Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m at a loss and don’t know where to go from here…
My dog’s behavior is getting out of hand. Here’s a couple scenarios from the past month:
1. He aggressively barks at and tries to bite through the fence to get to our neighbors’ dogs (multiple dogs on both sides). He used to love our previous neighbor’s female pitbull but when they moved and 3 new dogs showed up it’s a constant battle to get him away from the fence. It’s made worse if my 2 year old daughter is outside.
2. My daughter was playing on the floor and my dog was standing next to my husband and I who were sitting on the couch. My daughter reached for my shoe through his legs (towards the couch) and he freaked out and snapped at her.
3. My dog stayed at my parents’ house for the weekend and did fine with their older female pitbull. He wasn’t a huge fan of my brother’s puppy but the puppy instigates so I get it. But when I came to pick him up I brought my 2 year old daughter and my dog lunged at my parents’ pitbull twice in the 30 minutes we were there. The first time my parents’ dog was walking towards my daughter’s toys. The second time she simply walked by my daughter and he really got aggressive to the point I thought he bit the other dog.

A little context:
My pitbull just turned 4 and we’ve raised him since he was 8 weeks old. We did obedience training shortly after we got him but they weren’t super pitbull friendly so I’m not sure he got much out of it (still does decent with commands though). I had an older spaniel mix that he did well with but he died in 2020 (when my pitbull was about 1 1/2 years old). He’s also previously done well with my parents’ older female pitbull who stays with us when they go on vacation.
Also in 2020 (January) I had a baby. He’s usually very good with her, she hit him in the face the other day and he didn’t even flinch (and yes I immediately grabbed her and corrected her). We teach her to leave him alone when he’s in his bed, not to hit or pull his tail/ears or get in his face. He licks her all the time (and she giggles and thinks it’s hilarious) and he’ll lay his head on her lap or let her lean on him while he’s laying on the couch.

I feel like this is possessive behavior since most of it seems to happen when my daughter is around but he did snap at her so I'm terrified he’s going to hurt her (or anyone for that matter). My husband is brushing it off and saying he’s just being “over-protective” and we just have to keep correcting him but I feel like this is a serious issue and we should do something more to stop this behavior.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would immediately find a trainer who works with behavioral issues and is familiar with bully breeds. He may just be starting to not tolerate other dogs that well which is totally normal. I think a good priority right now in addition to finding a trainer ASAP is to really work on his recall so that he will come not matter what is going on. I wish you well with it. Je's an awfully cute boy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts