want to put any bred-for-performance dogs up against any bred-for-pretties dogs, since after all they are ugly but they work, and are therefore in a rank all their own.
* Geriatrics - because once they get too old, they shouldn't have to compete with the young bucks
* Old pics, puppies - because we don't want past pups competing with present pups
* Old pics, dogs - because it's not fair for a dog who died to compete with a dog still alive. I mean, the picture was a friggin' Polaroid, and nothing like the top-quality digital cameras of today!
* Pets, dogs
* Pets, other - because you just can't judge a snake against a fluffy puppy
* Pets, Pit Bulls - because you can't judge a Pit Bull against a fluffy puppy
* Pets, intact dogs - because it's my right to keep my dog's nuts, but he's my precious pet, so I want to compete in this category

(And each category has 1-2 entries, so you're almost guaranteed to win. Woo hoo!)

I'm being very facetious here, but there is a kernel of truth. Nobody's thanking the mods who are doing the pain-in-the-ass job of running the photo contest, but everybody is complaining because they want to see more limitations. C'mon folks! It's for fun!

Reactions: buzhunter

·
Inactive Member!
531 Posts
Yes, puppies are puppies til 1 year by definition. It is just a photo contest.:goodpost:

Stephanie

·
Registered
426 Posts
Go to a dog show with a 6-11 month old dog, and you'll be competing in the puppy classes. We don't need to go changing the definition of puppy because some folks think that the older puppies aren't puppies. That's not fair. Folks who feed puppy food, you don't switch your dog to an adult grub at 6 months of age. You don't go weight pulling them, or breeding them, or doing anything else intensive with them because they are still puppies. Come on now. Not all dogs look like miniature adults at 6-8 months of age.

How many limiters do you guys think we need on these contests? Don't you think this is getting a little ridiculous? If this keeps up, I forsee a future of an insane amount of sub-categories.

* Puppies 0-6 months, male
* Puppies 0-6 months, female - because we don't want boys n' girls having to compete against each other, 'kay?
* Puppies 6-12 months, male
* Puppies 6-12 months, female
* Puppies 12-18 months, male - because they really aren't mature after 12, right?
* Puppies 12-18 months, female
* Males
* Females
* Show dog males - because we don't want to put the "regular" males at a disadvantage
* Show dog females
* Working dogs - because we don't want to put any bred-for-performance dogs up against any bred-for-pretties dogs, since after all they are ugly but they work, and are therefore in a rank all their own.
* Geriatrics - because once they get too old, they shouldn't have to compete with the young bucks
* Old pics, puppies - because we don't want past pups competing with present pups
* Old pics, dogs - because it's not fair for a dog who died to compete with a dog still alive. I mean, the picture was a friggin' Polaroid, and nothing like the top-quality digital cameras of today!
* Pets, dogs
* Pets, other - because you just can't judge a snake against a fluffy puppy
* Pets, Pit Bulls - because you can't judge a Pit Bull against a fluffy puppy
* Pets, intact dogs - because it's my right to keep my dog's nuts, but he's my precious pet, so I want to compete in this category

(And each category has 1-2 entries, so you're almost guaranteed to win. Woo hoo!)

I'm being very facetious here, but there is a kernel of truth. Nobody's thanking the mods who are doing the pain-in-the-ass job of running the photo contest, but everybody is complaining because they want to see more limitations. C'mon folks! It's for fun!
the rules are starting to become a joke thought this was a fun thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts