Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks now, and I am happy to have found this place.

My fiancé had a dog of unknown heritage when I met him. He found her and her siblings as tiny puppies under a church when he was doing some work there. He never saw Momma the days he was working there, so he brought one puppy home and tried to find good homes for the others. He believes she was part “pit bull”.

A year ago, we came across a young pit bull that was drawn to my fiancé and needed a good home, or she was going to the animal shelter (long story). We brought her home, and fortunately she was very obedient and easy to train. She was no more than a year old when we got her.

The older dog mostly ignored her, and they never fought or anything like that. The new dog seemed to immediately accept that the older dog was the boss, so I’m sure that helped.

The older dog died earlier this year. A couple of months ago, someone I know had a big unplanned litter of puppies with her 2 pits. I know and agree her dogs should have been “fixed” to prevent this, and I do not know what specific breeds, if any, the parents are. She wanted all the puppies GONE asap, so we got one at 6 weeks old, to try to “rescue” it, because she didn’t seem to care where they went as long as they were gone.

Our puppy is 8 weeks old now, and I have a lot of questions. I’ve had dogs for over 40 years and know a good bit about dogs and training them, and I am serious about being a responsible dog owner in addition to providing a good, loving home. But I’ve never had a pit bull, and it is my understanding that my responsibility is even greater with them and they require even more work than I’m use to. I am learning as much as I can, so I joined these forums so I can ask questions and get advice because I want to do right by my dogs and be a good owner.

That is the background lol.

·
Administrator
5,664 Posts
Hello Reesha and welcome to GP. Glad you found us, and we appreciate you taking your responsibility seriously.
Feel free to ask any questions that you can't find the answers to using our search feature.
We all love pictures, and we would enjoy seeing some pictures of your dogs along with their names.
Sorry to hear that your older dog died earlier this year. That is a tough loss, always.

Joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Step one, socialize, socialize, socialize!
Get him used to everything and everyone. Take him anywhere you can, though at this age, you probably just need to carry him around until a second vax.
Start leash training now. I didn't start early enough and with all that strength, Conner's gonna throw my back out! 😁
Can't wait to see a pic!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bzoo! He’s only been to the vet so far, and a few car rides when I was just going through a drive thru. Otherwise, we’ve just been exploring my yard and he’s only met a few people. He has only had his first set of vaccinations, and he had (has?) worms. He goes back in a couple days for a second round of dewormer and vaccinations.

I put a long leash on him when we’re just sitting outside and even in the house. Otherwise, I’m constantly jumping up to stop him from doing something. The leash makes it easy to keep him in eyesight and help teach him to come to me when I tell him to.

I have to figure out how to post pics. I will soon.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BZOO, they both look sad to me in those pictures lol.

The picture of Girl was the day after we brought her home, so she probably was sad and confused about being in yet another home, and had no way of knowing yet that we wanted to give her a good home where she could relax and just be a dog.

Boy, the puppy, when we insist he not bite and chew on this or that (including Girl) and rejects the toys we give him to bite and chew on instead, he does tend to look pitiful lol.

I will give him a good snuggle for you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts