Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all have a few questions for the board. I have a questionable on age and breed ?? Pitt..maybe?? My daughter bought a female from these people a yr. ago ..backyard breeder...she felt bad for the pup and fell in love with it every day as she jogged past her in her kennel. So she approached the people and they sold her Bella. She is short, stocky and pure muscle. Also more energy then a 1000 volts of electricity,smile. Well three weeks ago she called me and said ..Oh Mom, they have the sweetest baby for sale and I feel so bad for him..sighhh. I just happened to be visiting her shortly after and low and behold here they come to visit. Needless to say he now resides with me. Tried to get a pic of parents sent to my phone hasn't happened yet. Supposedly they own mom. They said he was 8 wks. However he has great balance & movement, as in not wobbly runs and jumps with ease. His eye's aren't blue anymore so I thought maybe 12-14 wks. The vet said 11 wks as he hadn't lost any teeth yet. That was 3 wks ago . I noticed he has lost 2 of his front upper teeth within the the last week. So at what age do they start to lose teeth?? I'm not new to the breed . My boyfriend came home with a pup 10 yrs ago..we had him till he was 5. Never had a problem with him when it came to animal aggression. In fact we had to unaltered male Rotts and Kane our Pitt also not fixed. It was the Rotts we had issues with and had to keep separate. Kane the pitt would go to lengths not to fight. I have several friends with them and they have no issues nor does my daughter. So I had no worries about this little guy...That is till I started doing research this past week reading forums. I am now worried and totally confused as to the difference between AMPBT, AMSTAFF, BULLY, and the dog aggression the forums are stating will be likely after a yr. old. I have a male and female Mastiff I show in conformation. So not fixed. Is it really a tried and true they will be dog aggressive after maturity? I like I said, never witnessed this with ours.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
welcome to GP :D not every single apbt is da .. but be prepared for it because most are.. i have 2 that would play all day with the others.. i would crate and rotate just to be on the safe side ;) we'd love to see pics of your little guy!!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Dog aggression goes hand in hand with pit bull type breeds. The chances of your pits not getting along with other dogs is very high and why those of us who have multiple dogs keep them separate and they do not live with each other. You can never leave them alone together, never feed them together, crate them while you are gone, and maybe they might get along with supervision but that could change at anytime. If you have pictures that would be great but this can be true of a true pit bull or a mix.

edit to add you may not have troubles right away or not even for years with some dogs but that can change at anytime. I have had dogs get along for 8 years with no problems then one day it was world war 3! you need to be prepared for it if it does happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank's for the response guy's. Appreciate it . So is it OK to let him play with my other dogs now since he is a pup? Or not at all? I was thinking it would be easier to teach him acceptable behavior while utilizing play time to train. The vet said he is about 11 wks, That was 3 wks ago. He just started to lose his top teeth 2 of them. How old roughly are they when they fall out?Here are the pics . He is impossible to photograph,doesn't sit still long enough. Like I said I was told APBT..but I don't know enough about the breed to even guess if he is a mix or not. But with those eyes ...who cares!!:hug:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
wow he is super cute!!! You can let them play, but you MUST watch like a HAWK the entire time so you can look for signs that there maybe trouble. Even if they grow up and are "friends" for years, you can NEVER leave them alone with other animals. Puppies don't usually show too much DA until 9-10 months, socializing with other dogs is OK in some circumstances, it helps teach the puppy how to behave, but just look for signs of aggression and make sure your older dogs appear to be correcting the behavior not adding to it. Just watch them and when it starts to get rough, you need to step in and correct it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great Board

Thanks everyone, I really like the positive feed back on this board. Great job moderators& members. Lots of great info!!

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
wow he's a cutie! read up and research as much as you can and invest in a break stick. Enjoy your pup! and welcome to GP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts