Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new to pitties, but I have been a long time rescuer of Boston Terriers. After losing our last, Lucy, in September, we ended up at a shelter to donate some of her things. We found a very sweet, supposed Lab mix, who we named Brady, and went from 20 pound dogs to an 80 pound beast!! Turns out he is actually a GSD / GSP. After a month or so, we decided he could really use a buddy to help him burn off his never ending supply of energy. The next day, we happened to be at our vet's office with him and mentioned a second dog to his Dr. She immediately dragged me to the back of the clinic to see a severely emaciated, lymes positive, worm infested, black and white female pittie who ended up there just a few hours earlier as a stray. Of course she came home with us! Bella is simply the cutest, most affectionate, loyal, and sweetest dog I have ever known. She's made me a total fan of the breed! Her DNA results just came back showing that she is a staffordshire bull terrier. Very short and stubby with chubby legs that crack us up every time she runs and pounces on a toy :)

I look forward to meeting everyone and learning a lot about the breed on here! I'll be starting a new thread in the picture forum with lots of pics of her over the past month with us :roll:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum she is beautiful. However there are some things this vet should have gone over with you before bringing this dog home into a multi dog home. These breeds are known to be DA ( dog aggressive) and this can turn on really at any age. Typically you see when there hormones start kicking in around 1year to 2 years but anytime after this can happen as well. There are TONS of threads on here that go over DA and what it is in full and things that can trigger it like food, toys, attention ect. There are things you can do to curb this like removing trigger objects and not leaving them unattended EVER , so If you go out or have to go work crateing one is always recommended. Alot of storys start " they got along so well and then we came home to find ...." So just something to keep in mind. Not every dog of this breed develops DA but its something to keep in mind and something you should have known before getting into the breed. Hopefully she works well for you , I found males and females do best together vs same sex pairings. And the DNA has never been known to be accurate Iv seen pure papered dogs come back with very odd and random results so take results from that for what you want, really without papers you dont know what you have But I do see am staff or similar breed in her so could just call her a cross or rescue.
Thats sad someone could just dump there sick dog like that , how is her health now ? Good on you for helping this girl out though and again I hope it all works out for the best. Hope you stick around there is tons to learn here and any questions that may come up owning her just ask there is always someone here to help.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Whats a pittie?

.. Anyway the APBT and any mix thereof or any breed that can be traced back to the same history, including but not limited to Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Bully.. None need "buddies".. While the level of genetic DA (dog aggression) can vary from breed to breed, none of these fine hounds should be fully trusted.. This is not something that can be "taught" out of of "trained" out of as you can't fight genetics.. The APBT is the most "sever" in terms of pairing DA with drive however any of these hounds or mixes of can have genetic DA.. Since you rescued, theres no way of knowing what exactly is the genetic make up of your new pet so its just best guess and move on.. There is a relatively decent chance of one of the mentioned breeds being involved in the genetic make up that created your new pup however theres no sure fire way of knowing without knowing the history.. AKA written or registry PED form..

I would strongly discourage you from leaving both of your dogs together alone at any given time, invest in a break stick (a few to keep with you in different places.. I.E, house, car, etc) and learn how to properly use it.. If an accidental yard fight does occur, its the safest and easiest way of separating a bulldog in the mist of a fight.. Yelling, screaming, crying, jumping in the middle, making loud noises, etc has no bearing on a real fight with these dogs as if a fight does break out, typically.. They will want to finish it regardless of who started it..

Also, no dark parks, no doggy friends, etc.. You may believe your "pittie" may never hurt a fly however it can only take one specific moment for genetic DA to surface and if you are not over prepared.. You are not prepared..

The typical "rules" of owning other breeds are thrown out the window when it comes down to properly handling these hounds.. The fact your dog is a mix could mean anything including no breed that falls under the medias term "Pit Bull" and could actually be two or more entirely different breeds in the genetics.. Given that you don't know it is a good idea to prepare for what can happen in the event of as there is no harm in preparing.. If it never comes it never comes but if it does you will be thankful..

Hope you stick around and learn as much as you can.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Great advice above, but I think I saw on another a picture of them looking for a cat? Please do NOT ever leave your cat loose around your girl either. I have known people to have their poor kitties suffer the worst when they pissed their pup off one too many times. One was even alone while the owner was in the bathroom. Just something else to respect and learn about the breed you have :)

KM I am gonna start referring to them as pibbles just to make you happy lol. ;)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Very cute pup :) Welcome to GP!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.