Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 6 week old pit on Craigslist and I'm not really sure if her blood line is what I was told? I know that buying pets on craigslist is frowned upon, but I am hoping not to be judged too much. I was told that she is American Pit/Blue Bully (mother/father). I was told she may be red though? Here are some pics to help with identification:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/r0ckah0l1c/IMAG1405.jpg http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/r0ckah0l1c/IMAG1438.jpg

I hope I posted all of this correctly! Thank you and I truly appreciate the help :D

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Did you get a pedigree? getting a pup that young is not good for the puppy either. You may have to deal with a lot of behavior problems :(

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not obtain a pedigree because I was more concerned about getting the puppy out of the situation it was in (they had already started feeding them dog food & were serving it with milk, the puppies were being dehydrated and we had to replenish her electrolytes with pedialyte, etc.) She doesn't really have behavior problems other than teething, but that comes with all puppies. We also have a 10 week old blue bully that she tries to mimick in many ways, which helps because he is very well behaved.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I did not obtain a pedigree because I was more concerned about getting the puppy out of the situation it was in (they had already started feeding them dog food & were serving it with milk, the puppies were being dehydrated and we had to replenish her electrolytes with pedialyte, etc.) She doesn't really have behavior problems other than teething, but that comes with all puppies. We also have a 10 week old blue bully that she tries to mimick in many ways, which helps because he is very well behaved.
You wont deal with the bad behaviors now because the dog is only 6 weeks old, the issues will come when the dog starts maturing. The mother teaches the pups bite inhibition and the litermates teach other communication skills. Good job for saving the dog but without a pedigree you will never know what the dog's breed is. Nobody can tell you just by looking at it.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Unless the breeder told you or has papers on his dogs to prove what yours is there is no way of telling lines just by looking at the pup. Poor thing, it looks younger than 6 weeks from the pictures. Only BYB's let pups go at 6 weeks or younger. Sounds like you are taking good care of her though. Good luck with her :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well do you think a behaviorist trainer could help her in the future? We've been taking her to the vet every week just in case a problem shows up due to the situation she was in. And the parents were supposed to be pure bred pits. Her ears seem too small to me though. =/ thank you for the help and advice! This is my first time owning pits after doing a great deal of research, yet I still feel so uneducated about the breed compared to everyone on these boards! I'm sure many of you will school me.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Unless the breeder told you or has papers on his dogs to prove what yours is there is no way of telling lines just by looking at the pup. Poor thing, it looks younger than 6 weeks from the pictures. Only BYB's let pups go at 6 weeks or younger. Sounds like you are taking good care of her though. Good luck with her :)
+1 First thought when I saw the pics was that it looked younger than 6 weeks. Cute pup either way.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Well do you think a behaviorist trainer could help her in the future? We've been taking her to the vet every week just in case a problem shows up due to the situation she was in. And the parents were supposed to be pure bred pits. Her ears seem too small to me though. =/ thank you for the help and advice! This is my first time owning pits after doing a great deal of research, yet I still feel so uneducated about the breed compared to everyone on these boards! I'm sure many of you will school me.
You have good intentions and that is what counts. Ears have nothing to do with being a pure pit, there are pits that have houndish ears and others that have bat ears.

The behavior problem I am discussing is fearfulness, and nipping excessively. The mother teaches the pups to play soft and the litermates play with each other and teach other how to play without hurting each other. A lot of dogs that are removed too soon from the mom and litermates develop fearful agression to other dogs they will begin to display that when you start walking them on the leash. You will see the dog turn on and go off for no reason. Keep the pup interacting with the 10 week old pup a lot but make sure you are always supervising their interaction. The next few weeks will be crucial make sure everything is healthy and possitive.

If this is your first time with this breed type make sure you get a book on the breed. These dogs make wonderful companions but they don't do so well with other dogs.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been researching pits constantly and if there is information I can not find I always visit our local extreme k9 pitbull store to seek advice. Do you think a muzzle would be a wise investment for when she gets old enough for walks/runs?

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I have been researching pits constantly and if there is information I can not find I always visit our local extreme k9 pitbull store to seek advice. Do you think a muzzle would be a wise investment for when she gets old enough for walks/runs?
I wouldn't go that far just yet, as long as you keep her away from other dogs you should be fine. When she is done with all her shots, take her to a puppy social class so she can learn more manners and more playful behaviors. Once she completes those sessions, take her to a good beginners obedience class this should be done aroudn 5 months.

·
Registered
859 Posts
wow that puppy is young :( good luck to you and wat David has pointed out are all valid points. i also had to take a puppy away from her mother at a very young age 8 weeks i believe but the mother was sick and this puppy wasn't being taken care of and also the runt. She did grow up with behavioral issues and it was not easy everyday is a constant battle with training her. Of course I never gave up but it is hard work! And it can be done but I wasn't a first time Pit bull owner so I had some experience but it was not easy. Good luck to you :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am very patient so I am pretty confident in my ability to train her once she is older. The only thing I'm worried about is our cat since the pups are inside right now until they finish their shots. Any suggestions on helping them coexist without too many issues? I never leave the animals unattended together.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
expose them to the cat immediately if the dogs get rude with the cat correct them immediately but do not remove them from the scenario. Just let them hang out together, the cat will slap them silly if they get out of line. But make sure whatever you do that the dogs do not act nasty towards the cat. If you expose them constantly and have them hang out a lot together and they will be fine when they older.

This is my big boy with his feline buddies :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thing that I worry about is that our cat is just too friendly. When the pups pin him down he just lays there and doesn't defend himself. I expose them to each other but it doesn't work nearly as well as you would think. Its mostly our bully that is the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thing that I worry about is that our cat is just too friendly. When the pups pin him down he just lays there and doesn't defend himself. I expose them to each other but it doesn't work nearly as well as you would think. Its mostly our bully that is the issue.
Then why try having them together if as you say the bully is the issue? You say "pups" so is there just one or more? How long have you had the pup(s) And with that it can take time when it comes to introducing any two animals.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bully is the 10 week old pup that I mentioned. And she is 6 weeks. We just got them about a week and a half ago. So the baby is probably around 7 and a half weeks now, or less if what you all said was accurate. And I'm trying to have them together because I had been told by a friend that if you keep exposing them, after a few months they will eventually get along. Apparently this method isn't working too well =/ I just don't want the cat to die within the few months of waiting.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
You shouldn't allow your pups to pin the cat down, as soon as that happens correct the dog. Keep it doing immediately until they get the point that going on top of the cat is not acceptable.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
that white dog looks very immature I wouldn't be surprised if he was younger than you thought when you go it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes it can take awhile just don't leave either the cat or the pups unsupervised at all. With time and patience it can work, it's not something that happens overnight..:)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts