Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am working 4pm-12am now. Do you feed your pup once a day or twice a day? Day 2 of the new schedule and I came home to this:

lol basically every food product was torn from the recycle bin. Hungry much??

We get up around 11am, a cup and a half of kibbles, few miles of walking, home to play for a bit, walk again and I then give him another cup and a half of kibbles when I get home and another mile walk and play til bed around 3am.

Do I give him all 3 cups in the morning? Or stick to the new schedule, keeping 2 times a day and hope he gets used to it???

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
we feed once a day in the evening... i would probly start feeding before you leave for work.. i would definately start crating him before he eats something that will hurt him!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. i will try that for a few days and see how it goes. He doesn't eat the stuff just chews and rips it up. I have moved the recycle bin out of the hallway though. He doesn't get into anything else, and hasn't had an incident since he was about 6 months old and I lost 2 ps3 remotes and a wiimote.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Yeah Ames. I think a crate is in order to keep mr. Gargamel out of trouble LMAO!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOL big reason I crate ,loki is the worst though and we do leave him out occassionally when we go out for short periods of time, until he reminds us why we dont leave him out lol { he gets into garbage and stuff like that} . we try and make sure everything is put up before we leave but on occassion we forget lol. crates work wonders though lol , i have a lot more furniture now because we use them then I would if we didnt :S lol.
I dont think I would feed more in the morning , more food more energy i think lol , I would just up the exercise in the morning or up the activity level maybe a run or game of fetch rather then just walking, and leaving things to amuse him around the house if you are gonna leave him out like good bones from the butcher, kongs stuffed with things, ect. JMO

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
HAHA, yeah he is just acting up due to the schedule, he has plenty of toys, as you can see he has his ball in the picture lol. I would not crate him again, I used to but he doesn't need it now and never goes in his crate anymore either, been about a year or so since he has even gone in his crate. Its not the paper I care about, more so whats better for him eating wise. If I feed him so close to bed I would think that would be like humans eating close to bed, not very healthy, but don;t know what to try.

and I take him for a walk and then we do spring pole and fetch before I leave. So about 3-4 hours of activity after I feed him in the morning. I am afraid if I work him without food he would be starving by the time I got him to feed him at midnight. But I will try different options when I am back form vacation next week and see how it goes.

He is getting puppy sat while I am on vacation, so who knows how his schedule will be. :)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I think what you are doing is fine. If you dont mind the mess then I wouldnt crate hm either. Mikado was never crated but Miss V she goes in.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Ive Always crated until their Adults, ussualy by that point i leave the crate Door open and they go in by themselves and come out to eat/drink as they want. But that has never been until there like 2 yrs old. All my Dogs have seemed to have a Fasination w/underwear, lol.. My wife would come home to Crotchless panties, LMBO, So ive never had to Buy any..hahahahahahaha

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha. Mel was crated when alone for about a year. Since then he has had the option but prefers his bed.

Good news! No drama, no issues when I got home last night lol thank goodness.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Yeh, I think it sounds more like an adjustment to the new schedule than him actually being hungry. If you don't mind the destruction for a while then I guess he'll get used to it.

Personally, I'd crate him but it's not my house. Glad to see there were no more dramas last night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts