Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!

I have been a member for a while, but this is my first post. I recently became the pet parent of the best puppy in the world, his name is Steve:

He is about twelve weeks old, and I love him to pieces. I have owned dogs before, but being a youngish adult (22) this is the first dog that has been wholly my responsibility and I have some questions. I know that some breeds of dogs are sensitive to Heartgard, are APBTs included among them? What about flea and tick preventatives, are there any I should avoid? Recommendations are always welcome.

The last question I have is behavioral. Me and my husband sleep with our puppy in the bed with us with no problems, but if there are other dogs (or the occasional cat) trying to snuggle down with him he seems to be slightly uncomfortable. He never growls or snaps, he will just put up a face and sigh, as if he is doing us a huge favor by letting everyone share his beloved sleeping space. Is this something that we should address or do you think it is harmless?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting to know everyone here!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
First off Hi and welcome. :) Glad to have you. Some APBT are sensitive to certain foods. I have not heard of one having trouble with heartgaurd but that would be something to talk to your vet about.

I think the sigh is his way of saying he is content. All of my dogs will do a sigh when they are truely happy.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
I love Steve! What a face!

I agree with all above, they sigh when they are happy. Things to watch out for would be nipping, lunging, things of that sort. I have 3 cats and 2 dogs who all get along relatively well because they were introduced at a young age. Never leave them alone unattended however, it just takes once for a serious or fatal accident to occur with high drive pets like pit bulls, which can have tendencies towards dog aggression and animal agression.

Loki used to growl when touched while he was sleeping as a puppy. This was something I nipped in the bud by constantly touching his face and getting him used to being handled. He now lets our other dog (who is not a pit) and even the cats clean his ears.

Oh and welcome!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
OMG Steve is way to freakin cute, my only thing about Heartguard or any flea and tick or heartowrm treatment is if the dog is epileptic, it should not be used, but you do not have to worry about that, lol. SOrry speakin from expierence, lol. Anyway, I have to go with everyone else here, doesn't sound like he is being ugly, just content and happy he is where he is,lol.

Welcome to GP, and more pics please :D

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I would consider crating the dog when he goes to bed. If you allow him to sleep with you guys correct him if he ever tries to get an attitude with your cat. A lot of dogs tend to get possesive of resting places at home and you have to keep them in check. 22 weeks old is very young, if you raise him correctly with discipline and boundaries when he is three times his size he will be a good boy. I would suggest taking a formal obedience class with the dog as well and exposing him to all kinds of scenarios, including people, noise, cars, objects and I also recommend a puppy social. YOur dog may grow up to totally hate other furry things but if you have taught good obedience the dog will learn to focus on you and not his prey drive.

UNless you have a flea problem where you live I wouldn't put anything on him, make sure you stay away from shrubs or low bushes since a lot of them fleas and ticks hang out around there.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I forgot to add please keep your dog away from dog parks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I forgot to add please keep your dog away from dog parks!
In general I am not a fan of dog parks, to socialize him we like to take him to places he has never been and introduce him around on leash. I have three other dogs at home so he gets plenty of dog time, and we do a bit of obedience every day. He does have a crate for when I am not in the house (with eyes on him) and he goes into it nicely. Generally he only makes noise in it when he has to go outside, he will just chew on his Kong or take a nap until he is let out. but I have a California King sized bed for the purpose of sleeping with my animals, and have never had a problem. I don't think he will need an attitude adjustment, I think he just feels a bit put out.

I live in Florida, and we have BUGS down here. Also we spend lots of time in Tennesee (hunting and visiting family) and out there in the bush we are lucky to get home with less than 5 ticks on US, much less the doggies lol.

Also, for apbtmom76, I will get some more pictures and head over to the pictures thread :)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Sounds like you got it covered with the huge bed lol

By the way your dog will change when it hits puberty and it will test you and the other animals.

·
Super Moderator
4,561 Posts
I'm in FL also. Ecko uses heartgaurd no problem. I think it's some shepherd breeds that have issues with it like Collies and such. I use Frotline on Ecko as well and have had no issues.

Yeah, the bug problem down here is like 365 days a year. Most states get a reprieve in the winter, we suffer all year long.

Welcome to the forum and Steve is one cute puppie. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your Dog Sleeping With You

Hello Everyone. This is my first day as a member of gopitbull and I woulld like to add my two cents worth to the topic Sleeping With Your Dog.
My 80lb, American Bulldog, Belle sleeps with me in "MY BED" every night. I trained Belle in the very start of sleeping on the bed that it was my decision & not her decision to sleep on the bed. Sleeping on my bed is by invitation only. Belle was trained to sleep only at the foot of the bed. She is not allowed to scratch or lick herself while on my bed. I will hear Belle in the middle to the night getting off the bed onto the floor where she enjoys a good scratch. In the morning, I pat the pillow next to me which is my invitation for her to join me at the head of the bed. Belle never comes to the head of the bed without having an invitation. I believe that if your dog respects you, understands that they must live by your rules and somethings are by invitation only, that it is perfectly ok for your dog to sleep in the bed with the head of the household, which is, without question, YOU.
What do you think?
Goliath
IMG_0910.jpg

569.jpg

405.JPG

IMG_0510.jpg

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
That's a pretty boy you got there, how tall is he?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Belle, is a 2 year old female(DOB 7/7/08). Some of the pics were taken when Belle was approx.
1 1/2 yrs old to 2yrs.
Belle is 24" from the floor to the top of her shoulders. Her top of her head measures 6" from the base of one ear to the base of the other ear.
I would like to know some measurements, weight, etc. on other member's dogs.
Goliath

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
She looked shorter than I thought. Bernie is 22 inches tall 78 pounds with rib almost showing :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts