Go Pitbull Forums banner

New to pitbulls.. New training tips

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  EckoMac 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone new the forum. My wife the other day saved 4 pitbull mixed puppies. We believe they are mixed with lab.
The neighbors were seen abusing them and then told her they were going to put them down.
We found a home for the boy. My parents are keeping a female as well as their other dog which is a hound dog. We are keeping a female. We have one more female that we may or may not keep.
The one we are for sure keeping loves to chase my dog around and try to play with her.
Right now all 5 dogs are staying with my parents. My wife and I are closing in a house and can't have dogs at our apartment.
My dog I have is a mut. We know she is part chow and the rest we are not sure. She is not a dominant dog, she loves to play fight, and play catch. When she sees dogs she is not familiar with she runs and backs up scared. Even of the little puppies! She is 3 1/2 years old.
I am concerned with how to prevent one thing from happening.
Let me be clear so I don't defend anyone! I love all dogs, pit bulls, American bullies, German Shepards, muts, labs, blue heelers.. I am a firm believer that a dogs behavior is based on how it is raised along with its breed.
I have heard stories of pit bulls killing the other household pets( pit bull or not). Even if the pit bull was normally very sweet and gentle. The owner will come home to the other dog killed. These are stories I have heard personally and online.
How many have you experienced this and how concerned should I be? What are some training tips and overall lifestyle tips to prevent this? Any advise will be appreciated. I love these dogs and want them to get along and live long lives
I do plan having them inside/outdoor dogs. Sleeping indoors, outdoors during the day, the amount would vary on whether. I live in Texas
The picture is of my dog and the puppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Crate train the pup and put chain spots in your yard so the dogs can't interact unsupervised. Have a break/parting stick on hand when they aren't separated.
Dog aggression and prey drive are very real things that are quite common in bull breeds. Some are selective, some never have an issue, but it is always better to be safe then sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.