Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my name is Greg, I am currently stationed at Fort Bliss in the Army. I don't currently have a dog of my own but because I plan on getting a Blue APBT and a Red Nose I figured I would come here for information before I dive head deep into ownership(or should that be family-ship?).

I have never had a pet before. When I was a kid my dad didn't want a pet because his philosophy was that he would be the one taking care of it so he didn't want to have to deal with it. But after I met my friends Blue I fell in love. I don't think there is a cooler dog than a well mannered APBT.

Before I ask any dumb (are there any when it comes to a topic like this) questions, are there any major things I should know about APBT's before I make the jump?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Where my ex husband was stationed, Pitbull breeds were not aloud on base. How long are you going to be in the army and who will be caring for the pup when you are over seas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, they are still not allowed on base.

I am probably going to be here for another year at most. Then I will have 2 years left on this enlistment. I don't plan to get a pup until I am out of the Army and can care for him/her a little better.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I would recommend reading all these threads.

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/33142-so-you-want-american-pit-bull-terrier.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/17493-breed-clarification.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/11755-want-own-american-pit-bull-terrier-get-used-giving-up.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/11672-did-you-say-dog-park.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/19776-seven-stage-breeder.html

APBTs are not a breed I would recommend for a first time dog owner, but if you go about it responsibly it may work out.

You highly need to understand and except this breeds heritage and understand they are a dog aggressive breed by nature.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Do you like to exercise? These pups need at least a few miles and lots of time to play and tug and LOVE LOVE their owners, so if you are not around that much, they are not the best breed to own. they can go go go as long as you let them. A tired pit bull is a happy pit bull owner :)

Owning this breed is hard because you have to have a thick skin. you may lose friends, or family, over owning one. You will be surprised at how many people will try to talk you out of it and convince you the media hype is true. Some people's perceptions are horrible so you will ALWAYS have to defend them. As PS said, Army bases, and almost EVERY apartment complex discriminates against this breed. City and town laws regarding ownership varies so check where you want to live so you don't have to be forced to muzzle your dog off property, like some places have to, or have incredibly high Insurance policy restrictions.

Also, of course you can have multiple dogs and learn to crate and rotate them, but Pit Bulls don't need doggie friends, and if you are planning on having 2 you may have to be prepared to keep them separated, ESPECIALLY when you are not home. They can NEVER be left alone together EVER.

Also Blue and red are just colors, they are not a breed of the APBT. I know the the American Bully is described as having less animal aggression than other dogs, so that maybe a way for you to go, but I don't know much more about them.

I think its awesome you are doing your research before you get a dog and find out these things too late. I am NOT trying to dissuade you from getting one of these amazing dogs, just being straight with you. I hope it works out!!

sorry i posted before Holly posted all the awesome links :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would recommend reading all these threads.

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/33142-so-you-want-american-pit-bull-terrier.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/17493-breed-clarification.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/11755-want-own-american-pit-bull-terrier-get-used-giving-up.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/11672-did-you-say-dog-park.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/goldmine/19776-seven-stage-breeder.html

APBTs are not a breed I would recommend for a first time dog owner, but if you go about it responsibly it may work out.

You highly need to understand and except this breeds heritage and understand they are a dog aggressive breed by nature.
Thanks for the links.

I have already read a couple of them a few times.

The only reason that I think I can get buy with an APBT as a first time pet is because I have quite a few friends with them. I figure before I actually go for it I will ask them what troubles they had, and what they had to do in order to raise the pup right.

Oh and exercise is not a problem. I am so used to running that I think when I get out I will have to continue getting up early and going for a run just because it helps me wake up in the morning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you like to exercise? These pups need at least a few miles and lots of time to play and tug and LOVE LOVE their owners, so if you are not around that much, they are not the best breed to own. they can go go go as long as you let them. A tired pit bull is a happy pit bull owner :)

Owning this breed is hard because you have to have a thick skin. you may lose friends, or family, over owning one. You will be surprised at how many people will try to talk you out of it and convince you the media hype is true. Some people's perceptions are horrible so you will ALWAYS have to defend them. As PS said, Army bases, and almost EVERY apartment complex discriminates against this breed. City and town laws regarding ownership varies so check where you want to live so you don't have to be forced to muzzle your dog off property, like some places have to, or have incredibly high Insurance policy restrictions.

Also, of course you can have multiple dogs and learn to crate and rotate them, but Pit Bulls don't need doggie friends, and if you are planning on having 2 you may have to be prepared to keep them separated, ESPECIALLY when you are not home. They can NEVER be left alone together EVER.

Also Blue and red are just colors, they are not a breed of the APBT. I know the the American Bully is described as having less animal aggression than other dogs, so that maybe a way for you to go, but I don't know much more about them.

I think its awesome you are doing your research before you get a dog and find out these things too late. I am NOT trying to dissuade you from getting one of these amazing dogs, just being straight with you. I hope it works out!!

sorry i posted before Holly posted all the awesome links :)
I KNOW that the media hype is false.

My friend has a Blue APBT that weighs about, eh 65-70 pounds. BUILT!! Most people would be scared to even get within 5 feet of him. I'm not gonna lie, I was timid at first. That was until he jumped up and started licking my face. He then proceeded to sit right between my legs and "guard" me. Keep in mind that I had never seen nor met this dog before. Then the second time I met him, he ran over to me looked me in the eye, and decided my lap was a great sleep to lay down.

That is what showed me that it is not the dog, but the owner. Pits are such great dogs, I just wish that the hype that surrounded them wasn't true.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I KNOW that the media hype is false.

My friend has a Blue APBT that weighs about, eh 65-70 pounds. BUILT!! Most people would be scared to even get within 5 feet of him. I'm not gonna lie, I was timid at first. That was until he jumped up and started licking my face. He then proceeded to sit right between my legs and "guard" me. Keep in mind that I had never seen nor met this dog before. Then the second time I met him, he ran over to me looked me in the eye, and decided my lap was a great sleep to lay down.

That is what showed me that it is not the dog, but the owner. Pits are such great dogs, I just wish that the hype that surrounded them wasn't true.
yeah we all do :) I keep the faith, what sucks is if they stop focusing on this breed they will just pick another one to destroy with lies. Its a sad vicious cycle. I figured you knew it was lies, I was just trying to explain some of what you may have to go through when you have one :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I know it will be a tough battle. But I have noticed that if you start early they are a very obedient breed that are extremely loyal to their owners.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
sorry but i dont think 2 dogs of this breed would be the best first pets, but the main thing to look out for is dog aggression and how to handle the dogs that are. but you do have support here and your friends. also you should look into the difference between apbts and american bullys. those blue apbt tend to be bullys not pure american pit bull terriers. american bullys are a mainly a cross between american stafforshire terrier and american pit bull terrier then later the dogs may or may not have been crossed with other breeds. any ways welcome aboard thank you for serving the country.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Just so you can see, this is what I plan to get.^^^ So cute.

Oh I only plan to get one dog. I dont think I could deal with two as a first time owner.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
are you sure your friend has APBT's? or could they be bullys? for a 1st time dog id be more inclined to look at the american bullys over the ABPT. Its good your looking into all this now and have alot of time to think it all over and research good for you for taking the time to do so. Making sure a breed that you are drawn to in looks matches up in every other aspect of your daily life.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Also, not sure if it was mentioned yet but if you are planning on getting two dogs you need to be prepared to live a crate and rotate type of life style once the dogs hit maturity. Some pups can even show signs of DA early on and may need to be separated even sooner than later. If you do want two dogs I would suggest male/female and either spay and neuter both or at least fix the bitch ;) We don't need anymore accidental breedings and pit bull/bully type breeds in shelters ;) Great move coming here first and asking many questions before diving in! That is your first step to being a "responsible pit bull owner" :) Oh......Thank you for all you are doing for us and our country!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you sure your friend has APBT's? or could they be bullys? for a 1st time dog id be more inclined to look at the american bullys over the ABPT. Its good your looking into all this now and have alot of time to think it all over and research good for you for taking the time to do so. Making sure a breed that you are drawn to in looks matches up in every other aspect of your daily life.
I really have no idea what breed they have. I just know they are some type of terrier breed. Either APBT or American Bully.

I figure with it being an idea for a first pet/family member I should get all the info I need before something happens that shouldn't.

Plus being in the Army I have learned that knowledge before you jump in tends to help you out greatly in the end.
Also, not sure if it was mentioned yet but if you are planning on getting two dogs you need to be prepared to live a crate and rotate type of life style once the dogs hit maturity. Some pups can even show signs of DA early on and may need to be separated even sooner than later. If you do want two dogs I would suggest male/female and either spay and neuter both or at least fix the bitch ;) We don't need anymore accidental breedings and pit bull/bully type breeds in shelters ;) Great move coming here first and asking many questions before diving in! That is your first step to being a "responsible pit bull owner" :) Oh......Thank you for all you are doing for us and our country!
No I am not planning on getting two dogs for my first pet ownership.

My reasoning for coming here first is from all the "horror" stories of people getting a dog that they weren't ready to get and it ends up bad. I want to make my pup a part of the family that gets along with anyone and loves his/her family.

You're welcome, it ain't such a hard job when you get down to it, lot's of sitting around wasting time, but hey that's kinda fun, just tends to waste money, haha.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
First... blue, and rednose are no breeds they are only colors of the coat and nose and do not signify anything special or out of the ordinary. Both are common colors. The true APBT rarely reaches more than 70lbs. There is a good chance your friends dog is not a true APBT. You should do a lot of reseach on the 4 major breeds commonly refereed to as pit bulls, including APBT the original, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (from england) And the newest the American Bully.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
My reasoning for coming here first is from all the "horror" stories of people getting a dog that they weren't ready to get and it ends up bad. I want to make my pup a part of the family that gets along with anyone and loves his/her family.
Well, you said your friends have dogs right? Do any of your friends breed there dogs? Just curious.....I would stay away from the backyard breeders and go to a professional who knows the breed and who is responsible ;) You want a healthy pup with a great temperament not a dog that was just bred for color. When you are ready to purchase a dog you can post up the kennel and the pros here will give you there opinion on whether or not you should acquire a dog from them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First... blue, and rednose are no breeds they are only colors of the coat and nose and do not signify anything special or out of the ordinary. Both are common colors. The true APBT rarely reaches more than 70lbs. There is a good chance your friends dog is not a true APBT. You should do a lot of reseach on the 4 major breeds commonly refereed to as pit bulls, including APBT the original, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (from england) And the newest the American Bully.
That's what my next step is going to be. After all this APBT, American, Blue, yellow, green, I gotta figure out what it is my buddy has, and what I think will fit my lifestyle the best.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, you said your friends have dogs right? Do any of your friends breed there dogs? Just curious.....I would stay away from the backyard breeders and go to a professional who knows the breed and who is responsible ;) You want a healthy pup with a great temperament not a dog that was just bred for color. When you are ready to purchase a dog you can post up the kennel and the pros here will give you there opinion on whether or not you should acquire a dog from them.
No, none of them breed them pups. It is hard to find a true breeder here in El Paso. I have been looking at adopting a pup from the HS so I can get one out of there. I don't like seeing good pups sit in a cage with the possibility they might not be there tomorrow. :(

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
No, none of them breed them pups. It is hard to find a true breeder here in El Paso. I have been looking at adopting a pup from the HS so I can get one out of there. I don't like seeing good pups sit in a cage with the possibility they might not be there tomorrow. :(
That would be wonderful of you to save a life. There are many great loving dogs always needing homes. There are just to many pit bulls and pit mixes sitting in the shelters and being euthanized on a daily basis.....very sad. I am sure you will find a blue dog and if not then maybe you will fall for another color ;) I am sure you will have many choices if your shelters are anything like ours and filled with pits, bullies, and mixes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are cute ones, growing on me the more I look at pups:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Pit Bull Terrier | El Paso, TX | CHUCO
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Pit Bull Terrier | El Paso, TX | ATHENA
I just like the look on this guy's face:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Pit Bull Terrier | El Paso, TX | RAJA

another cutie:
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Pit Bull Terrier | El Paso, TX | SAMSON

There are so many choices. Good thing I am gonna wait about three years before I make my decision and do my research before then.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts