Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am fostering a 9 month old pitbull mix and REALLY want to adopt him. He is the sweetest dog and I am in love. : ) There is just one behavior that is a deal breaker for me and I am not sure what to do. He nips and bites at us. He will jump and nip our hands, arms, clothes, whatever he can. If I can get him to stop when I first see this behavior (within probably 30 seconds) i can calm him down sometimes. He starts with the tail wagging and his front paws down and behind in the air, then barking, then the jumping and biting. I know he only wants to play but this is unacceptable. We've tried getting him by the nape of the neck and putting him in a submissive position, using a can filled with coins, ignoring him and turning our back (which btw just makes it worse), grabbing his snout, yelping, all to no avail. He gets in this "zone" as I call it and doesn't listen to any commands. He is VERY intelligent and has learned sit, paw and stay all in two weeks, but I don't know how to stop this one behavior. Please, any suggestions would be helpful. I really don't want to bring him back to the shelter. Thanks.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hi and welcome :) he is still a pup and it is a playing nibble or a bite? My girl is 7 months and she still tries to get mouthy but she listens when I tell her NO. If you want to keep him I suggest a obedience class asap. He just needs to be taught proper manners and seeing that he has only been with you a short time I would give him a chance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for replying. His biting is just nipping and pulling on me to play. He has never bitten down on anyone. just nipping and pulling. I have been reading alot of posts on here and they have been great. I REALLY want to keep him and I think the training classes are a must asap. I'm really glad to see this is an issue for others as well, it makes me feel at least it's not something I've done. : ) I just need to keep working with him.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
welcome to GP!! its just a puppy thing... hell grow out of it im sure :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts