Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there I've been doing my research on different sites and came across this one..so heres my situation me and my husband just adpoted a 18 month old female Am Staff from the humane society (said perfect family dog on her cage) we wanted a same age compainion for our male Sheppard mix and found Gemma. She is VERY mouthy and rough plays alot our w of Shepard who is usually full of spunk gets fed up easily w her spirit causing him to hide in his crate, she also is rough w me for instance out of the blue i will be picking some thing up off the floor and she will run up playfully nipping and mouthing my hands but very hard..when I try and correct her behavior by sharply saying NO! She seems to get more hyper (BULL IN THE CHINA SHOP CRAZY) jumping on my chest and mouthing harder...so then I cage her. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? LOL she listens to my husband just fine well for the most part, can I mention we have only had her for a week so I want to hear what I can do to show her whos boss around here...suggestions????

·
Registered
91 Posts
well i have the same thing out of my blue brindle male but i don't have the nipping problem he doesn't want to obey any female the reason why is my friend was the only one that made him mind and his wife would let him go but it's hard some times to break old habits like the nipping

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Welcome! I would wait to have her play with the other dog until she listens and obeys you first off. these dogs can be very dog aggressive and do NOT need other doggie companions. Please do not ever leave your dogs together unattended, even to go get the mail or go the bathroom. A vet bill waiting to happen are 2 known dog aggressive dogs are unsupervised.

Now it seems like she isn't getting enough exercise. How much does she get a day? (I would think they need a lot more stimulation and exercise than shepherd breeds, but I am not 100% sure wont hurt to work both). I do know that unless my boy gets a few miles, fast pace, walk a day AND at least an hour or so of fetch, spring pole, herding with his balls, etc he is like a puppy with the amount of energy he has.

Caging her isn't going to work, the crate should be a happy place with fun stuff only, NEVER punishment. When he starts to act up, immediately walk away, cross your arms and look away from her. If she jumps, put your knee up to block the jump but don't interact or give her other attention. Do not communicate with her until she calms down and sits or realizes if she wants your attention he has to act a certain way. If she doesn't stop, just don't interact with him again until she does. When she stops and calms down give her lots of praise, give her a treat give her something so she can associate being calm with a nice reward. she is looking for your attention good bad or otherwise its all the same to her.

My boy used to nip a lot when he was excited. I got a chuck it ball (Amazon.com: Chuckit! Ultra Ball Large 3-inch, 1 pack: Pet Supplies) and every time I came home or my boy started acting crazy I handed him the ball. He now goes to that ball and his energy chewing it while he wiggles around when I come home instead of jumping around and nipping out of excitement.

I would also never allow rough play, if they get rough, you need to stop the play and have them take a time out and then let the play resume. They get rough, play stops, continue. you need to train them what your limits since its still new to both of them. Are they spayed and neutered?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much yes both fixed..shepard very subbmissive let's her just beat him up while he cowars by me..I have walked her everyday for about a half hour 45 mins around my neighborhood just for her to let off some energy..I feel bad for her since being caged since JULY at the shelter! Then I'm trying to make her calm when she prob just stir crazy hu? Well hopefully w some patience and obediance courses we can get through this I'm brusied and exhausted lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Thank you so much yes both fixed..shepard very subbmissive let's her just beat him up while he cowars by me..I have walked her everyday for about a half hour 45 mins around my neighborhood just for her to let off some energy..I feel bad for her since being caged since JULY at the shelter! Then I'm trying to make her calm when she prob just stir crazy hu? Well hopefully w some patience and obediance courses we can get through this I'm brusied and exhausted lol
ugh I hear that! head is made of rock I am sure, I hate when my dives after the ball and catches my knee cap. Of if he jumps when I and going to tie my shoe, almost broke my nose once. Wondered how I would explain that one, lol. Good Luck! Keep at it and you can also try to fill some KINGS up with peanut butter and freeze it. Or pumpkin Puree, or cheese or Hamburger. Frozen it lasts them a while and keeps them entertained and using their brains on how to get it out.

and I would LOVE to see some pictures when you have a chance!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello, I just joined myself.

So your girl is mouthy and rough play. Usually Shepherds do the same thing, however yours seems to be a bit on the soft side.

Anyhow, what I would do, if I was you, I'd put self and impulse control on your girl which will go a long way.

That being said, it's work. It doesn't happen in just a day and yes, it will help the dog. I've been there and done it. My new girl has a lot of drive, is very energetic, a very rough player too. Whenever I had something in my hands...she'd go at it. When somebody had a string hanging out of his pocket (from a ball) she'd go after it.... no control whatsoever.

Do Crate Games from Susan Garrett. These games are fantastic. They WILL make a difference. Like I said, it's not going to happen in just one day. They are easy, simple but will make a huge difference in living with your dog.

Crate Games

Instead of a sit, we are using a down. :)

And a dog is NEVER too old for crate games. :)

·
Banned
86 Posts
From what I read about nipping, dogs nip cause they usually are bored. By you yelling NO, its exactly what she wants. She's getting attention. What I do is put them in the cage or bathroom, praise her by giving her a pet on the head then give her a chew toy. This works for my pup, but I don't know if it will help a 2 yo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts