Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New York City, NY: Pit bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers banned from public housing
Posted on April 29, 2009 by stopbslcom
New York City Housing Authority
250 Broadway, New York, New York 10007
Phone: 212-306-3000
Send a message to the Chairman, Ricardo Elías Morales: Message to the Chairman, New York City Housing Authority

There are a lot of things wrong with the article below (especially the assertion that "pit bulls are now public enemy number 1″-was that written into the policy somewhere?), but the real kicker is the poll on the side. Read it and think really hard about the options.

Do you agree with banning certain dog breeds from public housing?

1. Yes. Dogs that are trained to be violent should be kept out of public housing.

2. No. The training, not the breed is important.

Whichever choice you make, you're agreeing that training matters, not breed. Thus, the first option makes very little sense and may mislead people into voting "yes" to the ban because they agree that dogs that are trained to be violent should be kept out of public housing (I agree with that, too).

Pit bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers banned from public housing

Pit bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers banned from public housing
BY Oren Yaniv and Lisa L. Colangelo
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Wednesday, April 29th 2009, 4:00 AM

Pit bulls are now Public Enemy No.1 at city housing projects.

Starting Friday, the powerful popular breed that's sometimes trained to be violent is banned from all apartments run by the city Housing Authority.

"Finally someone is realizing that these potentially dangerous animals have no place in a confined urban space," said City Councilman Peter Vallone (D-Queens), who has unsuccessfully lobbied state legislators to ban the dogs.

The Housing Authority regulations also bar residents from owning any dog over 25 pounds. The current policy allows dogs that weigh up to 40 pounds. In addition, owning Rottweilers and Doberman pinschers also is banned under the new rules.

Housing Authority residents who already have the breeds will be able to keep them as long as they register by Friday.

City housing officials said residents urged them to ban the dogs that they claim are too vicious and threatening.

But dog lovers who have pit bulls and the other targeted pooches are upset.

"He's my baby," Jose Hernandez, 32, who lives in the Lillian Wald Houses on the lower East Side, said of his 6-year-old pit bull, Chopper. "These are not bad dogs."

"It all depends on how you teach a dog," said Anthony Nieves, 37, as he walked his 1-year-old pit bull, Storm, near his home at the Wald Houses.

"My dog is like a puppy," Nieves said.

The ASPCA and other groups opposed to the ban have been working with the city housing agency to ease some of the restrictions.

"We are opposed to breed-specific bans," said Michelle Villagomez, ASPCA senior manager of advocacy and campaigns.

"And we find the weight restriction is too oppressive. So many breeds are over 25 pounds. You can get an overweight beagle that weighs more than 25 pounds."

[email protected]

·
Registered
48 Posts
that will never be enforced

yes it means the projects,the cops dont even like going in there so i know animal control won't.new yorkers love there dogs,that bill is gonna go no where

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I guess the downside is that if you ask the government for help, you have to take it with their rules. Lots of regular apartment complexes do not allow large dogs, or pets at all. My guess is that this will pass, and honestly it's kind of a catch 22, if you can't afford your own housing, can you afford the needs of a large dog? But, the dogs will probably be confiscated and put down, so in the end it is a no win situation for the dogs. I am imagining that for every responsible pet owner in the projects there are 2 or 3 that are not, and when one of those large unsocialized dogs (of any breed) bites someone, the government is the property owner and gets sued. It's a bad situation, and I guess I kind of just assumed that you are not allowed to have large pets there, my SIL lives in section 8 housing, and cannot have pets, even cats.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has already been passed and yeah it sucks cause its against our breed but then again most people that live in this kind of housing arent responsible enough to take care of our breed so its kind of a catch 22

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with the fact that these people cant take care of these breeds. But at the same time, why only these particular breeds, why aren't all large dogs banned?

Oh thats right, according to councilman peter vallone, they are "potentially dangerous". Mr vallone please explain what the F**k isn't potentially dangerous?.

·
Registered
48 Posts
what do u mean by those people,the rent they pay in the projects, compare to where some of you live, is like a mortgage payment.every thing in new york is expensive, even the ghetto.that law will never be enforced,and i will tell u why.they're too many projects in nyc,plus 60% of pitbull owners in n.y.c.are the hipsters, yuppie types.for example Rachael ray and so on.i know because i have lived there my whole life.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I have lived in NY and had many friends in the projects, while some people live responsibly, and use it as a stepping stone to help in a hard time, too many people do not seem to be motivated to leave, and treat it as permanent housing, and expecting the same freedoms that come with that. Like I said, many non-government subsidized apartments don't allow large dogs, and I had also said that for every 1 responsible owner there are probably 2 or 3 who are not. So many people in the projects take advantage of lower housing costs, subsidized by the government, and then do not want to accept the rules. If you live anywhere that you do not own, you are subject to the rules of the property owner. If I move back in with my mom, and she says no pets, then I have to accept her rules, or find somewhere else to live. The truth of it is, yes NY is expensive, but it is not the only place to live, people can choose to live in a less expensive city. If a job does not pay you enough to live near it, then it might be time to consider a new job in a new location, no solution is perfect, like I said, it is a catch-22, but if you are struggling and living in the projects, how will you pay for a $2000 surgery if your dog needs it? I feel the same way about children, and deadbeat boyfriends and girlfriends, if you are in a tough spot, do not purposely have another child, or take in a loser man or woman, the whole family will suffer, same with a dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts